By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Worst Pokemon Region (main series)

Which Pokemon Region Do You Like Least?

Kanto 15 8.02%

Johto 12 6.42%

Hoenn 34 18.18%

Sinnoh 32 17.11%

Unova B/W 50 26.74%

Unova B2/W2 17 9.09%

Kalos 26 13.90%

Total:186

Why so much towards poor Unova? Have you guys ever listened to its OST?
Vs Plasma Grunt
Vs Hugh
Vs Iris
Vs Gym Leader
Vs N Final
Vs Elite Four
Route 10
Accumula Town
Castelia City
Aspertia City

Also, the region is beautiful, memorable and who the fuck still bitch about it's pokémon? Do I need to remember the sludge and the pokéball pokémon?

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Cloudman said:

Oh, now I feel bad for saying that about one of your fav OSTs... : ( There were some tunes I liked, but I did find it lacking in comparision to the others, and perhaps I wasn't fond of the new instrumental sounds used in RSE. Also, the music always sounded muffled to me when I heard it.

I don't know... there will always be a weird thing between RSE and I...

You didn't like Route 104, 113, or Meteor Falls theme? :o 

Route 104 was one of my more favorable tunes from RS, though I don't recall 113 very well. It is a good tune too : ) Meteor Falls was also a good one. I also liked rustboro city, verdanturf town, and the bike theme. Those were ones I liked.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

VaultDweller said:
Why so much towards poor Unova? Have you guys ever listened to its OST?
Vs Plasma Grunt
Vs Hugh
Vs Iris
Vs Gym Leader
Vs N Final
Vs Elite Four
Route 10
Accumula Town
Castelia City
Aspertia City

Also, the region is beautiful, memorable and who the fuck still bitch about it's pokémon? Do I need to remember the sludge and the pokéball pokémon?

It's just about the region itself, not the Pokemon or characters that inhabit it. Not many people here are saying the games are bad.

Kanto for sure is the worst.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Cloudman said:
StarOcean said:

You didn't like Route 104, 113, or Meteor Falls theme? :o 

Route 104 was one of my more favorable tunes from RS, though I don't recall 113 very well. It is a good tune too : ) Meteor Falls was also a good one. I also liked rustboro city, verdanturf town, and the bike theme. Those were ones I liked.

104 is probably in my top 5 fave route themes in the entire series to be honest. But the music is a bit different from the rest of the series, so I could see why you may not like it as much. Oh! I loved the route theme for the tropical rain forest.

113 is good but they ruined it in ORAS... it would have been perfect in ORAS but they added a very odd clicking noise to it :S you'll know what I mean if you look it up

Around the Network

Using the term "Region" to refer to the games' geography, major locales, themes, and so on rather than Pokemon and/or characters...

Sinnoh is my least favorite region, followed by Kanto. Johto is my favorite region, followed by Kalos. Unova and Hoenn are in the middle.

Kanto will always have a place in my heart for being the first, but in retrospect, it was hardly the best regions. The emphasis compared to other places seems to be modernity and the insertion of modern human tech into the largely wild Pokemon world. Hence, you have Mewtwo as the chief legendary, species like Porygon, Voltorb, Grimer, and so on that show an human influence on the environment, and smaller components such as the introduction of ressurecting extinct species. That is a nice theme, but the actual region's geography is a bit flat. Though locations such as Viridian Forest, Mt Moon, Pokemon Tower, and so on are great, the game's world seems to be an odd mish-mash of linear and open world progression. Kanto doesn't open up until halfway through the game around the time you get the PokeFlute and bribe the Saffron guards, by which point you've already seen much of what the region has to offer. Unova had a similar problem, but at least made up for it by featuring a relatively important linear storyline. And the Western portion of the region, including Viridian and Pewter Cities, are too isolated to feel like much more than a bffer zone between Kanto and Johto.

Johto is better constructed IMO. On one hand, you have a more "Japanese History" feeling in Johto, as if you were exploring a world where humans and Pokemon had already coexisted for ages. Things like the Unown Ruins, Kurt's Balls from apricots, the Sprout/Bell/Burnt towers, and Dragon's Den feel like real historic locations. Conversely, you also have more modern things coexisting with these, such as Goldenrod City (the most populated city in the main series until Black/White), Olivine City's lighthouse and Steel-type gym, and the radio system. Plus, compared to Kanto, the Johto opens up much faster. After you get the third badge from Whitney, it becomes easy to travel back to older areas like Violet City and destinations like Olivine City and Mahogany Towncan be reached well before you have any business there. I do wish the oceanic route between Olivine and Cianwood Cities also connected directly to Goldenrod, just because that would make the region feel more interconnected. That said, I have no big problems with Johto.

