By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Both Playstation and Xbox Survive If Nintendo Makes A Console Comeback?

Who Drops Out if Nintendo Makes a Comeback?

Sony 49 6.10%

Microsoft 161 20.05%

Nobody Drops Out 298 37.11%

Nintendo Isn't Making a Comeback 295 36.74%

Total:803
ArchangelMadzz said:
kristianity77 said:
Gourmet said:
I doubt both of them can survive the 9th gen even if nintendo drops out today. It won't take long for people to realize how much better the PC is.

Buy a game

Check to see if you have the minimum or recommended requirements for said game.  If not, spend money

Install It 

Try to Run It

Go around updating Drivers because said new game doesn't run

Run the game

Runs terribly

Mess about with set up, graphics options, resolution

Finally play game ( or dont play it, but tell everyone within earshot how amazing it runs regardless)

Or

Buy game, play game.

There is a reason consoles are more in favour regardless of whether they fall behind the PC in terms of specs or not.  Plug into TV, buy game, play away, on a closed ecosystem with friends.  Thats all you need to do.

Buy game, installs in 2 minutes (PS4 anyway) automatically downloads any updates (does whilst playing most of the time) play. 

Still far more simple. 

Exactly, thats the point I was trying to make.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Around the Network
MajorMalfunction said:
Ljink96 said:
If Nintendo makes a console that can accommodate the needs of all parties, the only thing stopping it from selling would be controllers and user loyalty. Having Nintendo and all 3rd party support would be Nintendo's comeback. but what decides a comeback is if the crowd is willing to leave PS or XB in favor of Nintendo.... but I doubt that'll happen. Nintendo succeeds in doing something different and new with their hardware. That's where their strength is. If there were to simply mimic the other 2 VERY similar consoles, somebody would have to drop out.

As a life-long Nintendo fan, it's hard to admit that Nintendo, in it's current form, probably won't ever be a dominant force in the home console space again. Nintendo just doesn't see eye to eye with third party developers and publishers, both on hardware and on business. Nintendo wants 3rd party publishers to approach them, on their terms, with whatever hardware Nintendo wants to make, while Microsoft and Sony both them instead. Nintendo makes hardware to fit their software, because it gives much greater freedom to craft their games. It's what gives Nintendo's games their "Nintendo Magic," but it sometimes comes at the expense of 3rd party developers. Nintendo's way isn't wrong, it's just different.

With Nintendo being unwlillng to compromise in any meaningful way, and it's competitors aggressively seeking 3rd party support, and being willing to come to a compromise on HW features and cost, I don't believe they have a chance. It's like seeing an immovable object meet an unstoppable force. It'd be cool if it happened, but it isn't going to happen, because it's not possible.

big 3rd partys are getting weaker and weaker, and indies dont demand HW features.

No.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

MajorMalfunction said:
Ljink96 said:
If Nintendo makes a console that can accommodate the needs of all parties, the only thing stopping it from selling would be controllers and user loyalty. Having Nintendo and all 3rd party support would be Nintendo's comeback. but what decides a comeback is if the crowd is willing to leave PS or XB in favor of Nintendo.... but I doubt that'll happen. Nintendo succeeds in doing something different and new with their hardware. That's where their strength is. If there were to simply mimic the other 2 VERY similar consoles, somebody would have to drop out.

As a life-long Nintendo fan, it's hard to admit that Nintendo, in it's current form, probably won't ever be a dominant force in the home console space again. Nintendo just doesn't see eye to eye with third party developers and publishers, both on hardware and on business. Nintendo wants 3rd party publishers to approach them, on their terms, with whatever hardware Nintendo wants to make, while Microsoft and Sony both them instead. Nintendo makes hardware to fit their software, because it gives much greater freedom to craft their games. It's what gives Nintendo's games their "Nintendo Magic," but it sometimes comes at the expense of 3rd party developers. Nintendo's way isn't wrong, it's just different.

With Nintendo being unwlillng to compromise in any meaningful way, and it's competitors aggressively seeking 3rd party support, and being willing to come to a compromise on HW features and cost, I don't believe they have a chance. It's like seeing an immovable object meet an unstoppable force. It'd be cool if it happened, but it isn't going to happen, because it's not possible.

