By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916

The GC was cheap, powerful and durable. So I'd go for that.

Mario Kart: Double Dash ran on a smooth 60 fps even during 4 player local multiplayer. Fuck yeah, I'll take that.

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are some of the most gorgeous games of the sixth gen and they also ran at a rock solid 60 fps with barely any load times.

Resident Evil 4 looked great on the GC while it looked like ass on the PS2.

And Wind Waker, probably the game that aged the best of that generation and those facial animations were awesome.

And those water effects in Super Mario Sunshine puts many seventh gen games to shame. Too bad it only runs on 30 fps.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
I'm trying to figure out what your next topic is going to be.

"WiiU has the most mature library ever, because Bayonetta"?

Don't be absursd, Xbox One has the most mature library ever, because of  Sunset Overdrive.

danasider said:
Zackasaurus-rex said:

Do you mean the WORST engineered console ever? I shudder at the thought of that absolutely insane hardware failure rate. That thing suffered from dozens of design flaws. The CPUs literally melted. The steel housing retained heat. The fans were chaotic. The disc drives were highly volatile due to cheap construction. I could go on and on with how dramatically cheap the thing is. That doesn't include other quality cuts. Examples: The controllers didn't connect via Bluetooth. Wi-fi wasn't included for ages (requiring a $100 add-on). The system stuck to old DVDs, despite predictable massive increases in game file sizes. The HDD is proprietary and expensive. The power supply is an ENORMOUS external brick.

The PS4 takes the simplicity of the  core 360 architecture, massively improves it, makes it even simpler while providing better dev tools, provides more flexibility for OS growth, and does so with an almost perfect record on build quality. Meanwhile, it is also better engineered into a small and sleek box, keeps the power supply internal, and allows for superior air flow. All while packing in essential features like Blu-ray; non-proprietary, swappable HDD support; Wi-fi; and Bluetooth. The PS3 had all of those things as well, though it has a confusing internal architecture (albeit with an ingenious CPU design) with far too few dev tools at launch.

I wouldn't say it's the worst engineered console ever, but I agree with all the other points you made. At the most, it is a very flawed system. I can't see someone thinking the console was the best engineered when just the RROD fiasco cost Microsoft billions.

Aside from the first sentence, I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Yeah, I was just mocking the thread premise a little with that first line. :P

Did MS pay you?! The Rrod is the worst console disaster failure rate ever.

I think you are confusing engineering with design. It was one of the worst engineered consoles, as evidenced by the enormous failure rate. But it was a well designed console conceptually.

However I think the conceptual idea of having a small pool of super-fast RAM isn't the best or ideal design approach. Because to get the best out of a console you need to figure out how to use that small but fast RAM pool to optimal effect. Having a single unified RAM pool is better for developers IMO. PS3 made life difficult by having separate RAM, but PS4 got it exactly right by having a single pool of fast RAM. From the perspective of design influence that super-fast RAM concept has been rejected by the technically superior 8th gen console, which also happens to have the most efficiently engineered unit, and a compact form factor, as well as being the sales leader by a wide margin.

TBH I think that even though developers had a hard time with the Cell, by the end of the generation 3rd parties had got the hang of it and Sony could have made PS4 based around the Cell 2.0. But I think that was ditched because Sony and IBM more than likely hoped The Cell would be adopted into hardware beyond PS3 and when that didn't happen they probably decided not to try to keep pushing The Cell concept. But continuing with that architecture into the 8th gen could have reaped considerable benefits, including full backwards compatibility with PS3. Though perhaps a $399 launch price might not have been on the cards.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Hiku said:
I'm trying to figure out what your next topic is going to be.

"WiiU has the most mature library ever, because Bayonetta"?

Lol!

That's a good one.

If it wasn't for anemic CPU, I would probably say PS4...but I agree with 360 if we talk about overall CPU/GPU/RAM stuff, and forget how unreliable original was - reminds me bit of Panther tanks in WWII.

No way, the failure rate was ridiculous. I'd probably say PS4 is the best engineered console of all-time.

I am not a console gamer but I do happen to own all consoles and yes the 360 is by far the best engineered console to release. It was a developers dream, it had a great balance between its Ram, CPU and GPU, it also had the best controller ever built (based off reviews) and it still offers the best Multiplayer system to date. 

360 in my books is a masterpiece. It did everything and it did it well. I still own my original Slim 250gig and it still works like a charm.

Not against PS4 as I own one but lets be honest here, the PS4 doesnt even sit flat on my bench, it wobbles if you press down on a corner, and the PS3s controller buttons arent space out evenly. These are minor things but are design floors.

Don't think so. My dad's 360 broke 3 times. It's a good thing my mom's an enployee of Microsoft and we got free repairs. My dad would have probably moved back to PC gaming if his 360 broke more than once and we had to pay to repair it again.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!