Hoenn is my "mixed bag" region. First, I don't think the overall layout of the region is that great. The early portion of the game is fairly dull, with a couple of cities and unremarkable routes between you and Rustboro City and the first badge. Until the second half of the game, Mauville City feels like a wall between you and the eastern half of the region without the feeling of magnitude that Saffron, Celadon, or Goldenrod Cities gave. And although I don't mind the aquatic nature of the late game, it could have been made less monotonous by including more secrets and treasures, not to mention at least one more small town between Pacifidlog Town and Ever Grande City. That said, there is a lot I love about Hoenn. I love how some routes have multiple ways to traverse them. You have the routes connecting Dewford Town to the mainland, which can be traversed by ferry or Surf, and Route 110, which can be traversed by walking, cycling path, or surfing. I'd like these mulit-layered routes to be explored more often, especially since the series leapt into 3D.  I love how Mount Chiminey shapes the region around it, altering the nature of a few routes and towns. I like how places like Fortree City and Sootopolis are nested in the game's geography. I even like the water! Surfing across the huge eastern ocean felt kind of like Wind Waker did when I finally got around to playing it.

Sinnoh was never interesting to me. Part of it may have been the sheer number of HM moves needed to explore the region, but I think it's more than that. Mount Coronet is a good example of making a place seem important well in advance, but the way it split the region in half felt awkward. Where the three prior regions felt symbolic of something (Kanto is Tech meeting Pokemon, Johto is History, and Hoenn has a Volcano and Ocean on opposing sides of a map to represent the legendary conflict), I never saw this in Sinnoh. The closest was how the regions seemed built around its legendaries (the "Emotion Trio" formed a triangle around Mt. Coronet and such), but that doesn't seem sufficent. As for individual locations, although I liked the Great Marsh and areas surrounding Snowpoint City, nothing else stood out.

Unova is actually a solid region in my eyes, despite many people disliking it (I'm focusing Black and White rather than their sequels). Though I conceded that this was a linear region, I feel that this was the game where such a region was most justifiable, due to the nature of the game's story and other design decisions. It also helped that HM's being mostly unrequired to beat the story was a welcome change after Sinnoh's eight HM's. I also enjoyed how the region showed both the closeness and distance between humans and Pokemon via geography, especially considering what the story was about. Castelia and Nimbasa City were among the two biggest cities thus far in series history, but were separated by a barren desert containing ruins and ghosts. That deep separation, like a scar cut between the two cities, left a mark on me. I also liked a lot of the landmarks in their own right. Settlements like Nacrene City, a place based around rebirth, Mistralton City, an isolated bit of humanity surrounded by mountains, and Lacunosa Town, haunted by the mere thought of Kyurem, stand out. And wild locations like the electrified Chargestone Cave and tucked-away Lostlorn Forest are also cool.

Kalos was far from my favorite region in 2013, but after re-visiting Pokemon Y, I saw some nice thing I didn't the first time around. I didn't like how the region opened up slowly, was largely split into three distinct miniature regions, and felt oddly old-fashioned despite the 3D leap. I still don't like these things, but other things have grabbed my attention too. I love how huge and full Lumiose City feels, even if some of the load screens are annoying. I appreciate how you visit it multiple times in your journey (thoguh that's partially beause other cities and towns are a bit dull). I like the old locations based on medieval Europe, sort of like they were looking back at why Johto was great. I like how places like Reflection Cave use 3D to do new things for Pokemon, even if they are a bit simple. I like how Azure Bay reward players for simply looking in the horizon and wondering what's out there. But most of all, I love the random NPC's. Not the named or important characters; I mean the ones who have just a couple of lines of text at most. Unova has the kindest and most giving population of any region thus far. They love sharing random items, both simple and priceless, with people who they will never see again. They seem happy to have met you, even if for a brief time. and you feel inclined to give them a nice tip as you sit back and watch the clouds roll by. The overall design is flawed, but it just feels so pleasant!

Love and tolerate.

Too much water: the thread.

Unova.
The bigger shit ever.