By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED:Do you think the Wii U will get a price cut this year?

How much do you think a $200-250 price will help Wii U?

Massive Boost over weeks 14 14.29%

Substantial Boost 29 29.59%

Moderate Boost 42 42.86%

Little or no effect 13 13.27%

Total:98
Dunban67 said:
sc94597 said:

The proper word is demanded. Value is subjective.  For example, I would buy a $300 Wii U over a $200 XboxOne, for me, Wii U is more valuable than XBO. 

@OP Certainly. 

Va;ue may be subjective on an individual basis but it is not subjective re the marketplace-   You could sell an X box for more than you can sell a Wii U, so the       X -box IS more valuable than a Wii U --- Even a person that prefered a Wii U would buy an X Box at $200 instead of a Wii U at $300 given the chance because they could then trade or sell the X box at a higher value garnering a profit they could apply toward the Wii U 

Value is something in the mind of a human-being. The word you are looking for is, equillibrium price. 

Here is how mainstream economists define economic value. 

http://www.ecosystemvaluation.org/1-01.htm

Thus, economic value is measured by the most someone is willing to give up in other goods and services in order to obtain a good, service, or state of the world.  In a market economy, dollars (or some other currency) are a universally accepted measure of economic value, because the number of dollars that a person is willing to pay for something tells how much of all other goods and services they are willing to give up to get that item. This is often referred to as “willingness to pay.” 

It is often incorrectly assumed that a good’s market price measures its economic value.  However, the market price only tells us the minimum amount that people who buy the good are willing to pay for it.  When people purchase a marketed good, they compare the amount they would be willing to pay for that good with its market price.  They will only purchase the good if their willingness to pay is equal to or greater than the price.  Many people are actually willing to pay more than the market price for a good, and thus their values exceed the market price.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Scisca said:

I think at this point they should go $299->$229->$199 or $179. The Wii U has been on the market for so long and is struggling so much that $50 won't change much. And $229 looks much better than $249, it's way closer to the impulse purchase territory and on the other hand, it's still $30 over the $199 price.

How would you know the bolded? Real-world demand curves tend to be non-linear. A $50 price drop could very well mean a large increase in sales or a small increase in sales, depending on the shape of the demand curve and the elasticity of demand of the consumers. There is no way we can predict this very easily. The same can be said for a $100 drop, by the way. Also recall that in a lot of countries a $50 price cut isn't just that. For example, here in Pennsylvania there is a sales tax of $20 on a Wii U priced at $299. So if I were to purchase a Wii U it would really be $319. $249 would translate to $266.43. Now the difference here is how people percieve the price change. Going from $3XX to $2XX has shown to create larger effects in the minds of consumers than going from say $3XX to $3XX or $2XX to $2XX. Now you might say, well the same can be said for the $100 price-cut, but then the actual price would be $319 vs. $213. In the end you only get the effect of going from $3XX to $2XX, the same thing that happened when you only had a $50 price-cut. This is especially true for consumers who don't keep track of prices. They might think that $2XX is reasonable, but $3XX is not, but wouldn't really care if it is upper $2XX or lower $2XX. That is just how weirdly people think, and it is also why we always get the .99/.96 prices. 

So then why should Nintendo choose $249 > $229? Profits. Nintendo is a company that likes to maximize profits. If they sell at a large loss, then selling many more consoles will LOSE them money, not make them money. And then they have to do a cost-risk-benfit analysis to figure whether or not having more consoles in homes at such a large cost is worth it. In the end, I don't think Nintendo will say it is, as they are transitioning to their new unified platform. They'd probably rather take a profit-maximizing route and decrease the price only when the costs aren't so large through increments.  

