By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The strongest and more expensive console will win this generation, it never happened before.

That's something I always noticed before. This seems to be a rare time where the most powerful does win the generation. Sony did play their cards right though, so good job to them. It will be the strongest to win, but not most expensive. The XB1 started as the most expensive, so I wouldn't say the PS4 was strongest and most expensive. If the PS4 was the highest priced, I think the story would have been different from what we see today.

How the next gen will play, who knows~

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
petroleo said:
The Wii was an a atrocity to game developers and to the game industry in general, yes it sold like hell but to which audience ?, games weren't selling, only Marios and Pokemons were selling there, so selling millions Wii didn't mean nothing to the game industry, it actually was hurting cause PS3 released its superior Wii mote , the expensive Kinect on the xbone, probably Sony or MS never got back their investment on those things.

The winners last gens were the PS3/PSP and the 360 cause they maintain the game industry for all people.

This time the PS4 is once again building a console for every one unlike the Wii U or the xbone, MS is trying hard to maintain their boat afloat but they blew it in the specs and their general design, their only way to them to succeed is to release a lot I mean alot of games but that I mean exclusive games, but we all know the sad story about that.

Truly the best gen for the industry...

http://www.lazygamer.net/24/depressing-list-of-studios-that-have-closed-in-this-generation/

"The most powerful will never wins" and "the most expensive never wins" have always been meaningless arguments and "because it hasn't happened before" is not a reason. That people thought it was some type of gaming law, especially when we're dealing with a sample size of only a few generations, is just silly.

Graphical power is only irrelevant when price outweighs perceived value. Unto itself, it's always a positive. Perceived value is the most important aspect, usually. It's the art of finding the sweet spot on the graph between power and price tag, plus having a compelling catalog of software.

Xbox One is the most expensive console. But I doubt PS4 or Xbox One will be either the most expensive or strongest of this generation by the time other non-traditional manufacturer consoles release, like the Steambox.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yep but at what costs? In the end it will bring no profits at all only losses. Look at the PS3, Sony was saying that it made profits but in the end it looses billions...

Around the Network
Ruler said:

Are gamers now more enlighted when it comes to graphics and Hardware? 

No, it's the mass market that "learned" that tech has to be expensive and from a huge brand to be good (read: cool).

Gamers (or people who are into other types of tech) know that that is not the case (probably that's why it didn't work in the past; gamers simply didn't fall for the price tag :P) while a lot of others like to buy the expensive tech and then brag about it. But there's still the (way way bigger) majority that is always against the leading/most expensive product which creates the modern tech wars that replace old-fashioned things like console wars with their subjective arguments that are always stated as if they were objective and pure fact.

Gamers, in the end, like every console/handheld unless it's a huge mess or weak attempt to join the games industry.

And here we go again with a Sony got luck....

About sega 32x or Cd not counting because it was the end of the gen, snes passed Genesis after gen 5 started so I guess that doesn't count either.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Power was never a hindrance but it used to always come at a cost. Oh, didn't the N64 cost less that PlayStation? Anyway, it sucks that tradition will end this gen. It's like breaking the Undertaker winning streak. I'm saddened.

Ryudo said:
Ruler said:
Soundwave said:

Saying the 3DO is an alternative to the SNES is like saying a $1500 PC card is an alternative to the PS4/X1. 

3DO was not a mass market product, it's $1100 adjusted for inflation, lol what kid could afford one of those? Richie Rich? 3DO was a market experiment that got like 5 decent games in its life cycle. It was never a SNES-Genesis competitor. Most retailers didn't even carry it for one, I saw a 3DO in store like one time. 

The Mega CD/Sega CD really didn't increase the Genesis' graphics processing capablity either. The Super FX chip did for the SNES. 

By the time the 32X came out, the 16-bit wars were winding down anyway. Genesis was 5 years old by that time, too little too late. 

For the MASS MARKET (as in 99% of "normal" people) the two choices for a game console in the 16-bit wars were the SNES vs. Genesis, and the SNES won. 

The 3DO was a mass market consoles and that what it was designed for, in fact it was EAs console who wanted strong third party grip.

And PCs are not consoles, you didnt see me comparing the snes to homecomputers from the same time or did you? There were also a lot of stronger home computers like the sharp x68 during that time.

The 32x and the mega CD were supirior to the FX chip, look at games like soulstar for the mega CD, and compare that to starfox which runs at what? 15 frames?

3d0 was not launched as a Games console. It was launched as an all in one media device. It's remembered as a failed console but inreality it was a video CD player that also played games and music. A lot of stuff released for it was picture slide shows. It was licensed to many manufactueres. 3d0 sold a media device brand not a games console. If you count 3do then you have to count those PC alienware boxes http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&fl=p&~ck=mn

If 3d0 counts so does this and PS4 is not most powerful.

Wrong. The 3DO was a console, they tried to make videogames as a standard like vhs were for movies. The 3DO couldnt play video cds

I think to really qualify as most expensive you have to be most expensive at launch, not most expensive after a year into the generation. PS4 had already built up huge momentum by the time Xb one got cut down to being the same price as PS4, and PS4's global lead was already unassailable by the time Xb one's permanent price in the USA got down to $350. If PS4 had started out more expensive than Xb one I don't think things would be quite what they are like now.

So no, the most expensive console will not win this generation.

The console with the best specs will win though.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix