By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

Esiar said:
:-o I come back and one of the threads on the top has to do with religion?!?!?! And it is when I come back from bein inactive for a bit?!?!?! YES!

Well I am a Christian, so I believe that Atheists are Atheists because they hate God and don't want him to exist, so they lie to themselves and say that there is no evidence for the existence of God even though It's right in front of them.

did you come up with that "theory" after reading this thread in which many people explained (sometimes in great detail) why they can't believe in the existence of a god or did you only read the topic and then posted your prejudice?

that is something you should reflect on

Around the Network

There's things that we can't see but we can feel them or experience their influence on us. I've never felt or experienced anything remotely similar to what people call God, so I'm not a believer. Plus I don't like most religions, I was raised a Catholic but I was never into it, none of it ever made sense to me.

You seem to be intentionally pushing the idea that atheism is a religion, even though its very definition is the lack of religion. I'm sure you've already been called out on that, but it's so stupid I had to comment on it. Not playing baseball is not a sport. Try to get it.
As for why I'm an atheist, there's simply nothing in the world to indicate that some sort of god really exists.

Dante9 said:
You seem to be intentionally pushing the idea that atheism is a religion, even though its very definition is the lack of religion.

I'd like to correct you here. It is the lack of belief in a deity. There are religions without deities (non-theistic religions.) Religion just means you worship something. 

sc94597 said:
Dante9 said:
You seem to be intentionally pushing the idea that atheism is a religion, even though its very definition is the lack of religion.

I'd like to correct you here. It is the lack of belief in a deity. There are religions without deities (non-theistic religions.) Religion just means you worship something. 

To be fair, and this might sound out-of-nowhere, a religion is considered "real" or "official" when they are recognized and granted tax deductions by the state.

In that regard, atheism is a state of mind, rather then a religion.

Around the Network
DiscussionTime said:
sc94597 said:
Dante9 said:

To be fair, and this might sound out-of-nowhere, a religion is considered "real" or "official" when they are recognized and granted tax deductions by the state.

If we all lived in one state then maybe that would be the qualification we should go by, but different nation-states treat qualifications for an "official religion" differently.  In many nation-states religions are not tax exempt. In others you must be large and historical to be considered a religion, and everything else is illegal. 

sc94597 said:
DiscussionTime said:
sc94597 said:
Dante9 said:

If we all lived in one state then maybe that would be the qualification we should go by, but different nation-states treat qualifications for an "official religion" differently.  In many nation-states religions are not tax exempt. In others you must be large and historical to be considered a religion, and everything else is illegal. 

That's fair. Another point I missed is that any religion must in some way be organized. Atheism has no such unity, other then a general shared opinion on the concept of God (or lack there of). 

Well this has gone far enough now. There have been two mod warnings and a number of bans in this thread and up to this point the thread has continuously derailed into posts about religion vs. atheism (Specifically what the OP did not want, as stated in their disclaimer). Along with that, there have been a number of posts that only served to bait others or defame the other belief so I think we're done here.