By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are there any reasonable metrics by which Nintendo isn't the best video game developer of all time?

Is Nintendo the best?

Yes. Yes, they are. 207 69.23%

I am butthurt. 28 9.36%

Scoreboard 64 21.40%

Total:299
mountaindewslave said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
I have never owned any handhelds so Im in no position to talk about portable games. As a PC gamer practically all my games are 3rd party to begin with.

With that said I consider Nintendo's games to be good (not great). I personally feel that they don't cater certain segments of the market. While I respect their output I don't find most of their games to be compelling enough to purchase or even complete. Beyond that they don't offer ambitious games in genres Im fond of.

For example, I don't see Nintendo giving me large 64 player maps with tons of weapons, vehicles and destructibility any time soon. Nintendo will never offer me games like Bioshock, Alien Isolation, The Walking Dead, The Witcher, Mass Effect or even the Last of Us. These are the types of games I enjoy above all else.

I also feel that lots of third party developers push boundaries long before Nintendo, as well as MS and Sony, show up to the party. To be honest I don't think most 3rd party developers get any credit for all their contributions. Simple features like uploading replay videos to Youtube, Facebook integration, companion apps and voice chat were introduced years ago and more often than not in 3rd party games.

While I appreciate Nintendo's "polish" I don't find their output to be ambitious or groundbreaking. So by my own (subjective) metrics they are not the best video-game publisher. With that said I don't have a single favorite developer, I hold several in high esteem including Nintendo.

you don't know what you're talking about though. all of the games you used as examples of specific demographics were made by different developers for the most part! also third parties generally have NOT been the ones to revolutionize things in the past, Nintendo was at the forefront of everything in the 80s

obviously Nintendo vs. 3rd parties, 3rd parties are going to win as a whole, duh. but there is no other video game software developer that makes as much quality as them. if you release ONE game in 3 years then how is that fair?.  the apt comparisons would be the other big gaming companies developing lots of software, i.e. Activision, Ubisoft, EA, etc., and they don't come close to the quality on average as Nintendo maintains

also you're a PC gamer! I am too for the most part these days, but its naive to think you can have a fair opinion on the topic if you don't even play Nintendo games generally (or 3rd party offerings on consoles). of course if you're just on the PC you're going to be indifferent to Nintendo, you literally have no opportunity to play their games.

"you don't know what you're talking about though. "

I have  Wii U so I do have some idea of what Im talking about. I got bored very quickly and barely use it outside of occassional Mario Kart sessions.

"all of the games you used as examples of specific demographics were made by different developers for the most part!"

I clearly said that I dont have a single favourite developer, I hold several in high regard but not a single one stands so far above the rest to be considered "The best" in my opinion.

"and they don't come close to the quality on average as Nintendo maintains"

Define quality, this line is pure rhetoric as far as Im concerned. Forum posters like to pretend that Nintendo games dont have bugs and are flawless masterpieces but that is simply false. Furthermore they like to pretend that every 3rd part game is a broken or unoptimised mess which is plain ridiculous.

When you consider Nintendos output as a whole they dont stand above the rest. For example, their average metacritic score for 2014 was 76.5, EAs was  74.5 and Ubisofts was 74.1. In 2013 and 2014 they were ranked 4th out of big publishers. I dont put Nintendo on a pedestal, they are good but not the best. Every year the cycle continues and publishers switch places based on the titles they release, thats why I have no affiliation to any developer or publisher. I simply want the best at any point in time.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2014-releases

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2013-releases

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

how about still not having anything better than mario and zelda after 30 years of game development?

0815user said:

how about still not having anything better than mario and zelda after 30 years of game development?

How about keeping your franchises relevant after 30 years...?

OT: You can measure "taste".That's one of the reasons something like metacritic should be extinct.Anyway,assuming that you want to talk about nintendo's weaknesses,for me is:

Online and new ips.

Back in the day nintendo was god-like making new ips.

Every ip was an insta-classic and one of the main reasons was because their games were usually ground breaking from gameplay or/and graphics perspective.

