By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is it that the overwhelming majority of games on PS4/X1 presented like movies?

Is this when someone asks why the overwhelming majority of Nintendo games are presented like cartoons? Developers and publishers make things that sell and things that appeal to their artistic sense and ambition (or lack thereof), cinematic games were a big hit in the 7th gen, and even though I personally hate the direction the industry has taken, there is no denying that this style has dominated the industry for many years and it will likely continue to do so.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

read his complain and answers again... he is complaining that most AAA games have AAA graphics and trailers while ignoring what the game really is

his example doesnt make any sense, it's an established IP well focused on storyline, hence the audience that follows the game series will be interested in a trailer that hints at story development, other AAA games have two types of trailers released often, one for gameplay and one story focused just like XCX and the order 1886 did.

I dont expect a  heavily story focused trailer for a musou game or a mario game but most AAA games are very story centric, even then I see plenty of gameplay present in trailers for those games. I honestly dont want a gameplay trailer for a game like uncharted... I'll watch a live demo or something but for a trailer I want to get a better hint at the plot, I already know how those kinds of games play out.

Mummelmann said:
Is this when someone asks why the overwhelming majority of Nintendo games are presented like cartoons? Developers and publishers make things that sell and things that appeal to their artistic sense and ambition (or lack thereof), cinematic games were a big hit in the 7th gen, and even though I personally hate the direction the industry has taken, there is no denying that this style has dominated the industry for many years and it will likely continue to do so.

Sorry but Nintendo's games have nothing to do with cartoons. Cartoons have story, dialogue or voice acting. Ratchet & Clank, Sonic and Sly Cooper are presented like cartoons. FE gives of an anime vibe, but that's about it.

Most Nintendo games have an unrealistic artstyle and a heavy emphasis on gameplay. That's it.

Nintendo's games are very arcade like these days. That's a better way of describing them than cartoons.

rutea7 said:
DonFerrari said:

read his complain and answers again... he is complaining that most AAA games have AAA graphics and trailers while ignoring what the game really is

his example doesnt make any sense, it's an established IP well focused on storyline, hence the audience that follows the game series will be interested in a trailer that hints at story development, other AAA games have two types of trailers released often, one for gameplay and one story focused just like XCX and the order 1886 did.

I dont expect a  heavily story focused trailer for a musou game or a mario game but most AAA games are very story centric, even then I see plenty of gameplay present in trailers for those games. I honestly dont want a gameplay trailer for a game like uncharted... I'll watch a live demo or something but for a trailer I want to get a better hint at the plot, I already know how those kinds of games play out.

His examples are bad because he just want to push a point disregarding the reality.

For any stablished IP or publisher we already know if we can count on their hability to make a good game on the gameplay side, so we just need to verify what kind of graphical prowess they will present... No one needs to see gameplay for most of Nintendo stablished games because we know them as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The Deus Ex trailer is nice, but I dont get hyped until I see some actual gameplay.

As for games becoming like movies I guess because the movie industry is the best it has been in a while and as such makes a lot of money. So if gaming companies can advertise their games like movie trailers it would only make sense that it would excite the same type of movie going people.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

His examples are bad because he just want to push a point disregarding the reality.

For any stablished IP or publisher we already know if we can count on their hability to make a good game on the gameplay side, so we just need to verify what kind of graphical prowess they will present... No one needs to see gameplay for most of Nintendo stablished games because we know them as well.

I guess we can agree on that... and that as well.

I guess with the exception of Zelda most Nintendo games can´t benefit from a story centric trailer, something like Mario Kart you might want to see new tracks, or new stages for Mario so it ends up being game environments.

rutea7 said:
DonFerrari said:

I guess we can agree on that... and that as well.

I guess with the exception of Zelda most Nintendo games can´t benefit from a story centric trailer, something like Mario Kart you might want to see new tracks, or new stages for Mario so it ends up being game environments.

Yep true. Although if Nintendo wanted they could make a 2 min movie trailer for most of their games, but with the focus being on gameplay it wouldn't make sense. But I know I wouldn't buy a game by trailer alone much less gameplay trailer (seeing and doing is quite different), but I know Nintendo would do a good game so Seing the ideas on the trailer would be enough for me to know if I would like the game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RubberWhistleHistle said:

i know a lot of you are going to have your opinions, but this is really just an honest question.

some time ago, i watched the new deus ex trailer that everyone was raving about, and i didnt know what to expect before i watched it because i thought it was going to be something crazy since everyone was saying things like, "the hype is real." when i was done watching it, i was really confused because it was presented like it was a movie or something. and it got me wondering, why is it that so many of these games are trying to be like movies? i really just dont understand that. i mean, i would understand if it were like a genre, and it was just a portion of the games that are relased among vast amounts of others. i think that would be awesome, and a welcome addition to the variety, but it seems like the games that take this approach are so abundant. 

so my question to you guys is, do you think that this style of game is going to be the standard for generations to come? or do you think that the mainstream will kind of move away from games being presented like movies to a new style? maybe we can think of it similar to how platformers were 90% of the games made, and then shooters were a big percent of the games made, and now it has kind of morphed into movie-like games. i dont know, maybe there is some truth to that, or maybe some of you guys see it differently, so i want to hear what you have to say. 

so to reiterate, why are so many games like this, and is it just a phase that we are going through?

You clearly have not played many of the vast amounts of indie games on the new consoles. That said, people have liked stories since they were told around camp fires in ancient times. They make them because people like stories, period. You also did a poor job of explaining how most games on PS4 and X1 are like movies. You need better examples. I do not agree. 

pokoko said:
Deus Ex is trying to be a movie? That's the example you picked for your tr ... argument?

I think this is what Rubber means by  "presented like movies." Not that the game doesn't have a lot of good gameplay. 

Deus Ex trailer 

You see mostly gameplay.

vs. 

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer

You see cinematics. 

DonFerrari said:

Yep true. Although if Nintendo wanted they could make a 2 min movie trailer for most of their games, but with the focus being on gameplay it wouldn't make sense. But I know I wouldn't buy a game by trailer alone much less gameplay trailer (seeing and doing is quite different), but I know Nintendo would do a good game so Seing the ideas on the trailer would be enough for me to know if I would like the game.

yes, buying a game based on a video that is trying to sell it to you might not be the best idea XD

it's always best to judge it from the poll of knowledge you already have about the company and previous games you've enjoyed from them, although that probably only applies to gamers like us on the forums and such