By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM Rumour: EA launches own console in 2010

This would cripple EA, Sony and Microsoft, as all three of them are heavily reliant on multiplatform EA games.

In other words, it isn't happening.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

For EA to be successful in the console market they would have to do one or more of three things... They are:

- License someone else's console technology
- Team with Activision / Vivendi for a console
- Offer a royalty-free console

Why would any other software vendor make games for an EA console?

Can you say April Fools. Did you also know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary. This is a joke nothing more and nothing less. Why is it funny well, because it is patently impossible.

mcdoomer2 said:
Is the cover from April? It might just as well be an april's fool stunt from EGM

While I am leaning in that direction, this is just too rich an idea to simply abandon on the side of the road. Let the debate continue!

NeoRatt said:
For EA to be successful in the console market they would have to do one or more of three things... They are:

- License someone else's console technology
- Team with Activision / Vivendi for a console
- Offer a royalty-free console

Why would any other software vendor make games for an EA console?

it's like pumping money to your enemy

instead of PS3-Exclusive, XBOX-Exclusive, Wii-Exclusive

we will see EA-Exluded, the games will be released on every platforms except the EA-station

Around the Network

It would explain why EA is gobbling up all the Western developers.

If this happens it could easily put the Xbox franchise out of the game or at least set it back to the abismal days of the original Xbox.

The Playstation Brand wouldn't suffer as much but certainly would definitly be hit hard. With all the effort they've put into making the PS3 a Western oriented console this could really shoot them in the foot.

The only console that would be immune to any real hardship would be Nintendo's.

This next generation we could easily see history repeat itself.

Nintendo's next console will most likely emerge as the PS2 of the upcomming generation, a shoe in with the PS1-like success of the Wii and a reservoir of third party developer ready to develop for the brand which had proven itself through the trials of the previous generaiton.

Microsoft's next console on the other hand could easily become the Dreamcast of this upcomming generation most likely emerging the earliest and standing the poorest chance of competing if EA would actually make its own console.

Sony's next console will most likely be the Gamecube of its generation, a brand still in decline from the N64-like success of the PS3 subsisting largely on first party titles.

EA's console would emerge as the Xbox of the upcomming generation, the newcommer, though with a firm foot in the door with many more exclusive franchises then where ever on the Xbox it may still ony do slightly better than Sony's competing console that generation. Should MS's next Xbox fail in this generation EA's console will no doubt be the one to gobble up all the remains.

While I don't have much faith in this rumour, EA sure could do it. And don't give me 'I won't get it cause EA sucks' either cause you will. Why?

Bioshock
Mass Effect
GTA
Assassins Creed
Prince of Persia
Virtually every major sports title
Possibly every Bioware, Pandemic, Take Two, Rockstar, Ubisoft and EA game exclusive to this one console?? From Manhunt and Mercenaries right on through to Rayman Rabbids and Destroy All Humans?

Who are you kidding? The line-up would be too good to be ignored.

And while people here may spurn Evil Arts, the general public do not. 360 would be in serious trouble and Sony would be hurting. The Wii would suffer too but be least affected overall.

Could EA do this? With the right hardware partner (Apple?) yes.

Would EA do this? Seems unlikely, but they keep whining about wanting one console...

Sullla said:
Onyxmeth said:
First of all, I don't believe the rumor, so let's get that out of the way. If this were true however, this could actually be a big blow and would pull towards sports fanatics. No other console would have an NFL game, which is a pretty big deal. If it also meant exclusive GTA, yet another blow. EA with the possiblity of a Take Two buyout and the unlikely scenario of a Ubisoft buyout could really have some staying power. I still think they will need someone else to allign with like Apple to manufacture a console and split costs with.

That's actually untrue... EA's exclusive deal with the NFL requires them to put a version of their game on all gaming platforms. If EA were to create a version of Madden and release it only for a single platform, they'd be in violation of that contract.

I don't believe this rumor for one second, by the way. EA's business strategy is entirely configured around producing games for anyone and everyone under the sun. They would have to do some massive restructuring to transform into a Sony- or Nintendo-style first-party publisher.

Thats actually a sweet piece of info. Do you have a source for that? I would like to archive it if so. Thanks in advance.

Xyrax said:
Sullla said:
Onyxmeth said:
First of all, I don't believe the rumor, so let's get that out of the way. If this were true however, this could actually be a big blow and would pull towards sports fanatics. No other console would have an NFL game, which is a pretty big deal. If it also meant exclusive GTA, yet another blow. EA with the possiblity of a Take Two buyout and the unlikely scenario of a Ubisoft buyout could really have some staying power. I still think they will need someone else to allign with like Apple to manufacture a console and split costs with.

That's actually untrue... EA's exclusive deal with the NFL requires them to put a version of their game on all gaming platforms. If EA were to create a version of Madden and release it only for a single platform, they'd be in violation of that contract.

I don't believe this rumor for one second, by the way. EA's business strategy is entirely configured around producing games for anyone and everyone under the sun. They would have to do some massive restructuring to transform into a Sony- or Nintendo-style first-party publisher.

Thats actually a sweet piece of info. Do you have a source for that? I would like to archive it if so. Thanks in advance.

Yep that's right. They have the same contract with FIFA. That's why all games also came out for GameCube  . 

Eh but didn't none of EA's games come to Dreamcast?

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-