By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Name Your Top Three Movie Endings

I was just watching one of my favorite movies again and got to thinking about just how much the climactic moment tends to influence your ultimate judgement of the film. Now obviously I could probably list over a hundred wonderful endings to movies and will immediately, upon finishing this post, think of more that I'd like to add, but I figured I'd keep it simple at three and see what you guys enjoyed yourselves. I'm hoping for some movie ideas here, essentially. :p

1. Star Wars: A New Hope

This one is here purely for nostalgic reasons, as it was one of the first endings that stuck with me as a kid and I've likely seen it a few dozen times. The attack on the Death Star, with the ominous music constantly reminding you of the impending doom of Yavin 4 as Luke loses a friend and pretty much faces down the empire alone, is pretty much all a six year old kid could ask for lol... Great theatre of which I've never grown tired.

2. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

If you've seen it you know exactly what I'm talking about, and you fall into either the "loved it" or "hated it" camp. I'm a proud card-carrying-member of the former, and that music still gives me chills.

3. The Seven Samurai

This may be my favorite ending of all time. The climactic battle is, to put it bluntly, perfect. It captured exactly what that kind of battle is: violent, inglorious, and horrific. The rain is pouring. There's no romantic music in the background, replaced by the shrill screams of the suffering and struggles of the combatants. Finally, once all is settled, the samurai count their dead whilst listening to the happy singing of the farmers, realizing that while the farmers have achieved a great victory that day, they've only suffered losses. I'm not sure I've ever encountered a film that so effortlessly and perfectly relates both the value of the soldier and the purpose of their existence (protecting the peace) without utilizing any clichés to glorify violence. The point of warring is not to fight, but to end the fighting.

So what about you guys? :D

Around the Network

My top 3 movie endings are

1. FIN
2. THE END
3. TO BE CONTINUED

No seriously probably stuff like Back to the Future 1+2 because its basically the beginning of the next movie :)

Shutter Island
Moon
The Descent
The Village
Memento
American Psycho etc.
The Sixth Sense
Fight Club
Prestige

Sry cant choose just 3.

I dunno if stuff like this counts   because the "twist" for me is always the beginning of the end of the movie.

Never put much thought into it :)

Akira
Fight Club
Ghost in the Shell

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
What a great final couple scenes. That chess scene juxtaposed with the real game going on in the party is basically one giant metaphor. The dialogue always gets me on the edge of my seat and the ending scheme of Holmes makes this scene (in a sequel that wasn't as good overall) the best in the series.

Kill Bill: Volume 2
The better film of the two imo and while I love the first and its bloody ending, there is no denying the cathartic feeling I got from watching the tremendous David Carradine deliver that Superman monologue and then the 5 palm exploding heart technique and that MUSIC that picks up as they say goodbye. It is so emotional and yet those emotions are SO mixed as you get what you've wanted but at the last second Bill makes you like him.

The Usual Suspects
WHAT A TWEEEST! That's probably what M. Night Shalamalama said when he saw this and it all made such perfect sense. Kaiser Soze gets away yet you just laugh in delight at his incredible plan coming to fruition.

Honorable Mentions:  Iron Man 3 (Operation House Party was ORGASMIC!), Seven, Xmen DoFP (great final speech and Logan seeing everyone alive again), The Prestige (TWEEEEST again)

I am Iron Man

1. The Usual Suspects
2. The Color Purple
3. Memento

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
What a great final couple scenes. That chess scene juxtaposed with the real game going on in the party is basically one giant metaphor. The dialogue always gets me on the edge of my seat and the ending scheme of Holmes makes this scene (in a sequel that wasn't as good overall) the best in the series.

Kill Bill: Volume 2
The better film of the two imo and while I love the first and its bloody ending, there is no denying the cathartic feeling I got from watching the tremendous David Carradine deliver that Superman monologue and then the 5 palm exploding heart technique and that MUSIC that picks up as they say goodbye. It is so emotional and yet those emotions are SO mixed as you get what you've wanted but at the last second Bill makes you like him.

The Usual Suspects
WHAT A TWEEEST! That's probably what M. Night Shalamalama said when he saw this and it all made such perfect sense. Kaiser Soze gets away yet you just laugh in delight at his incredible plan coming to fruition.

Honorable Mentions:  Iron Man 3 (Operation House Party was ORGASMIC!), Seven, Xmen DoFP (great final speech and Logan seeing everyone alive again), The Prestige (TWEEEEST again)

I like you.  

Never finished Sherlock 2, though.  It was a great movie from what I saw, though.  Last thing I remember was when he and Watson were in the train.  There was a quote that I thought was the coolest thing ever but I can't remember it!

*edit*

It was: They aren't here for me.  They're here for you..... Fortunately, so am I!

I wish I had a friend in a screwed up situation just so I can say that at the right time!

I dont think I can really pick out 3 favourites, but I can give you 3 great movie endings.

Return of the King
Whiplash
The Godfather

The Empire Strikes Back
Planet of the Apes
Reservoir Dogs

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Groundhog Day. The development made for a very satisfying ending.

Kill Bill Volume II. I love this sloppy revenge movie. The ending was incredible. Not just the fight, but the whole Black Mamba finally finding Bill. Dialog included.

The Departed

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

not in particular order or the first three i can remember

1. the mist - yeah i remember the silence this movie gave when i saw it in the theaters.

2. the shawshank redemption - that ending.... just beautiful

omg two stephen king movie...

3. six feet under.... i know it is not a movie... but probably the best ending i can think of.