By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM Rumour: EA launches own console in 2010

I think the rumour is from Game Informer and there's a pretty good chance it's an April Fools' joke.

Around the Network

A short time ago, when this rumor arose, EA basically said that they have no desire to produce hardware of their own, and that they'll continue their multiplatform strategy into the foreseeable future.

Now, an EA + Microsoft alliance... THAT would be something to watch.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

luinil said:
EA = Evil Arts. They couldn't pull this off. Nintendo fans would not buy it, by and large. But they could pull off a few xbox and ps fans. There are a few good IPs in EA, but overall they do not do anything new, it is only rehashes (sometimes fun though) of older IPs.

1. Nintendo fans - people like me - couldn't make the N64 or GCN a big success, nor could they stop the Playstation from dominating for the last decade. I don't think they'll be a big problem for EA.

2. I don't see many Sony or MS developed franchises right now that could rival an exclusive 1-2 punch of Madden and Grand Theft Auto (if EA does buy T2).

3. I think the PS3 has shown support for Sony to be surprisingly soft, and MS still has not been able to break out to a larger audience. And each made serious missteps with their consoles that shows that they may not be as "in touch" with gamer needs as many assume. If EA could come out with a dedicated gaming console,  not a "multimedia home entertainment system" for a low price, it's possible they could take a bite out of the market.

MattAAron said:
Heres my take on it:

Think about it...

*This is originating from EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly)
*It is Mid-March
*EGM is known for their April Fools jokes

So this is in preperation for their next April Fools joke.

Here are some examples:
1) The Apple iGame, a portable gaming device which Apple would make games for
2) New gaming system from Mattel and Intellivision, Which they claimed to be more powerful then the PS2 (This April fools joke was in 2000 or something)

Theres probably atleast 10 other April Fools jokes theyve been doing since the 90's

I'm probably completly wrong, but you never know :)

Don't forget Sonic in Super Smash Brothers. ;)

I hope EA does it so they can go out of business and stop killing vg companies.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network

Yeah, I don't see this happening.

If it does happen it will be out of pure greed as EA doesn't offer anything as a company that warrants a hardware device. They would basically just copy one of the 3 consoles (xbox360 probably) and release exclusive madden and GTA...that would be their contribution to gaming

Is the cover from April? It might just as well be an april's fool stunt from EGM

• PS3 will reach X360 at 23M, and will pass his WW LTD sales in May 2009
  • MSTF annouces new console in August 2009
  • By this time Wii will have 50% of home consoles market

whats EA'S budget?

if they EVER do this i bet they will pull of a sega dreamcast. or an xbox (original),

I hope it fails and they burn.

mM

4 highly competitive consoles, all with exclusive game franchises = Video Game market implosion.