By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ESPN Radio Host Slams Competitive Gaming

spemanig said:
Why is ESPN even talking about this? It's like them talking about covering chess.

Because ESPN2 aired a Heroes of the Storm Tournament over the weekend and apparently everybody on ESPN freaked out about it

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
spemanig said:
Why is ESPN even talking about this? It's like them talking about covering chess.

Because ESPN2 aired a Heroes of the Storm Tournament over the weekend and apparently everybody on ESPN freaked out about it

To be fair it wasn't just ESPN. A lot of sports fans were also angered about it.

TheGoldenBoy said:

To be fair it wasn't just ESPN. A lot of sports fans were also angered about it.

It was bad timing, but other than that I have no objection to airing tournaments on ESPN.

TheGoldenBoy said:
sundin13 said:

A lot of sports fans are idiots. They show the spelling bee and poker.....those aren't sports.

-CraZed- said:

Gaming is not a sport period. Can it be competitive like many sports are? Sure. But sports require physical exertion. And unless my sitting on my ass for hours at a time to partake in my most favorite hobby is now considered physical exertion, it definitely isn't a sport.

Oxford Dictionary - Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Whether or not ESPN should show 'eSports" is debatable however because they do show non-sport activities like poker and pool etc. But as a sportscaster yeah I'd be offended at having to cover gaming as a sport.

Target shooting is a sport, and that requires less physical exertion than playing a video game. In fact the less you move in target shooting the better. And in some cases you spend the entire time lying on a mat. The general dictionary definitions for sport are really poor for encompassing all things that the vast majority of people do agree are sports, and they're even worse for things that are on the margins of what people agree are sports.

For every argument there is against pro-competition video games being sports there are counter arguments that can be found in events that are widely accepted as sports, including sports that have been Olympic events for decades.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
-CraZed- said:

Gaming is not a sport period. Can it be competitive like many sports are? Sure. But sports require physical exertion. And unless my sitting on my ass for hours at a time to partake in my most favorite hobby is now considered physical exertion, it definitely isn't a sport.

Oxford Dictionary - Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Whether or not ESPN should show 'eSports" is debatable however because they do show non-sport activities like poker and pool etc. But as a sportscaster yeah I'd be offended at having to cover gaming as a sport.

Target shooting is a sport, and that requires less physical exertion than playing a video game. In fact the less you move in target shooting the better. And in some cases you spend the entire time lying on a mat. The general dictionary definitions for sport are really poor for encompassing all things that the vast majority of people do agree are sports, and they're even worse for things that are on the margins of what people agree are sports.

For every argument there is against pro-competition video games being sports there are counter arguments that can be found in events that are widely accepted as sports, including sports that have been Olympic events for decades.

Do you know how much physical exertion it takes to "hold still"? A lot actually. Have you ever held a shotgun or a rifle? Most are pretty hefty (compared to a game controller anyways) and require some strength to to hold and keep it trained on a target. There is definitely physical exertion in target shooting. The definition holds.

homer said:

Why are esports hated so much on a gaming site? Don't you see, in the past only people with athletic bodies could spend the time they should be learning playing a game with the childish hope of becoming a superstar athlete. Now people of any body type can spend the time they should be learning playing a game with the childish hope of becoming a superstar athlete. Even if you are a woman!

Edit: I forgot that gamers are equally sexist and intolerant.

I can't tell if this is a serious post or not. Especially with the curveball at the end.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Is he refering to covering it on the radio? I couldn't think of anything funnier than covering competitive gaming on the radio. He seems very angry but the concept is kinda funny.

Hmm, pie.

-CraZed- said:
binary solo said:
-CraZed- said:

Do you know how much physical exertion it takes to "hold still"? A lot actually. Have you ever held a shotgun or a rifle? Most are pretty hefty (compared to a game controller anyways) and require some strength to to hold and keep it trained on a target. There is definitely physical exertion in target shooting. The definition holds.

Not when you're lying flat on the floor, which I notice you conveniently forget to address. Other target shooting events include air pistols, with a maximum weight of 1.5kg, so not so hefty really.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

LivingMetal said:
Video games should never be seen as a sport. But the guy is a jerk, plain and simple.

My thought process exactly. He definitely should've phrased his thoughts better.