By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are there any reasonable metrics by which Nintendo isn't the best video game developer of all time?

Is Nintendo the best?

Yes. Yes, they are. 207 69.23%

I am butthurt. 28 9.36%

Scoreboard 64 21.40%

Total:299

I think Nintendo is the best developer. And that's coming from someone who's played most genres extensively across many platforms. I think Blizzard is a solid number 2, especially if Overwatch is excellent. Blizzard's games have really high replayability and they tackle different genres.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Pretty much online in terms of features and modes but apart from that, nothing else really. Even online they have been pretty good since the online component of all their games work at launch which is more than what could be said for some developers but yea, Nintendo still needs to work on it though like adding in more modes.

If 'working' was an indicator of being the best, I vote the dev of thomas was alone the best dev ever.

That game works more flawlessly than any nintendo game.

Yes theres not many things that can go wrong compared to a nintendo game, but that argument can be applied to nintendo games vs those of other companies.

When did I say "working" was an "indicator" of being the "best"? The working part of the game is one of the first step which many developers already fail at but there are other reasons of course. Nintendo is the best developer out there imo because their games have been consistant in terms of quality and polish  which can't always be said for a lot of other developers. If you think there is a better developer out there that have as much consistancy as Nintendo when developing games, then great but imo (which is the key here cause it is an opinion), they are the best

Because this is a thread about nintendo being the best developer and you put them ahead of other developers because they 'work'.

"The working part of the game is one of the first step which many developers already fail at but there are other reasons of course"

No, very few developers do and they get fixed. As I made it clear the more complex the game is the more chance there is of something going wrong.

I'm not here to upset people who think nintendo are the best dev... I can see why, but the argument of 'because their games work' is a bit silly consdering how far behind their games are technically.

Even though they are not consistent with their titles and do not make new IPs that often, think about what they have created.
Mario
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Smash Bros
Splatoon

(this is just a very small list to get my point across)

All those franchises are masterpieces. Sure they haven't made a new Golden Sun in years, sure they don't mix up Mario that often, but it doesn't mean they suddenly are terrible.

However, I do personally believe that Atlus is one of the second best developers.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

bigtakilla said:
mZuzek said:
bigtakilla said:

And Xeno, and Fire Emblem

Don't know about Fire Emblem, but I didn't mention Xenoblade because it's not Nintendo EAD, which I believe is the developer the thread is about. If OP actually means Nintendo as a whole, it's unfair.

Well, Fire Emblem is very mature in tone and has a lot of depth. Monolith Soft is Nintendo so I put it out there for anyone to take or leave. Also, the discussion to this point was about Nintendo as a whole. We should not sell them short. Maturity and depth in story and gameplay CAN be found in Nintendo IPS. 

Depth in story - Golden Sun.

I want remakes and the 4th installment. D:

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

fps_d0minat0r said:
Captain_Yuri said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Pretty much online in terms of features and modes but apart from that, nothing else really. Even online they have been pretty good since the online component of all their games work at launch which is more than what could be said for some developers but yea, Nintendo still needs to work on it though like adding in more modes.

If 'working' was an indicator of being the best, I vote the dev of thomas was alone the best dev ever.

That game works more flawlessly than any nintendo game.

Yes theres not many things that can go wrong compared to a nintendo game, but that argument can be applied to nintendo games vs those of other companies.

When did I say "working" was an "indicator" of being the "best"? The working part of the game is one of the first step which many developers already fail at but there are other reasons of course. Nintendo is the best developer out there imo because their games have been consistant in terms of quality and polish  which can't always be said for a lot of other developers. If you think there is a better developer out there that have as much consistancy as Nintendo when developing games, then great but imo (which is the key here cause it is an opinion), they are the best

Because this is a thread about nintendo being the best developer and you put them ahead of other developers because they 'work'.

"The working part of the game is one of the first step which many developers already fail at but there are other reasons of course"

No, very few developers do and they get fixed. As I made it clear the more complex the game is the more chance there is of something going wrong.

I'm not here to upset people who think nintendo are the best dev... I can see why, but the argument of 'because their games work' is a bit silly consdering how far behind their games are technically.

Umm I did not? I said that they are pretty good in their online component because it works which is more can be said for other developers but even then, their online needs features and modes and stuff... No where did I say that the reason that they are the best developer is because their games "work." I just said that they need to improve on their online...

Getting it fixed after launch doesn't make a developer a good developer at all because by that point, they already sold the broken game to the consumer... Heck, look at 343 with Halo MCC for example. Its been what? 5+ months and their online for that game still isn't working properly... They had to cancel a recent Halo tournament cause of that. Sure MCC is complex but 343 wasn't working alone either and when you release a game that is broken at launch and the consumers had to pay for it, you are not a very good developer in my books.

Sure, Nintendo's games aren't the best in terms of technical graphics but technical graphics aren't everything and they are fantastic in art direction. For me, its about consistancy of delivering quality and polished products through virtually every game for so than any other developer

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I have never owned any handhelds so Im in no position to talk about portable games. As a PC gamer practically all my games are 3rd party to begin with.

With that said I consider Nintendo's games to be good (not great). I personally feel that they don't cater certain segments of the market. While I respect their output I don't find most of their games to be compelling enough to purchase or even complete. Beyond that they don't offer ambitious games in genres Im fond of.

