By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Nintendo's next console cut into PS4's success?

Real shit

I agree 16 10.06%

Next Nintendo console wil... 22 13.84%

Nah Nintendo won't hurt PS4's success 111 69.81%

HALO 5 10 6.29%

Total:159

I doubt it.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
The average gamer doesn't seem to bother much with Nintendo's first party home console games, so if Nintendo do get third parties they're not going to buy a system to play the same games they can on their PS4/X1.

But then if they do they can play Nintendo games, but as demonstrated earlier they don't care for them. So.. no.

So basically Nintendo's fucked sideways no matter what they do, that's what I got from your end anyway.

OT: I'm just going to pop the question and ask based on previous post history and topical creations: Why does it matter?, why does it matter if Nintendo did something good, why does it matter to you personally that they want to succeed?, you haven't exactly sounded like you wanted them to or were into what they were selling which leads me to asking you why does it matter at all in the future?.

just seems like one of those self fulfilling prophecy threads where op asks a question that we all know is going to turn in his favour, it's not mentally challenging nor a major topic that garners as much interest as who can do what better.

Besides none of us can see the future like at all, maybe they could, maybe they won't and even if they did why would it matter if you're already into your favourite brand of choice anyway?.

Yo chazore what's up man. Gotta be honest I've been waiting for you to make one of these posts in one of my threads. Every other playstation guy gets one of these from you whenever they talk about another console. Xbox Empire must have made you like that, you know where you talk about one thing and one thing only. Just wanted to say it's alright to take off the tin foil hat, people who prefer a certain console or brand, wait for it chazore wait for it, are allowed to talk about another brand. It's okay here. It's also okay to make prediction threads and hypothetical situations and scenarios. I mean you've been here longer than me, I'm sure you know this stuff.  I just have one question for you chazore, why don't you make these posts in response to a nintendo or xbox fan making a thread about another console?

By the way your whole theory about me making a thread like this so it turns in my favour or whatever, yeah that made me cringe real hard.

User moderated for this post -RavenXtra

Not really. By fall 2016 PS4 will be the go to machine for the masses (it already is), if you're a late adopter you're gonna go for the PS4 as its the established mainstream system, it has the brand association with big franchises (COD etc), it has the backlog and will likely be the cheaper of the two. If you're not a late adopter then chances are you'll already have a PS4 by the time the NX gets here, so even if you purchase it you're not stealing from the PS4's numbers.

Nintendo's goal shouldn't be to compete with the PS4, it should be to succeed it. Get PS4 owners who purchase systems in 2014/15 to upgrade to a new far more powerful console in 2018

Nintendo has had practically no effect on Sony and MS since the beginning and since the Wii; the same can be said in Nintendo's favor. Regardless of what Nintendo does for the 9th gen, it is unlikely to cause harm to the One or PS4.
I believe that Nintendo will chase after a more pronounced market again in the 9th gen, further removing the chance for possible dents they may cause in the sales of other consoles with different demographics.

Nintendo doesn't view themselves as being a competitor to Sony/MS' consoles and they aren't relevant to the audience that buy Sony/MS consoles. So short answer -- no.

Even the Wii really ... it didn't take away Sony's sales ... that was MS that did it. 

Instead of a 150 mill vs. 24 mill PS2 to XBox split, it became split evenly 85-85 mill that gen (PS3-360).  

Around the Network

Even something as majorly successful as the Wii didn't really cut into PS4/X1 sales, it was so cheap you could have both. Unless there were people that really said 'I've already got a Wii, no need for a 360 or PS3' The only people who had a Wii Exclusively were Nintendo die hards or casuals who turned it on every other week.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

no

It's possible, but people do need to realize that the Wii is the outlier for Nintendo consoles. NES and SNES led their generations at 61.91 and 49.10 million respectively. That was before Playstation, Xbox, Steam, and mobile. Ever since then, they have had N64, Gamecube, Wii (the outlier), WiiU, which sold 32.93, 21.74, 101.44, and 9.2 million respectively.

The Wii was lightning in a bottle (in terms of Nintendo consoles) and should not be considered expected sales for Nintendo HW. If you look at those figures above, Wii stopped the downward trend of Nintendo consoles and it seems like the WiiU picked up where it left off. It's very possible that the WiiU will be the worst selling Nintendo console of all time.

If Nintendo has another Wii like system, it will definitely disrupt things, otherwise, I wouldn't expect it.

With all due respect to Nintendo...no. The dust has to settle first. However, if Nintendo strikes back with a truly next gen console, devs might be eager to jump aboard or they might wait it out. It all depends on what Nintendo wants to do. If they choose an Omnipotent console, Nintendo could pull ahead with their first party and everyone else's 3rd party. But the next gen console can't evoke "kids" at all. It has to be like the NES, sleek, sneaky, and appeal to every gamer. They've got their IP and that's great but if they want to cut into anything, they need to get with the times and make a powerhouse console.

PS4 attracted almost all third party developers, indie guys prefer it and console sells for that reason. Nintendo operates in different market and third parties aren't coming back. Unless there is some sort of Wii like appeal it wont cut PS4's success.