By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - $40 Batman: Arkham Knight DLC Pass Revealed, Offers Six Months of Content

Was marginally interested before, now I am not interested at all.
This whole concept of "give us money now for random content later to save $2" is ludicrous and unacceptable to me.

They burned me twice (shame on me) with the Season Pass bull, first with LA Noire, then again with Gears 3. LA Noire ended up being discounted several times before the final episode, making me regret my purchase, and Gears 3 ended up selling me maps way after I lost interest in the game itself.

At least have the common decency to detail the contents, if you ask for $40, but most likely people will end up with a fair amount of skins and cosmetic weaponry on top of a $20 worth of content.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
If they're going to charge $40 they may want to specify what exactly you're getting with the season pass. Spending $40 without knowing what you're paying for doesn't sound that compelling...

Pretty much this. They should've released some info on the DLC, just like Netherrealm did with the MKX Season Pass. As far as we know, we might be only getting DLC outfits for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman with the Season Pass.

A season pass, especially one of that price should include absolutely all content that the game ever receives after launch, not just 6months.

Unless they're going to deliver almost as much new content as there is in the game to begin with, then the price of season passes shouldn't come anywhere close to the cost of the game itself.

$40?! Damn.

TheSting said:
spemanig said:

"Games are cheaper than they were ten years ago," my ass.

Well if i recall NES and early 90s systems had $40 games. Now they're $60 that's $20 in in almost $30 years.

I've said this before but we're paying $90+ for complete games now and that is crazy.

I don't think anybody said 10 years ago when talking about games being cheaper now. Considering Yoshi's Island and Star Fox would cost about $115 today, people who say that are talking about 20 years ago or so, and in that respect they're right. 

3rd through 5th gen games could cost anywhere from $50 to $80. After that prices started evening out at around $50 because of discs making actual production costs lower. Then budgets started rising, and gamers got entitled. They pissed and moaned when it went up to $60, they'll piss and moan when it permanently becomes $70. This kind of milking DLC is almost forced upon some companies just to make a profit with how high the budgets can get, ESPECIALLY in poorly budgeted games like this (where they give a team member several years JUST to create a car so detailed that it's 8GB of storage).

I've always been one of the opinion that we should just take the price jumps so any DLC we do get has a better chance of actually adding to the game (think Mario Kart 8 DLC and the like) instead of being something miniscule that could've shipped with the game. Problem is, the same casuals who accept three books becoming four movies are the ones that pay into DLC and pre-orders, so we're screwed either way. They'd pay $80 and still take the DLC we get now. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Heres the thing im stuck on. Why are they harping on the 6 months are they planning on releasing additional dlc outside the 6 month window that you would have to pay for? If its 40 for all ok whatever its sucky but its not the first to have season pass and it wont be the last. I do doubt they have enough content to justify the tag too but thats on them.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

I really do hate season passes. If I can't have access to the dlc that I paid 40 bucks for (which is more than HALF of the game!) then shouldn't I be able to access it forever?! 40 dollars is a lot of money to fork over just for some extra missions and skin swaps. Hell I could buy a different 3ds game with that cash!

How can they even make $40 worth of content in less than six months? That's 2/3 the price of the actual game and that took years to make.

This tells me one of two things. Either the season pass does not have enough content, or content was cut out from the full game to be sold as DLC.

Thats some expensive DLC @.@

TheSting said:
spemanig said:

"Games are cheaper than they were ten years ago," my ass.

Well if i recall NES and early 90s systems had $40 games. Now they're $60 that's $20 in in almost $30 years.

I've said this before but we're paying $90+ for complete games now and that is crazy.

The NES and SNES games new were $50-60 range back then for MSRP.  In general they did not drop below $20 and held value for years after launch.

The cheapest system for MSRP was the PS1 which had new games at $40-50 and even some mid level titles for $20-30.  PS2 bumped it back up to $50 and PS3 to $60.  However, the PS3 for me also saw the fastest price drops with games at $40 or even $20 within 6-8 months of release and if you wait a year or two not crazy to buy $10 or less games.

So, matter of taste. Would you rather?

1. Spend $50 at launch and game is 100%, but the game is still $50 even if you wait 2-3 years.

2. Spend $60 at launch and $40 on DLC, but the game will drop to $30 in six months, complete edition comes out year after launch for $60 and it drops to $20 within 18 months of release.