Today's nintendo plays safe and,in the rare cases they don't,the new ips itself don't set the world on fire reception-wise.Maybe because we expect too much?!

And about online...welp...

KLXVER said:
0815user said:

sure, but one could also say: desperatly trying to keep old franchises, which had their relevancypeak a long time ago, alive because a) lack of creativity and/or b) milking the cow until she's dead business practices.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:

OT: You can measure "taste".That's one of the reasons something like metacritic should be extinct.Anyway,assuming that you want to talk about nintendo's weaknesses,for me is:

Online and new ips.

Back in the day nintendo was god-like making new ips.

Every ip was an insta-classic and one of the main reasons was because their games were usually ground breaking from gameplay or/and graphics perspective.

Today's nintendo plays safe and,in the rare cases they don't,the new ips itself don't set the world on fire reception-wise.Maybe because we expect too much?!

And about online...welp...

Well to be fair, back then they werent like 98% dependent on their own franchises to sell consoles either though...

They haven't made gran Turismo or a lot of other games I love (also for me Sonic was better than smw)... So even though I like them a lot it isn't even close to being best ever when not feeling even 10% of my gaming needs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

0815user said:
KLXVER said:

sure, but one could also say: desperatly trying to keep old franchises, which had their relevancypeak a long time ago, alive because a) lack of creativity or b) milking the cow until she's dead business practices.

Milking would mean the games would decline in quality...

mountaindewslave said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
I have never owned any handhelds so Im in no position to talk about portable games. As a PC gamer practically all my games are 3rd party to begin with.

With that said I consider Nintendo's games to be good (not great). I personally feel that they don't cater certain segments of the market. While I respect their output I don't find most of their games to be compelling enough to purchase or even complete. Beyond that they don't offer ambitious games in genres Im fond of.

For example, I don't see Nintendo giving me large 64 player maps with tons of weapons, vehicles and destructibility any time soon. Nintendo will never offer me games like Bioshock, Alien Isolation, The Walking Dead, The Witcher, Mass Effect or even the Last of Us. These are the types of games I enjoy above all else.

I also feel that lots of third party developers push boundaries long before Nintendo, as well as MS and Sony, show up to the party. To be honest I don't think most 3rd party developers get any credit for all their contributions. Simple features like uploading replay videos to Youtube, Facebook integration, companion apps and voice chat were introduced years ago and more often than not in 3rd party games.

While I appreciate Nintendo's "polish" I don't find their output to be ambitious or groundbreaking. So by my own (subjective) metrics they are not the best video-game publisher. With that said I don't have a single favorite developer, I hold several in high esteem including Nintendo.

you don't know what you're talking about though. all of the games you used as examples of specific demographics were made by different developers for the most part! also third parties generally have NOT been the ones to revolutionize things in the past, Nintendo was at the forefront of everything in the 80s

obviously Nintendo vs. 3rd parties, 3rd parties are going to win as a whole, duh. but there is no other video game software developer that makes as much quality as them. if you release ONE game in 3 years then how is that fair?.  the apt comparisons would be the other big gaming companies developing lots of software, i.e. Activision, Ubisoft, EA, etc., and they don't come close to the quality on average as Nintendo maintains

also you're a PC gamer! I am too for the most part these days, but its naive to think you can have a fair opinion on the topic if you don't even play Nintendo games generally (or 3rd party offerings on consoles). of course if you're just on the PC you're going to be indifferent to Nintendo, you literally have no opportunity to play their games.

Emulation...so...dolphin says hi...

All I will say is this...

The best game developer would obviously be acknowledged by the vast majority of gamers and hence, this vast majority of gamers woulf flock to Nintendo's console since all these gamers would want to play these perfect or near perfect games...

too bad the Wii U is sucking balls and the 3DS aint selling on par as the DS...

RolStoppable said:

Are there any reasonable metrics by which Nintendo isn't the best video game developer of all time?

Are there any reasonable metrics by which Nintendo is the best video game developer of all time?

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M