By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to "aggressively invest" in PS business in 2015

sales2099 said:
Protendo said:
sales2099 said:

This will be a short gen if Sony really wants to run away with 1st place.

Nintendo/MS can easily decide to "flip the board game" by jump-starting a new gen, like 360 did in 2005.

At the rate PS4 will succeed and continue to gain ground, I can see this gen ending as early as 4 more years.

Microsoft might exit the console market completely focusing on taking back the PC market. Nintendo isn't really a threat at the moment. In all honestly, I think this is the most likely situation if Sony plays hardball.

Xbox One was the test to be profitiable form day one. (Not happening) The Xbox brand isn't worth the trouble with stockholders if it doesn't perform.

Or they could just start a new gen and reap the profits while Sony is forced to stumble out the PS5 as a response. But Xbox is useful in that it gives MS a consumer presence beyond the PC.

That said, nobody believes MS is foolish enough to focus solely on the PC market. Unless that means a hostile takeover of Valve, and therefore Steam, that too has little chance of success.

Their focus on first party games going to Windows 10 shows us all we need to know. It's more likely they pull out of theconsole business. It would be in Sony's best interest to secure domination. The console market has proven to be a hinderance, time to focus those resources on other markets like taking back mobile, designing AR for productivity, and more.

Otherwise the next Xbox to soon is going to start the Dreamcast effect.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

Vita!

:'(

(Well, at least they said "PS Business" and not "PS4"... so you're saying there's a chance?)

Poor Vita.

sales2099 said:

Or they could just start a new gen and reap the profits while Sony is forced to stumble out the PS5 as a response. But Xbox is useful in that it gives MS a consumer presence beyond the PC.

That said, nobody believes MS is foolish enough to focus solely on the PC market. Unless that means a hostile takeover of Valve, and therefore Steam, that too has little chance of success.

Because lauching the console early will give you the victory and crush your opponents. Just like the Dreamcast. If you launch to soon, the cheaper last gen offerings can be a substantial competition with prices + massive library. Even the 360, your example, suffered with the PS2 competition. If the PS3 wasn't as expensive as it was, it would probably beat 360 early on.

I'm not saying that launching early isn't good. It is. But the maximum advantage you get is one year. More than that and you end up with an expensive box with minimal upgrades from last gen that is launched while the biggest hits are hitting the older consoles. Dreamcast suffered because the PS1 was getting a ton of amazing games.

TheGoldenBoy said:

That's why I think their first price cut will be $100 and around E3.

Maybe. They forecasted 16 million.  Thats a hell of a lot of consoles.  Barring some insane megatons I think a price cut is absolutely necessary. 

sales2099 said:

Nintendo/MS can easily decide to "flip the board game" by jump-starting a new gen, like 360 did in 2005.

At the rate PS4 will succeed and continue to gain ground, I can see this gen ending as early as 4 more years.

MS cannot just start a gen when they feel like it nor will sony ever allow them to get a full year on the market before them again. Publishers, consumers must be ready to move to a new gen before MS can. They need industry publisher support to do it. lets not forget ps3 was delayed due to bluray patents..that is  the only reason ms had as much time to themselves, not happening again.

Either way what would they give them? Sony won't launch at 599 and be a screw up again, which is more the reason why 360 gained ground, not the full year ahead. They would allow sony an extra year to improve their system and be more powerfull again. It won't help. maybe concentrate on why xbox falters instead of rushing to market only to lose again.  Like improve their standing in europe and have a more diverse first party portfolio, and try to have a Worldwide push instead of being so american focused.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Or Sony decides to wait for two years after MS' (in this scenario) early launch, watch the PS4 compete with MS' new box until they release an affordable, but powerful console which comparatively blows the Nextbox out of the water (think Wii U to PS4 power gap), which in turn could be devastating for xbox.

Launching early for is hardly risk free for MS.

Not to mention Sony won't screw up the PS5 launch the same way they did the PS3 launch, so the year (or two) headstart won't make that big of a difference.