By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

o_O.Q said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
o_O.Q said:

its funny how many people consider themselves atheists and then go on to for example drive around saturns and mazdas or exchange rings with their spouses when they marry all without realising the symbolism involved in these activities

then many of the same people turn around and call theists ignorant because of their blind following

Its not that they havent 'realised' the symbolism, its just that they've changed the symbolism to suit them.

Thats the difference between a religous person and a non-religious person. One is comfortable with changing man made constructs, the other is not.

lol you believe that they've changed? what has changed?

The symbolism has changed. The sames actions are no longer associated with religion or gods for many people.

Its the same with festivals as well. Christmas is about family dinner and presents to most people than it is about christ. Easter is about bagging a bargain to most people than it is about whatever it was traditionally associated with (I honestly dont know, and couldnt care less).

Just because people are not religious it doesnt mean they will let an opporunity to have a good time go to waste, thus they keep the best parts of these events and forget about the parts that dont make any difference yet consume time.

Around the Network

Being perfectly honest here, seems some atheists are one because they simply have parental issues born out of teenage rebellion tendencies.

Also noting is that most come from predominately Christian families and due to living in secular countries, there is no real pressure from either parents or state to pressure the next generation to adopt said religion.

You certainly won't see many atheists coming from Muslim or Jewish backgrounds.

Moderated for this post and others - Leadified

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Being perfectly honest here, seems some atheists are one because they simply have parental issues born out of teenage rebellion tendencies.

Also noting is that most come from predominately Christian families and due to living in secular countries, there is no real pressure from either parents or state to pressure the next generation to adopt said religion.

I think there are greater risks from a declaration of athiesm when having a Muslim background. Also Jews are the most athiest of all groups. They went through their transition from thiesm to athiesm before Christians, and Muslims still arent there yet. 

http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/RED-C-press-release-Religion-and-Atheism-25-7-12.pdf

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/new-poll-shows-atheism-on-rise-with-jews-found-to-be-least-religious-1.459477

You are also ignoring Asian/non-Abrahamic religions here. 

Religion is the main cause of homosexual's not having rights. Rights any human being should have.

That is why I dislike religion. (However, not all people in religious groups are bad people. I am not saying that at all. For example though, when it comes to the argument on if homosexuals will marry, religion is the argument used against it.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
Religion is the main cause of homosexual's not having rights. Rights any human being should have.

That is why I dislike religion. (However, not all people in religious groups are bad people. I am not saying that at all. For example though, when it comes to the argument on if homosexuals will marry, religion is the argument used against it.

I think religion is the medium through which justification is made for said belifs moreso than the cause of these beliefs. Homosexuality isn't only looked down upon by Christians, for example. Culture plays a crucial role here. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Paatar said:

I think religion is the medium through which justification is made for said belifs moreso than the cause of these beliefs. Homosexuality isn't only looked down upon by Christians, for example. Culture plays a crucial role here. 

I never specifically stated Christians. I just said religion.

Yes, culture has a part to play, but religion has been the main cause.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
sc94597 said:

I never specifically stated Christians. I just said religion.

Yes, culture has a part to play, but religion has been the main cause.

There are plenty of religions that don't codify treating homosexuals poorly. Heck, in Japan homosexuality was associated very oftenly with Buddhism. For that matter, you are implying certain specific religion(s) are the cause, not religion in general. And I would argue that in said religions it isn't just that the religions taught people to dislike homosexuals, but rather also that the dislike for homosexuality was a codification of some other cultural phenomena, religion being used as a medium to spread it. So the real origin/cause is something much deeper. I doubt the bigots today would be any less bigotted if religion didn't exist. They'd use some other excuse. The concept of a traditional family transcends religion. 

A perfect example of this is that China, as athiest as a country can get where religion is heavily regulated, outlawed homosexuality until 1997. The cause of this was the nature of government influence on the perception of what makes a family. China is an example of a country that is heavily involved in the demographics of its population, and homosexuality was contrary to such goals (first they wanted to create huge populations, and then they realized that homosexuality coupled with the one-child policy would cause familial strife because a homosexual would not continue the family biologically.) 

sales2099 said:

Which would be a monumentally inaccurate assumption, since Judaism is one of the few religions out there where you can actually be an atheist, AND Jewish.

Really interesting reasons

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

mornelithe said:
sales2099 said:

Which would be a monumentally inaccurate assumption, since Judaism is one of the few religions out there where you can actually be an atheist, AND Jewish.

By default your response means I'm half right with Muslim parents being strict with their children retaining the family faith. Wouldn't call that "monumentally innacurrate". Im sorry but being an athiest while believing in God is an oxymoron. You can quote hebrew scripture for me when you get the chance that validates this claim. Being Jewish in culture is different then being a religious one. You may have confused the two.

Your claim sounds like a Christian family, that enrolled their child in Catholic school, and got all the sacraments so for all intents and purposes they are Christian. But then the kid turns 16, turns rebellious and decides "I'm not going to Church anymore with you DAD!!!!!"

Is that what you mean by being "athiest but Jewish?" Seriously.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.