By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED:Do you think the Wii U will get a price cut this year?

How much do you think a $200-250 price will help Wii U?

Massive Boost over weeks 14 14.29%

Substantial Boost 29 29.59%

Moderate Boost 42 42.86%

Little or no effect 13 13.27%

Total:98
tak13 said:
Scisca said:
The cut is long overdue. And I'm affraid at this point mere $50 won't cut it. They should go with at least the 3DS-type of $70 or $80 cut. The console isn't worth the current asking price, especially when compared to the price of Xbone and the inevitable PS4 cut.

Wii U needs a $199 price tag, but it can only get it if Nintendo still believes in the system, which I think it no longer does.

Yeah but not in the way you think it...

249$ this year and 199$ next year,it's more effective than one price cut of 100$ drop this year,also more financially viable...The same with gc,199$->2002->149$->2003->99$...

Wow 3DS initial price was 249$ with a 100 dollars manufacturing cost?:O I didn't know it because I didn't care for the first 3DS as I was sure an xl version would come and I waited,rightly eventually,I don't like small screens!:P

I think at this point they should go $299->$229->$199 or $179. The Wii U has been on the market for so long and is struggling so much that $50 won't change much. And $229 looks much better than $249, it's way closer to the impulse purchase territory and on the other hand, it's still $30 over the $199 price.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
slab_of_bacon said:

Why "hilarious"?

XBO is way more powerful, has a ton more games coming and available, and will more than likely be supported for a longer time than Wii U. For both to be priced the same would just be ilogical to me.

We all set different values on things...  I guess one can find levity in that.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Scisca said:

I think at this point they should go $299->$229->$199 or $179. The Wii U has been on the market for so long and is struggling so much that $50 won't change much. And $229 looks much better than $249, it's way closer to the impulse purchase territory and on the other hand, it's still $30 over the $199 price.

How would you know the bolded? Real-world demand curves tend to be non-linear. A $50 price drop could very well mean a large increase in sales or a small increase in sales, depending on the shape of the demand curve and the elasticity of demand of the consumers. There is no way we can predict this very easily. The same can be said for a $100 drop, by the way. Also recall that in a lot of countries a $50 price cut isn't just that. For example, here in Pennsylvania there is a sales tax of $20 on a Wii U priced at $299. So if I were to purchase a Wii U it would really be $319. $249 would translate to $266.43. Now the difference here is how people percieve the price change. Going from $3XX to $2XX has shown to create larger effects in the minds of consumers than going from say $3XX to $3XX or $2XX to $2XX. Now you might say, well the same can be said for the $100 price-cut, but then the actual price would be $319 vs. $213. In the end you only get the effect of going from $3XX to $2XX, the same thing that happened when you only had a $50 price-cut. This is especially true for consumers who don't keep track of prices. They might think that $2XX is reasonable, but $3XX is not, but wouldn't really care if it is upper $2XX or lower $2XX. That is just how weirdly people think, and it is also why we always get the .99/.96 prices. 

So then why should Nintendo choose $249 > $229? Profits. Nintendo is a company that likes to maximize profits. If they sell at a large loss, then selling many more consoles will LOSE them money, not make them money. And then they have to do a cost-risk-benfit analysis to figure whether or not having more consoles in homes at such a large cost is worth it. In the end, I don't think Nintendo will say it is, as they are transitioning to their new unified platform. They'd probably rather take a profit-maximizing route and decrease the price only when the costs aren't so large through increments.  

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:
September-$249.99 Mario Maker bundle

I'm willing to bet on it

Do you wanna bet with me?I say may 7th in the Fiscal year'14 resuslts announcement event,you say september with a mario maker bundle!What the man who will lose must do?:P

Well ur prediction is kinda out of the question now that they have already announced a $299.99 bundle to release at the end of May, but if u really want to we can

1 month of sig control?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No.
they accepted wii U fate: just sell games (and DLC and amiibo) for those who have the system and expect that it could be enough for profiting.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
tak13 said:

Do you wanna bet with me?I say may 7th in the Fiscal year'14 resuslts announcement event,you say september with a mario maker bundle!What the man who will lose must do?:P

Well ur prediction is kinda out of the question now that they have already announced a $299.99 bundle to release at the end of May, but if u really want to we can

1 month of sig control?

F@ck !:P I had forgot  that,so I cannot bet on that but I can still believe what I expect,as a stubborn person!:P loool

1 month of sig control?I knew that you put this as the punishment of the defeated,this would be cruel,I imagine what you would force me to write!:P

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:

1 month of sig control?

F@ck !:P I had forgot  that,so I cannot bet on that but I can still believe what I expect,as a stubborn person!:P loool

1 month of sig control?I knew that you put this as the punishment of the defeated,this would be cruel,I imagine what you would force me to write!:P

I'll let u off the hook this time.....next time u won't be so lucky

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Slarvax said:
slab_of_bacon said:

Why "hilarious"?

XBO is way more powerful, has a ton more games coming and available, and will more than likely be supported for a longer time than Wii U. For both to be priced the same would just be ilogical to me.

X1 isn't way more powerfull, doesn't have more games currently and doesn't have a ton more coming (more, yes. a ton more, hell no), can't predict future suppor. Besides, wii u has much more exclusives while x1 main content is available elsewhere.

I'd say a 50$/€ Pricecut for the holydays is very possible, but not much sooner than that. Also not more than that.

Possible alternative/additional move: New model with bigger flash memory (128GiB should be feasible now for the same price the 32GiB did cost at launch) and better Gamepad battery

sc94597 said:
Slarvax said:
I'd be baffled if there is no price cut this year. MS could make the XONE $300 this holiday, and it would be hilarous if Nintendo thinks the Wii U is as valuable as the XONE.

The proper word is demanded. Value is subjective.  For example, I would buy a $300 Wii U over a $200 XboxOne, for me, Wii U is more valuable than XBO. 

@OP Certainly. 

Va;ue may be subjective on an individual basis but it is not subjective re the marketplace-   You could sell an X box for more than you can sell a Wii U, so the       X -box IS more valuable than a Wii U --- Even a person that prefered a Wii U would buy an X Box at $200 instead of a Wii U at $300 given the chance because they could then trade or sell the X box at a higher value garnering a profit they could apply toward the Wii U