By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is it that the overwhelming majority of games on PS4/X1 presented like movies?

RubberWhistleHistle said:
Risthel said:
About Deus Ex, it is called CGI trailer, and the purpouse of it is to be spectacular. They existed since the 5th generation, nothing strange about it.
Anyway the overwhelming majority of PS4 and Xbox One games are indies, and they aren't movie-like at all.

but in the fifth generation, you didnt watch it and have it feel like you were watching a trailer for a movie. CGI was a new thing in the fifth gen with the playstation, and it was amazing when it came out and it was spectacular. you have to admit that at this point, CGI isnt as awe inspiring as it used to be. 

and im not referring to indies, im referring to AAA games that get retail releases. i guess i should have clarified that or something?

Ok, no indies. My point doesn't change, almost every AAA game has a movie like trailer, but it doesn't mean is going to be an interactive movie. Take The Witcher 3, for example, a lot of spectacular trailers, but i bet it's going to be a fantastic videogame. The only game close to your description that comes to my mind is The Order, and even here i'm not sure about it because i haven't played it. To tell the truth, the answer to your question should be taken for granted.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:
You see the trailer for Star Wars Battlefront? Super cinematic, using in-game assets, but the actual game will surely look nothing like that in play. It's called AAA trailers...if you can afford a cinema-style trailer, you do it as a show of financial power (and to attract the masses).

i guess that makes sense. the trailer compels the masses to buy the game because it shows that it has financial power, indicating that a lot of money was put into it, which means quality.

Because you refuse to acknowledge the ones that aren't like that.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If this is a valid foundation to accuse the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 and X1 games being like movies, perhaps we should start referring to games that still use speech bubbles as books.

pokoko said:

I played Human Revolution, which had excellent level design and game-play.  It also had plenty of story sequences, which did nothing but enhance my immersion.  Mankind Divided looks to be in the same mold, which is exactly what I want.

well if the story sequences enhanced your immersion of the game, then maybe that is good for deus ex, and maybe its good for another game, but im basically just wondering why so many games take that approach? its not that im attacking deus ex in particular, that was just the experience i had that really made me wonder why so many people are flipping out about a trailer that doesnt do anything different from what everyone else is doing. i mean, if its about the story that is hyping people, couldnt this just as well be happening if deus ex were a movie? 

The appeal of a story-driven game is that you're playing within an interactive frame-work that engages the imagination.  Personally, I love that and I know I'm not alone.  Looking back, Final Fantasy VI saved me from the gaming ennui I'd fallen into with interchangable platformers and beat 'em ups where the characters were caricatures and the story a cliche.  Final Fantasy became a force because it offered layers beyond memory- and twitch-based game-play.

It really feels like you're trying to build a false and dishonest argument.  Human Revolution had a good plot and good game-play, so it obviously was not a movie.  Having BOTH of those elements is what makes people excited.

A far better discussion would be about the trailers themselves and how they've changed since disc-based media has become standard and internet bandwidth has grown but I'm not sure that would meet your goals.

Around the Network

Really bad choice of game as an example, Deus Ex games are really nothing like movies, they've always been about choices in gameplay, though do they have story to tell.

As for this particular trailer, speaking as a fan since 2000, I don't find it to be very good, honestly I think it's pretty generic and it doesn't do justice to franchise.

pokoko said:

well if the story sequences enhanced your immersion of the game, then maybe that is good for deus ex, and maybe its good for another game, but im basically just wondering why so many games take that approach? its not that im attacking deus ex in particular, that was just the experience i had that really made me wonder why so many people are flipping out about a trailer that doesnt do anything different from what everyone else is doing. i mean, if its about the story that is hyping people, couldnt this just as well be happening if deus ex were a movie? 

The appeal of a story-driven game is that you're playing within an interactive frame-work that engages the imagination.  Personally, I love that and I know I'm not alone.  Looking back, Final Fantasy VI saved me from the gaming ennui I'd fallen into with interchangable platformers and beat 'em ups where the characters were caricatures and the story a cliche.  Final Fantasy became a force because it offered layers beyond memory- and twitch-based game-play.

It really feels like you're trying to build a false and dishonest argument.  Human Revolution had a good plot and good game-play, so it obviously was not a movie.  Having BOTH of those elements is what makes people excited.

A far better discussion would be about the trailers themselves and how they've changed since disc-based media has become standard and internet bandwidth has grown but I'm not sure that would meet your goals.

i think youre right that i should have just limited it to trailers, because it seems to be the focus of the discussion more-so than the game itself, but i feel like the way the games are designed are somewhat relevant to that. 

and what youre tlaking about with FF6 and platformers is exactly what im talking about. when one genre or style takes up the overwhelming majority of releases, it can be tiring. i would like it more if there were more variety from AAA developers.

Because that is the type of game that sells the most and scores the highest if the story is presented well. There are a few exceptions to this rule like Bloodborne, where the plot is cryptic. But most will try to use story to push a game because that is one of the first things most gamers look at these days.  With that said however, the final game is usually very far from an actual movie when u play it.

/thread

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

pokoko said:

i think youre right that i should have just limited it to trailers, because it seems to be the focus of the discussion more-so than the game itself, but i feel like the way the games are designed are somewhat relevant to that. 

and what youre tlaking about with FF6 and platformers is exactly what im talking about. when one genre or style takes up the overwhelming majority of releases, it can be tiring. i would like it more if there were more variety from AAA developers.

I actually agree.  That lack of variety is the reason I left Nintendo in the first place.

Other than that, I'm not sure about the exact argument you're using here.  Are you saying that there are too many story-driven games?  That, I don't agree with.  Even if a game has a cinematic trailer, many titles only use that as a thin framework with which to explain the circumstances of the game-play.  Something like Far Cry, as an example, really just uses the plot as a way to simulate progression so you have stuff to unlock.  People mainly play them for the game-play.  I've taken all towers/bases in Far Cry 3 & 4 but I've never seen the "ending" of either one.

Zekkyou said:
If this is a valid foundation to accuse the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 and X1 games being like movies, perhaps we should start referring to games that still use speech bubbles as books.

Oh god, I literally burst out laughing from this

I don't think there's anyway to say it better than that lol