By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ESPN Radio Host Slams Competitive Gaming

An Asshole but hes right, gmaing is not a sport. Never will be no matter what some nerds wish.

While i get the dream of some basement dwellers to wish to be big starts for gaming, its just not gonna happen en mass in most nations. Especially not NA and Europe where real sports rule.

Around the Network

Why was a gaming tournament airing on ESPN? Why is this guy talking about it? Why, oh why am I making this bad post?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Colin Cowherd is a piece of shit. I remember when Sean Taylor died, he placed the blame on him. The guy got murdered in his own home. He was minding his own business. Guys broke into his house, he got up to see what the was going on and was shot in front of his girlfriend and daughter. When all the facts came out, did he apologize? Nope.

Slarvax said:
Why was a gaming tournament airing on ESPN? Why is this guy talking about it? Why, oh why am I making this bad post?

To drive up your post count?

Pretty sure there would've been a more respectful way to put that. :/

Around the Network

I do believe video games are not sports. Subsequently: darts, bowling, poker, billiards etc are not sports.
Does that mean they cannot play competitively for money and have thousands watch them? Of course it doesn't. Where there is interest, there is industry.

*edited to fix double negative*

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Colin Cowherd is a shock jock who loves the attention from angry people like this, so it's best to ignore his shtick.

My friend is an idiot. He kept playing Tetris because I told him there was an endboss.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Slarvax said:

To drive up your post count?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Damagon said:
binary solo said:

You'd probably have the same reaction is someone asked you to cover lawn bowls too. Doesn;t make it a non-sport though. Among interntaional sporting federations, like SportAccord, Chess and Bridge (the card game!) included as sports. If these associations fit under the international sporting umbrella then eSports do too. Darts is there as well, basically a sport that's played in a bar while the competitors drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

I think one should consider the motivation for people wanting to exclude eSports from being considered a sport. It's a form or elitism where people want to see video games as some how unworthy. And it's that elitist attitude that pisses me off, which is why I'd like to see eSports recognised under the international sporting umbrella. 

What about singing ? or drawing? or spelling bees?

Skill based competition doesn't automatically make it a sport. All sports are games, but not all games are sports. If anything you should argue that because e-sports aren't a sport  Bridge shouldn't be either. Not the other way around.

But if what defines "sport" in people's view is that it requires physical exertion as well as skill what would you say about a pro-competition based around a video game like The Fight Lights Out? It requires skill, precision and physical exertion, therefore it ticks all the boxes for being considered a sport. But it's also a video game.

Why would I argue that eSports aren't sport, when I absolutely do consider eSports as sport? There are lots of instances when the same actifity is either classed as a sport or not a sport depending on context. Swimming isn't always a sport, but there are situations where it is clearly a sport, same as running. Therefore some video games can be regarded as sport and at the same time video games in general don't quailfy as sport. Even a video game that is organised as an eSport would not be considered as a sport when being played outside of a league / professional competition context.  Bridge officially being a sport doesn't make all card games sports. Same a chess being a sport does not make all board games sports.

This is the basis for how SportAccord assesses and activity as being a sport. It is certainly arguable that eSports can be incorporated into the SportAccord definition. But it should also be noted that games with minimal physical or athletic activity will be placed under more scrutiny before being accepted as sports by this organisation. They would also consider each video game separately as there is large variation in what comes under the general banner of eSports, some might make the grade and others might not.

Elements of a Definition

Many dictionaries and encyclopaedias refer to sport as a physical or athletic activity, which often includes an element of competition.

Other sources make specific mention of mind sports and motorised sports where physical activity is less dominant. In addition, the relationship between sport and art is particularly interesting for sports that rely on judges.

The current SportAccord Membership shows the full breadth of the above.  

The sports within SportAccord can be categorised as follows:

• Primarily physical
  • Primarily mind
  • Primarily motorised
  • Primarily coordination
  • Primarily animal-supported

Some sports have been classified in multiple categories, mostly due to the different activities that make up their sports.

The SportAccord Definition of Sport

For all new membership applications, SportAccord uses the following definition of a sport: 

1. The sport proposed should include an element of competition.
  2. The sport should not rely on any element of “luck” specifically integrated into the sport.
  3. The sport should not be judged to pose an undue risk to the health and safety of its athletes or participants.
  4. The sport proposed should in no way be harmful to any living creature.
  5. The sport should not rely on equipment that is provided by a single supplier.

Furthermore,

• Applications from martial arts and combat sports will be considered with the greatest care due to the complex nature and relatively minor differences between their activities.
  • Applications from mind games will only be considered after consultation with the International Mind Sports Association (IMSA).
  • Applications from sports with limited physical or athletic activity will be carefully considered.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

The SportAccord Definition of Sport

For all new membership applications, SportAccord uses the following definition of a sport: 

1. The sport proposed should include an element of competition.
  2. The sport should not rely on any element of “luck” specifically integrated into the sport.
  3. The sport should not be judged to pose an undue risk to the health and safety of its athletes or participants.
  4. The sport proposed should in no way be harmful to any living creature.
  5. The sport should not rely on equipment that is provided by a single supplier.

According to this definition cycling is not a sport. There's plenty of crashes and your position in the peloton can determine a lot. Sometimes the peloton gives a break too much free time and they can't get them back in time. Sometimes the peloton is not even aware there are people up front (race radios are not allowed in non-WT cycling races). The weather can a:lso have a big influence (good luck trying to ride solo with headwind against a peloton).

Professional cycling is also a dangerous sport. In 2011 Wouter Weylandt died during a crash in the Giro d'Italia. In 1992 the Olympic champion Fabio Casartelli died during the Tour de France. In 2003 Andrei Kivilev died during Paris-Nice. Ever since professional cyclists have been forced to wear helmets during races. Also riding 3000km spread over 21 days is extremely taxing on the body.

Poor definition.