@Bolded - trust me, I'm an expert
And I know how pricing works. The reason why a $50 cut isn't enough in my opinion is that we know beyond any doubt that there is currently next to no demand for the Wii U. It's not a bad product, it has some great games, but people don't care about it, it's not competitive in today's market (let's not get into the reasons for it in this thread). The bottom line is, it can't compete with a $399 Xbone and PS4, let alone with Xbone dropping to $349. MS is aggressive, Sony is expected to follow suit some time later, Nintendo has to react. They can't make their product any better at this point, so it needs a bigger price advantage. It needs to enter the impulse purchase territory, where not only people that actively want it buy it, but also people who think "hmm, actually why not" pick it up. $249 is close to it, it's almost there, but not quite there. $199 looks much, much sexier, but such a drop comes at a hefty price for the company. On the other hand a $70 drop is financially quite close to a $50 drop. It only costs them a few $ more, considering they don't take the whole $20 of the difference on themselves (only the majority of it ), as a part goes on the retailer and another part is taxes. On the other hand $229 is a very good price that looks very good when compared to $349 of the competition. It allows the retailers to further cut it to $199 if they plan a crazy sale down the road (BF?). Moreover, Nintendo is the pioneer of such cuts (with the 3DS one) and it's proven to be very beneficial for them in the past, so why not repeat it? You're not risking that much more money than in the case of a $50 cut and get a stronger positive effect.

@Italics - I already referred to this in my previous post. Nintendo will cut the price more only if they believe in the system. Cause the system needs a bigger price cut - objectively speaking. The only reason to limit themselves to $249 is because they no longer care and consider Wii U dead. The pricing policy is gonna tell us a lot about their attitude towards the console and its future. They can either follow MS - MS believes in Xbone, they are actively trying to get it better - or they can follow Sony, which declared Vita dead and is not pushing it at all going for the easy profit-maximizing route and not taking any risks.

The thing that puzzles me is that N is so unwilling to cut the price despite the fact, that their consoles sell pretty much only their own exclusives, which in turn almost never fall in price. It really makes the most sense for Nintendo out of all three companies to cut the price and get as many adopters as possible, as they earn more money on games than the competition.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:

@Bolded -

1. It needs to enter the impulse purchase territory, where not only people that actively want it buy it, but also people who think "hmm, actually why not" pick it up. $249 is close to it, it's almost there, but not quite there. $199 looks much, much sexier, but such a drop comes at a hefty price for the company. On the other hand a $70 drop is financially quite close to a $50 drop. It only costs them a few $ more, considering they don't take the whole $20 of the difference on themselves (only the majority of it ), as a part goes on the retailer and another part is taxes. On the other hand $229 is a very good price that looks very good when compared to $349 of the competition. It allows the retailers to further cut it to $199 if they plan a crazy sale down the road (BF?). Moreover, Nintendo is the pioneer of such cuts (with the 3DS one) and it's proven to be very beneficial for them in the past, so why not repeat it? You're not risking that much more money than in the case of a $50 cut and get a stronger positive effect.

2. @Italics - I already referred to this in my previous post. Nintendo will cut the price more only if they believe in the system. Cause the system needs a bigger price cut - objectively speaking. The only reason to limit themselves to $249 is because they no longer care and consider Wii U dead. The pricing policy is gonna tell us a lot about their attitude towards the console and its future. They can either follow MS - MS believes in Xbone, they are actively trying to get it better - or they can follow Sony, which declared Vita dead and is not pushing it at all going for the easy profit-maximizing route and not taking any risks.

The thing that puzzles me is that N is so unwilling to cut the price despite the fact, that their consoles sell pretty much only their own exclusives, which in turn almost never fall in price. It really makes the most sense for Nintendo out of all three companies to cut the price and get as many adopters as possible, as they earn more money on games than the competition.

1. How do you determine that $229 is "impulse-buying territory" and $249 is not? Again we don't know the demand curve of the Wii U, and we don't know how certain prices will affect the willingess to pay of hundreds of millions of different consumers. We can guess, but guesses are tough things. You'd have a point if XBO/PS4 were close subsitutes for a Wii U, but they really aren't. It's like saying the price cut of the apple isn't enough because I can buy oranges for a close price. There is a point where I will say, "I just want a fruit and the apple's are too expensive for what I will pay knowing their usual price so I will get an orange instead", but after a certain point I will say, "I really want an apple, so I am going to get an apple. Oranges were subsitutes when I wanted a fruit, but now I want an apple specifically" At that point the consumer end of the market is relatively inelastic (doesn't respond to price changes quickly.) So then we must consider the values of said individuals and how they might change. But we have no idea how the values of individuals in the market might change. Maybe people will be saturated with XBO/PS4's and want a system that gives alternative games to complement their first console.  Maybe people are truly not interested in the Wii U at any reasonable price. Marginal value is always time-dependent. Therefore demand is time dependent. And then equllibrium prices are time-dependent. Because of this, it is really hard to pinpoint what this, "impulse-buying territory" is. For me personally, $250 is not much different from $230. It's not even a game's worth of savings. Neither of which are close to "impulse-buying territory." For somebody not interested in any games on the Wii U their willingness to pay might be less than $100. For that reason, it is very possible that no price will save the Wii U, similar to how $99 didn't save the Gamecube, which was a much closer console to its competition. 

