By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are there any reasonable metrics by which Nintendo isn't the best video game developer of all time?

Is Nintendo the best?

Yes. Yes, they are. 207 69.23%

I am butthurt. 28 9.36%

Scoreboard 64 21.40%

Total:299
mountaindewslave said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Online and the fact that they make a certain kind of game. You pretty much know how a game will feel when its developed by Nintendo. Theyre awesome games, lots of fun to play, but if Nint was the only game developer out there there would be a lot of uhappy ppl, we need the variation that the other companies bring to the table.

Nintendo is the best at theyre genre for sure but we will never see somethign like a Bloodborne, a Mass Effect or a grand Tehft Auto comming out of Nintendo. So nintendo is the best at making "Nintendo like" games, no one else manages to come even close to making those kind of games like Nintendo but it lacks quite a bit in other genres.

oh come off it, diversity wise Nintendo is by and far the best video game software developer in the world

a Bethesday or Rockstar DOES the same type of game over and over and over

you can say that Nintendo games aim to a certain demographic, sure, but they are far and away the same. Metroid similar to Zelda? Mario similar to Pokemon? sorry but they are by far the most diverse software developer there is out there (I'm focusing on software specifically)

also bear in mind its a lot harder to maintain consistently great games depending on the QUANTITY that you produce. a Rockstar or Bethesday, for example, are only working on main project, tops 2 or so, at a time in general.  Nintendo has tons of teams working on all kinds of stuff at the same time

for the amount of games in different genres that Nintendo produces, they are in a huge lead as the best video game developer ever (whether we're comparing now or in the past)

Meanwhile Sony and ME covers more genres with their exclusives than Nintendo does with the WII U

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Qwark said:
mountaindewslave said:

oh come off it, diversity wise Nintendo is by and far the best video game software developer in the world

a Bethesday or Rockstar DOES the same type of game over and over and over

you can say that Nintendo games aim to a certain demographic, sure, but they are far and away the same. Metroid similar to Zelda? Mario similar to Pokemon? sorry but they are by far the most diverse software developer there is out there (I'm focusing on software specifically)

also bear in mind its a lot harder to maintain consistently great games depending on the QUANTITY that you produce. a Rockstar or Bethesday, for example, are only working on main project, tops 2 or so, at a time in general.  Nintendo has tons of teams working on all kinds of stuff at the same time

for the amount of games in different genres that Nintendo produces, they are in a huge lead as the best video game developer ever (whether we're comparing now or in the past)

Meanwhile Sony and ME covers more genres with their exclusives than Nintendo does with the WII U

I'm pretty sure that's not true but even if it is, why are u leaving 3DS out of the equation which accounts for like 80% of Nintendo's output?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The variety argument is old people. Nintendo makes games for all ages and they covered most of the videogame genres already.

And no, your opinion doesn't count in this case either people, we are talking about reasonable arguments here.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I guess you could also get a list of all the failed games they made, or published. And then do a comparison to other companies.

yeah, probably meta critic. and that title goes to Rockstar.

Around the Network

Is there any reasonable metric to judge video games, when enjoyment of them are always subjective?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Yeah here you wont see many nintendo game in this metrics

Teeqoz said:
Is there any reasonable metric to judge video games, when enjoyment of them are always subjective?

Well, I say we can safely conclude that Ratchet & Clank are a reasonable example of mediocrity. Anything above that must be at least good.

Ruler said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

Yeah here you wont see many nintendo game in this metrics

Doesn't that just prove You dont need to spend that much money to make a good game?

Edt: There is a Nintendo game there, and LOL to what it is XD

Wright said:
Teeqoz said:

Well, I say we can safely conclude that Ratchet & Clank are a reasonable example of mediocrity. Anything above that must be at least good.

That makes me sad

because it's sad to know that there are no games in the world that are at least good