By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MS ever win a generation?

Tagged games:

MS made all the right decisions at the beginning of last gen. RROD was a real mark against them, but aside from that they released first, at a good price, with good exclusive software, courted Japanese devs, got their online infrastructure to a really high quality (better than it is now if the Xbox subreddit is anything to go by) and made the console easy to develop for ensuring they had superior third party ports.

Sony released at a very high price point (although not bad considering it was also a blu-ray player), had inferior third party ports for the most part, and had various online problems, including a hack that outed the service for a month. Sony got it together eventually, and the second half of the gen were far better than MS, but they still gave their competitor a substantial head-start across the board.

But even with all those advantages, Xbox could only tie with PS last gen. As long as PS exists, I don't think Xbox can win anything.

Around the Network
SamLeheny said:
Dunno. But if things between them an Sony really heat up, I'd put my money on them. Sony is a corporation like any other, and they're capable of not pulling any punches all the same, but I think Microsoft has it in them to be a lot more shameless in its tactics.
Perhaps they think that both they and their rivals can benefit somewhat from the prevalence of third party developers and their preference of multiplatform releases. So it's hard to say if they ever will step up their efforts to outperform Sony.
At the moment it's just a bit of a pointless arms race. More about parity than superiority.

I'm just tired of the console war. Games are for all, and I never want to find I can't play this or that game because I own the wrong system. There should never be a wrong system! It's especially frustrating when the PS4 and XboxOne have identical functionality and increasingly similar software!

Console wars will never end unfortunately.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Not if it's not even consistently first in its home land.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

celador said:
MS made all the right decisions at the beginning of last gen. RROD was a real mark against them, but aside from that they released first, at a good price, with good exclusive software, courted Japanese devs, got their online infrastructure to a really high quality (better than it is now if the Xbox subreddit is anything to go by) and made the console easy to develop for ensuring they had superior third party ports.

Sony released at a very high price point (although not bad considering it was also a blu-ray player), had inferior third party ports for the most part, and had various online problems, including a hack that outed the service for a month. Sony got it together eventually, and the second half of the gen were far better than MS, but they still gave their competitor a substantial head-start across the board.

But even with all those advantages, Xbox could only tie with PS last gen. As long as PS exists, I don't think Xbox can win anything.

the hack was 5 years after launch.... 

bananaking21 said:
celador said:

the hack was 5 years after launch.... 

Maybe it was the way I worded it, but I didn't mean that it was near the launch date. Even with the hack, I think PS had a better second half of the gen than Xbox did. 

Around the Network

In the model we've seen of consoles thus far I don't see it happening. We could be seeing the end of that model though in the next 10-15 years, so who knows how that will pan out.

foodfather said:
Numbers wise, no unfortunately. Quality wise they have won ever single gen they entered.

Um, you forgot to say "fact". 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

The irony is that a lot of people here in Vgchartz were absolutely sure MS would be 8th gen. There was no way Sony could do things right and MS do anything wrong.

Whoever wants to confirm this only, needs to go back to 2012 posts.  It's a really fun time trip I must say.

zumnupy10 said:
The irony is that a lot of people here in Vgchartz were absolutely sure MS would be 8th gen. There was no way Sony could do things right and MS do anything wrong.

Whoever wants to confirm this only needs to go back to 2012 posts. It's a really fun trip I must say.

A necro thread would be perfect right now, I really don't remember that much.

They've dominated the PC master race generation every generation for the past 20 odd years. PCs without a MS OS on it is a toy without batteries in some regards.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive