By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED:Do you think the Wii U will get a price cut this year?

How much do you think a $200-250 price will help Wii U?

Massive Boost over weeks 14 14.29%

Substantial Boost 29 29.59%

Moderate Boost 42 42.86%

Little or no effect 13 13.27%

Total:98

I hope so. I won't pay more than 200€ for the thing, specially when rumours of the new system coming in 2016-2017 (even if it's a handheld).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

They will,it's inevitable(Especially if the successor is near,although for me is winter 2017,i.e not so near but I can see the announcement of it in E3 2016 because there is a trend,dolpin(gc) tease 1999,announcement E3 2000,release in the holidays 2001,revolution(wii) tease 2004,announcement E3 2005,release in the holidays 2006,NX if it's a home console of course,tease was in 2015,announcement E3 2016 ?,release in the holidays 2017?)...
It's wii u's third year,gc got two,one in 2002 and another one in 2003 and they were big with a great effect,especially in the USA...

Do you want any prediction?May 7th,Fiscal year 14 results announcement!It had  been said the nintendo wouldn't do a price drop before the end of the fiscal year...
The situation is ambiguous though,Iwata was recently showed that they don't rule out the possibility but someday with some statements of his I got that nintendo is very reluctant to do a price cut...(He had said that is about the games and not the price or what they do with 3DS wouldn't work with wii u or something like these,I love iwata but this aspects exasperated me,price cuts always Ehave way greater effect than game releases!)

Edit: I'm seeing a 50$ drop and I want another 50$ in 2016..Like gc had in 2002 & 2003

I say it will get one this year

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

sc94597 said:
Slarvax said:
I'd be baffled if there is no price cut this year. MS could make the XONE $300 this holiday, and it would be hilarous if Nintendo thinks the Wii U is as valuable as the XONE.

The proper word is demanded. Value is subjective.  For example, I would buy a $300 Wii U over a $200 XboxOne, for me, Wii U is more valuable than XBO. 

@OP Certainly. 

Well... Valuable sounded better in my head! Thanks for the correction

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

September-$249.99 Mario Maker bundle

I'm willing to bet on it

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

If they would cut prices, it would be $249.99. I'm guessing thats as low as it'll get, at least for a while. But yeah, they should cut the price, just to help push Wii Us and the games coming out for it.

bet: lost

Maybe during E3, if not, hopefully around the end of this year.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Slarvax said:
sc94597 said:

The proper word is demanded. Value is subjective.  For example, I would buy a $300 Wii U over a $200 XboxOne, for me, Wii U is more valuable than XBO. 

@OP Certainly. 

Well... Valuable sounded better in my head! Thanks for the correction

To be fair, I was a bit pedantic. Demand curves come from the sum of all consumers' "wilingness to pay" which derives from how much they value the object. But it is still useful to distinguish the difference, because different target consumer bases can have different values, therefore different willingness to pay, and therefore different demand curves, meaning a marginal change in price can mean a more or less differential change in demand. Nintendo mustn't evaluate whether they should do a price-cut solely based on whether or not XBO gets a pricecut to the same price, because the demographics Nintendo targets aren't exactly the same demographics XBO targets. 

They have to, otherwise it will confirm my theory that they already gave up.

Ninten78 said:

I know before Iwata said exchange rates were the reason why the Wii U hasn't gotten a price cut yet,but do you think it will get one anytime this year? Or is it just about profits? Personally I dont see one until September when Mario Maker launches.I would hope it would be to 199.99$ but maybe 249.99$ is more likely. What are your thoughts?

I'm in agreement with you. Near the end of the year, although I would push it back to October or November even to try to catch the beginning of the holiday shopping for incentive. Likely the $250 range. It does partly depend on how the exchange rates are though. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.