By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The strongest and more expensive console will win this generation, it never happened before.

I don't think two competitors have screwed up as badly in the beginning of a generation before either. I believe that the PS4's domination can be attributed more to the mistakes the others made than the PS4 itself being a massively amazing product.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Price cut doesn't really matter. The Xbox One still started out as the most expensive console, so no the most expensive console still won't win.

Most powerful though? Yeah, it's the first time but that's not a bad thing. Previous consoles won because they had great games, not because of power. Hopefully when all is said and done we can say that the PS4 won because of great games as well.

Basically this, MS launched more expensive so I wouldnt call PS4 the most expensive. Its cheaper price was an important part of its early domination.

Also Ka-pi of course PS4 will have great games, if it doesnt niether does XBO and we all know how the WiiU is -_-
So PS4 is either going to end up having the best library or a really close 2nd. Sorry Nintendo but 1 publisher simply cant compete with the the vast amount of 3rd parties.

Super NES was more expensive and more powerful than the Genesis and it won.

And no, stuff like the 3DO doesn't count, those systems had no real support and were more like market experiements. 3DO at $700 would be like $1100+ today, it clearly was not ever aimed at the mass market. 

This is a stupid "rule" anyway. 

If low cost and low tech ruled the day, then the Dreamcast should've beat the PS2, GameCube, and XBox. Heck, GameCube should've beat the PS2, it was cheaper. 

There are more factors and nuances to the market than this. 

RolStoppable said:
The SNES accomplished it. Anyone who thinks that the Neo Geo was in this to sell the most systems is kidding themselves.

The PS4 isn't even the most powerful and most expensive console, so it's disqualified by default.

Not true even without the neo geo, the mega drive was stronger with the addons, there were also countless other systems out there who were strong than the super nintendo like the 3DO

Nah. Not most expensive, so the entire thread post is moot.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

And no, stuff like the 3DO doesn't count, those systems had no real support and were more like market experiements. 3DO at $700 would be like $1100+ today, it clearly was not ever aimed at the mass market. 

If low cost and low tech ruled the day, then the Dreamcast should've beat the PS2, GameCube, and XBox. Heck, GameCube should've beat the PS2, it was cheaper. 

I never said that the weakest consoles always win just that the strongest consoles never won before. Like i said to rol the sega megadrive was stronger with addonns (32x, mega CD). And the 3DO did matter it sold 3 million units, there were countless console alternatives who were stronger than the snes at the time. FM towns marty, neo geo, 3do, jaguar, amiga32x cd, turbografx.

Only the ps brand can achieve this kind of thing on consoles.

I thought that the Xbox One had the higher launch price? I'm sure that if it was selling for $350 at launch instead of $500 it would have had better fortunes.

Ouya could win for all I care. I just want gaaaaaamesssss :D

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Ruler said:
Soundwave said:

I never said that the weakest consoles always win just that the strongest consoles never won before. Like i said to rol the sega megadrive was stronger with addonns (32x, mega CD). And the 3DO did matter it sold 3 million units, there were countless console alternatives who were stronger than the snes at the time. FM towns marty, neo geo, 3do, jaguar, amiga32x cd, turbografx.

Saying the 3DO is an alternative to the SNES is like saying a $1500 PC card is an alternative to the PS4/X1. 

3DO was not a mass market product, it's $1100 adjusted for inflation, lol what kid could afford one of those? Richie Rich? 3DO was a market experiment that got like 5 decent games in its life cycle. It was never a SNES-Genesis competitor. Most retailers didn't even carry it for one, I saw a 3DO in store like one time. 

The Mega CD/Sega CD really didn't increase the Genesis' graphics processing capablity either. The Super FX chip did for the SNES. 

By the time the 32X came out, the 16-bit wars were winding down anyway. Genesis was 5 years old by that time, too little too late. 

For the MASS MARKET (as in 99% of "normal" people) the two choices for a game console in the 16-bit wars were the SNES vs. Genesis, and the SNES won.