By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ESPN Radio Host Slams Competitive Gaming

I would have thought a Radio presenter would have loved the thought of being offered a job on a media that isn't completely out of date... although when he talks about DK and Harry Potter in the same breath I'm guessing it would be best if this guy was switched off with the media he is clinging to.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Boutros said:

"Cowherd went on to say that he "tolerated" Donkey Kong, but stopped caring about fantasy worlds after the Harry Potter series."

That's the stupidiest thing I've heard all day and I went on NeoGAF today.

Wasn't of GAF so can't confirm but that is a tall order. Good job Cowherd.

Why is ESPN even talking about this? It's like them talking about covering chess.

can someone link me the audio file? Its probably funny to hear that out loud :D

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

why do people still watch ESPN.

All it is now is retired players talking all day about their super important opinion on whatever the topic of the WEEK is.

It's like MTV basically. Good luck seeing much of sports on that show. half the shows if not more are just dudes talking.

Around the Network

It's all apart of Cowherd's character. A lot of these ESPN guys act like they do for ratings. A contrarian stance to something popular generates publicity and discussion about your show.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

irstupid said:
why do people still watch ESPN.

All it is now is retired players talking all day about their super important opinion on whatever the topic of the WEEK is.

It's like MTV basically. Good luck seeing much of sports on that show. half the shows if not more are just dudes talking.

The 6pm and 11pm SportsCenters are the last bastion of hope for ESPN. As AwfulAnnouncing points out in this article...

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/schizophrenic-sportscenter-puts-espns-identity-crisis-full-display.html

... the morning programming on ESPN is the problem.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

BraveNewWorld said:
It's all apart of Cowherd's character. A lot of these ESPN guys act like they do for ratings. A contrarian stance to something popular generates publicity and discussion about your show.

I have also noticed that. Some of them are so outlandish it's hard to believe that they aren't playing characters.

Gaming is not a sport period. Can it be competitive like many sports are? Sure. But sports require physical exertion. And unless my sitting on my ass for hours at a time to partake in my most favorite hobby is now considered physical exertion, it definitely isn't a sport.

Oxford Dictionary - Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Whether or not ESPN should show 'eSports" is debatable however because they do show non-sport activities like poker and pool etc. But as a sportscaster yeah I'd be offended at having to cover gaming as a sport.

I agree with him. It was really stupid. This whole "videogames are sports" nonsense is stupid. I get that it serves getting them into various countries and all, but I have to listen people talk about it as if it was on the same par as Football or Soccer