By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916

I honestly don't believe PS3 had so much competition from the 360 because 360 was just that perfect. I think it was literally because MS knew the only way they could compete with the next Playstation would be to rush their product to the market and be the first 7th gen console out the gate. Combine that with it being the most powerful console around for over a year with the fact that Sony really showed their ass when revealing the PS3, and they had a recipe for success. The continued success came from the fact that MS was a lot smarter than Sony was when it came to working with third parties, and landed some huge marketing deals as well as causing PS to lose some of it's biggest third party exclusive franchises. It's a good console, but besides the pushes it made with online features, nothing really set it apart from the PS1, the PS2, or the XB during their respective generations.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

Claiming X360 was well engineered is madness. Something that breaks down all the time isn't engineered well. Yes, over time the console turned into a very good and well balanced one, but only after many years and many new iterations! You can't say it's a well engineered console, when it took many years and new versions of hardware for it to finally make sense. I'd say the first Slim version was the peak. They solved the problem with RROD and gave it a sexy body (the best looking console of the gen imo). Still, there were consoles that were pretty much perfect from the get-go. GCN (apart from the colour it is pure perfection), SNES, PS4, maybe the DC (that was also a good and incredibly influencial design).
X360 had many good ideas, but was an awfully done job with extreemely poor execution. Kinda opposite to what the Xbone is. It is executed well, but the ideas behind it aren't that good. The RAM, the size, the HDD that can't be removed... Much worse that the PS4.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

B maybe engineered is the wrong word. Forward thinking, perhaps?

Also, I'm not sure why the PS4 is considered the Best Engineered Console Ever considering there isn't a single sample in consumer hands that's been in use for two years yet.

I've seen many PS3s die just short of the 2 year mark, which is not to say that the PS4 will have the same issues because it shouldn't due to lower power requirements, lessons learned from PS3 manufacturing, etc. but it must be noted that it was around the 2 year mark that the RRoD for the XB360 became recognized as a widely occurring problem among consumers even as MS was in full damage control mode.

Way too early to give the PS4 a Best Engineered distinction.

The OP, as well as the majority of voters on this poll really just seem to be voting with their preferences rather than anything objective.

d21lewis said:
B maybe engineered is the wrong word. Forward thinking, perhaps?

It shows a lack of understanding of what engineering hardware means, but I'd be willing to throw the OP that bone if that was the intended wording. I'd lean towards you're being too generous because the OP focuses on the hardware and technicals of the design which indicates that was not the intent.

The XB360 as a platform certainly introduced a lot of innovations in the software space as well as how players could interact with one another.

The hardware, for the first 2-3 iterations was shit. 

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:
PS4 is the absolute best engineered console to date, it's the fastest games console to date, has the most efficient design, using one APU and one pool of very fast memory, with ample storage capacity for it's design.

The CPU is plenty for the GPU in the system.
People that argue differently forget or just plain don't realize that the GPU is the most capable general math processor to date.
As far as gaming is concerned the GPU can handle AI, Physics and Audio alongside graphics and PS4's is the most capable design of any console to date, in all of these areas.

From a reliability POV I've not heard of any PS4's failing (obviously there must be some, just from a manufacturing efficiency POV), it's made by the same company as any modern console, namely Foxconn, they have business from all console platform holders right now, so reliability should be equal across all of those platforms.

Looking at the performance of hardware, ease of development, reliability I think PS4 is unquestionably the best engineered console too date.

I left my PS4 on at my friend's house to get something from the corner store. When I came back, this was what I found:

So much for Good Engineering.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

What? I don't think I know anyone who still has the first 360 they bought. Even if you discount the RROD issue the 360 was still extremely fragile.

For me, I would have go say either the PS4 or the Gamecube.

The PS4 because it pulled off being smaller, and more powerful than it's main rival while being cheaper, running cooler, and not needing an external power brick. Oh, and you can stand it up or lay it flat without issue.

The Gamecube was small, powerful, and immensely durable. I actually dropped mine down a flight of stairs once and I never had a problem with it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Other than having a horrendous failure rate, it's a solid piece of hardware

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I'd like to see you smash it with a sledgehammer and still have it work, lol.
GameCube all the way!

PS3 and PS2 were better.