2. This isn't a binary thing. Nintendo could still care about the Wii U, support it, and making money from its sales without taking a loss on its hardware, but at the cost of marketshare. If they think they can sell a lot more software then they will probably make that cost-benefit-risk analysis when they formulate any price-cut decisions and predict future sales. However, a lot of titles don't seem to benefit from a larger userbase. An example is The Legend of Zelda. It's a game that has its best and worst selling titles on the same platforms, and some of its best selling titles on Nintendo's average selling platforms. On the otherhand a game like Mario Kart could gain a lot of sales from a larger userbase. However, the safest thing for Nintendo to do is to not abandon the Wii U by leaving a huge drought at the end of the generation (like they had done with Wii) while still planning for expanding their marketshare with their next platform(s) and maximizing software sales on said platform(s.) 

I do think a price of $199 will greatly benefit sales, especially in markets like Japan, but that isn't always necessarily a good thing. Profit maximization always comes first. 

Well i just hope they can re evaluate the basic price and create new value based on consumer demand and hardware cost depreciation, it's not logic if they have the same price with Xbox one with an old hardware and have less demand. They also had reveal their next future platform "NX" that will be announce in 2016, so it will impact the consumer interest of Wii U, Nintendo need to revise this as soon as possible.

I hope so.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
 They also had reveal their next future platform "NX" that will be announce in 2016, so it will impact the consumer interest of Wii U, Nintendo need to revise this as soon as possible.

If the NX we see in 2016 is the home console and not the handheld. 

sc94597 said:
HollyGamer said:
 They also had reveal their next future platform "NX" that will be announce in 2016, so it will impact the consumer interest of Wii U, Nintendo need to revise this as soon as possible.

yeah i hope so, because they clearly stated it would be a product that redefine both (or it has the direction of fusion or maybe 2 product at the same time). But still price reevaluations is a must.

I hope they cut the price in September when Mario Maker launches (along with a bundle). That should carry momentum into the holidays with titles like XCX and Star Fox among smaller titles like Fatal Frame, Yoshi and Devil's Third.

2016 shouldn't need the effect of a price drop since it has Zelda and other likely games such as Pokken Fighters, Animal Crossing and maybe Metroid, so 2015 is the best year for it.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

sc94597 said:
HollyGamer said:

Can we bet that if Nx is a home console would  release in 2016?Not really,there is a long trend,I have already posted it here,dolphin(gc) was teased in 1999(third year of n64),was announcend in E32000 and it released in the holidays 2001,Revolution(wii) was teased in 2004(third year of gc) announced on E3 2005 and released in the holidaysr 2006,Nx was teased this year (2015,third year of wii u)Announcement on E3 2016?Probably as ninty said that we will get details for it in 2016,release in the holidays 2017?

tak13 said:
sc94597 said:

Can we bet that if Nx is a home console would  release in 2016?Not really,there is a long trend,I have already posted it here,dolphin(gc) was teased in 1999(third year of n64),was announcend in E32000 and it released in the holidays 2001,Revolution(wii) was teased in 2004(third year of gc) announced on E3 2005 and released in the holidays r 2006,Nx was teased this year (2015,third year of wii u)Announcement on E3 2016?Probably as ninty said that we will get details for it in 2016,release in the holidays 2017?

I forgot to say that project cafe(wii u) may not followed(completely) this trend obviously because wii was selling tons of units but it was announced in E3 2011 and released in the holidays 2012...;) So that't a proof too!