For example, I don't see Nintendo giving me large 64 player maps with tons of weapons, vehicles and destructibility any time soon. Nintendo will never offer me games like Bioshock, Alien Isolation, The Walking Dead, The Witcher, Mass Effect or even the Last of Us. These are the types of games I enjoy above all else.

I also feel that lots of third party developers push boundaries long before Nintendo, as well as MS and Sony, show up to the party. To be honest I don't think most 3rd party developers get any credit for all their contributions. Simple features like uploading replay videos to Youtube, Facebook integration, companion apps and voice chat were introduced years ago and more often than not in 3rd party games.

While I appreciate Nintendo's "polish" I don't find their output to be ambitious or groundbreaking. So by my own (subjective) metrics they are not the best video-game publisher. With that said I don't have a single favorite developer, I hold several in high esteem including Nintendo.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

DakonBlackblade said:

Online and the fact that they make a certain kind of game. You pretty much know how a game will feel when its developed by Nintendo. Theyre awesome games, lots of fun to play, but if Nint was the only game developer out there there would be a lot of uhappy ppl, we need the variation that the other companies bring to the table.

Nintendo is the best at theyre genre for sure but we will never see somethign like a Bloodborne, a Mass Effect or a grand Tehft Auto comming out of Nintendo. So nintendo is the best at making "Nintendo like" games, no one else manages to come even close to making those kind of games like Nintendo but it lacks quite a bit in other genres.

oh come off it, diversity wise Nintendo is by and far the best video game software developer in the world

a Bethesday or Rockstar DOES the same type of game over and over and over

you can say that Nintendo games aim to a certain demographic, sure, but they are far and away the same. Metroid similar to Zelda? Mario similar to Pokemon? sorry but they are by far the most diverse software developer there is out there (I'm focusing on software specifically)

also bear in mind its a lot harder to maintain consistently great games depending on the QUANTITY that you produce. a Rockstar or Bethesday, for example, are only working on main project, tops 2 or so, at a time in general.  Nintendo has tons of teams working on all kinds of stuff at the same time

for the amount of games in different genres that Nintendo produces, they are in a huge lead as the best video game developer ever (whether we're comparing now or in the past)

SubiyaCryolite said:
I have never owned any handhelds so Im in no position to talk about portable games. As a PC gamer practically all my games are 3rd party to begin with.

With that said I consider Nintendo's games to be good (not great). I personally feel that they don't cater certain segments of the market. While I respect their output I don't find most of their games to be compelling enough to purchase or even complete. Beyond that they don't offer ambitious games in genres Im fond of.

For example, I don't see Nintendo giving me large 64 player maps with tons of weapons, vehicles and destructibility any time soon. Nintendo will never offer me games like Bioshock, Alien Isolation, The Walking Dead, The Witcher, Mass Effect or even the Last of Us. These are the types of games I enjoy above all else.

I also feel that lots of third party developers push boundaries long before Nintendo, as well as MS and Sony, show up to the party. To be honest I don't think most 3rd party developers get any credit for all their contributions. Simple features like uploading replay videos to Youtube, Facebook integration, companion apps and voice chat were introduced years ago and more often than not in 3rd party games.

While I appreciate Nintendo's "polish" I don't find their output to be ambitious or groundbreaking. So by my own (subjective) metrics they are not the best video-game publisher. With that said I don't have a single favorite developer, I hold several in high esteem including Nintendo.

you don't know what you're talking about though. all of the games you used as examples of specific demographics were made by different developers for the most part! also third parties generally have NOT been the ones to revolutionize things in the past, Nintendo was at the forefront of everything in the 80s

obviously Nintendo vs. 3rd parties, 3rd parties are going to win as a whole, duh. but there is no other video game software developer that makes as much quality as them. if you release ONE game in 3 years then how is that fair?.  the apt comparisons would be the other big gaming companies developing lots of software, i.e. Activision, Ubisoft, EA, etc., and they don't come close to the quality on average as Nintendo maintains

also you're a PC gamer! I am too for the most part these days, but its naive to think you can have a fair opinion on the topic if you don't even play Nintendo games generally (or 3rd party offerings on consoles). of course if you're just on the PC you're going to be indifferent to Nintendo, you literally have no opportunity to play their games.

Wright said:
mZuzek said:

As if any of these (except depth, which isn't even a true statement) is a negative thing.

If we acknowledge that their games do lack complexity and maturity (like your reply hints) then we can conclude that while it isn't a problem per se, Nintendo lacks variety as they don't develop these kind of titles for these kind of audience. Hence, we can safely conclude they're not the best videogame developers of all time, as they haven't dare develop in these realms. :P

but Nintendo has. I would argue the Zelda and Metroid games have a level of depth in them, and they have from time to time made great gamers that catered to different audiences (Eternal Darkness, hello!)

Diversity Nintendo hasn't released an arcade racer since F-Zero, a shooter, something like LBP, TLOU, Heavy Rain, or something remotely close to Uncharted. Hardware Nintendo pretty much getting ran over by their competitors. PR and giving gamers the games they want nuff said.

Innovation on software, Sony already made more new IP's for the Vita or PS4 then Nintendo did for the WII U.

So in what area is Nintendo the best, quality entrances of known series, Making gameplay the most relevant aspect for the gaming experience. Making mascots matter and delay games for Europeans, while US already got them months ago, Still charging the full price.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar