By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is it that the overwhelming majority of games on PS4/X1 presented like movies?

Because presentation is a very important factor in games right now and they have to look appealing and interesting. Nothing wrong with it imo.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network

"why is it that the overwhelming majority of games on PS4/X1 presented like movies?"

Because the overwhelming majority of people playing games today are NOT gamers they are mainstreamers. And they prefer "wow effects" over gameplay.

Well for promotional material its simply because its most effective. As kid a remember truly being sold on games by CG trailers because I thought that represented how it would feel to play in that world and to some extent there is a correlation.

If you're talking about actual games that aspire to be cinematic with emphasis on linear narrative, its because the AAA industry is stale and most of these devs are just chasing what they think people. There are so any games last gen that I played and was like "Why are they wasting my time with these terrible characters and plot". FOr whatever reason everyone thinks its their responsibility to be the next Naughty Dog or compete with the scale of a COD campaign....

Now I think narrative will always be a huge part of video games, but I think a lot of devs force it in a way which doesn't suite their actual creative capacity or the requirements of the game their making. Hopefully it something the industry will grow out of, it may need a few huge flops and surprising successes to trigger it though

Arguably its already happened with games like Titan and Evolve (possibly destiny? I haven't played any of these games :p). They have narrative from the sounds of it but its not forced on the player like in  alot of single player AAA.

Isn't Deus Ex also in Wii U ........ ups

I think a good game and a good movie have a lot in common, they evoke the same kinds of feelings and a good story is important in both IMO. You guessed it, I'm not a fan of platformers or simple time-killers.
A movie-like trailer is a more spectacular way of showing what a game is about.
Gameplay in trailers never looks as good as when you're actually playing the game. It also seems very random if there's no story presented to show what is happening and why.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Deus Ex is trying to be a movie? That's the example you picked for your tr ... argument?

you were going to say TRUTHFACT there, right? right??

as far as the OP goes, well, just because they show a trailer with different and interesting angles in the shots they decide to show doesnt mean its trying to be a movie.... its just trying to present the game in an interesting angle instead of behind the characters back the entire trailer. 

Movie like trailers get hype because show the graphical prowess of the game. Trailers are too short to present gameplay anyway.

I love cinematics games, so the more the merrier.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zekkyou said:
If this is a valid foundation to accuse the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 and X1 games being like movies, perhaps we should start referring to games that still use speech bubbles as books.

DDDDAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN!!!!!

best response ever lol. 

why are games that look like movies such an issue?

seriously this kind of argument surprises me, and saying that those types of games constitute the majority of games on both PS4 and Xbox One shows the little knowledge you have about either system's library. maybe you should research more before posting about said systems.

Zekkyou said:
If this is a valid foundation to accuse the "overwhelming majority" of PS4 and X1 games being like movies, perhaps we should start referring to games that still use speech bubbles as books.

Honestly, this problem deserves its own thread.  Text is ruining gaming.  As a form of boycott, I've completely stopped reading any text in games.

Next thing you know, they'll be adding music to games and watering them down even more.