While they have seemed inert to move in the past, you simply can't underestimate Nintendo. There's a reason why they've been the only game company to see the downfall of its powerful competitors and tell the tale. One bad generation and the world flips. You can't win them all. Do we think the Wii was the pinnacle of Nintendo's success? Any progressive thinker would know that this isn't true. Technology advances and so does the mind. Nintendo isn't sitting back, twittling their thumbs, worrying about Wii U. Who knows, their next console could blow our minds again. We can't write them off so soon. All it takes is for Nintendo to at least adopt the structure of new consoles, so at least there would be no excuse to not develop for them. If THAT fails, then yeah, Nintendohas no space in the console hardware market. The same cannot be said about the handheld market though.

kristianity77 said:
Gourmet said:
I doubt both of them can survive the 9th gen even if nintendo drops out today. It won't take long for people to realize how much better the PC is.

Buy a game

Check to see if you have the minimum or recommended requirements for said game.  If not, spend money

Install It 

Try to Run It

Run the game

Runs terribly

Finally play game ( or dont play it, but tell everyone within earshot how amazing it runs regardless)

Or

Buy game, play game.

There is a reason consoles are more in favour regardless of whether they fall behind the PC in terms of specs or not.  Plug into TV, buy game, play away, on a closed ecosystem with friends.  Thats all you need to do.

I've been gaming on PC for 20 years or more and I've never had such issues. I have waited 3 hours on painstakingly slow updates and patches on my PS3 games though, and I've played plenty of console games that ran poorly, had choppy framerates, glitching textures and massive pop-in issues. I haven't upgraded any of my hardware either for about 4 years now.

Purchasing, installing and playing games on Steam is no more difficult than purchasing, installing and using apps on a smart device; it just has a smaller audience. This whole fallacy that you have to be a tech wizard to game on PC's and that console games are simply pop the disc in and play, is getting old. Have you ever purchased a digital copy of a game on a console? Why are there digital stores at all, they are so difficult and should be of no interest to console gamers. Mainstream games sell less on PC as a rule, and there are several reasons for this, the PC being a clunky tool that people is too difficult to use is not one of them.

PS: Who would buy a game first and then check to see if they meet the hardware requirements later? If someone is that stupid; their PC is not the problem.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
with how the situation is right now, i think its more about if the Xbox and Nintendo can survive not Playstation. PS is proving to be the dominant force in gaming right now and even if Nintendo made a good console, lets think about that, yeah it will have its first party support, but that didnt prove to bring success, even if it got third parties on board, why would the consumer shift from PS and xbox to them? Sony is in the best position right now, and nintendo have dug them selfs in a hole that hard to get out of, and even if they do, it will be hard for them to compete

Playstation is doing great, Sony is still rocky. I'm waiting for them to announce profits without having to sell/close divisions or buildings or lay off massive amounts of people before I truse they are in a good place. So fae that hasn't been done. MS and Nintendo on the other hand are fine.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Ruler said:
Not everyone wants to play games like mario or zelda, a lot of people rather look for more mature looking exclusives. So nintendo getting third parties doesnt gurrentee dominance, see the gamecube.

Because Uncharted is more mature than Zelda? Hate to break it to you, but the main inspiration of Uncharted is a movie franchise for all ages.

They also have Metroid, xenoblade chronicles, Fatal Frame, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, etc.

And it's not like Sony doesn't have cartoony games like Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway, etc.

Quite frankly, some of their more interesting franchises if you ask me.

Dr.Vita said:
No way, Nintendo home console sales never were good (except Wii and NES).
They can sell software and handhelds but they shouldn't try to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the home console market.

Well, the SNES was market leader, so it couldn't be that bad. That makes 3 exceptions - out of six. I don't think you can establish a rule from that. That's more like wishful thinking, as the second sentence imply.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mummelmann said:
The entire 7th gen proves your main argument wrong, OP. It is true that one should not underestimate Nintendo, especially now that they've shown actual will and effort towards changing for the future, but the opposite is also true; you should never overestimate them either.

Yep, this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mummelmann said:
kristianity77 said:
Gourmet said:

Buy a game

Install It 

Try to Run It

Run the game

Runs terribly

Or

Buy game, play game.

I've been gaming on PC for 20 years or more and I've never had such issues. I have waited 3 hours on painstakingly slow updates and patches on my PS3 games though, and I've played plenty of console games that ran poorly, had choppy framerates, glitching textures and massive pop-in issues. I haven't upgraded any of my hardware either for about 4 years now.

Purchasing, installing and playing games on Steam is no more difficult than purchasing, installing and using apps on a smart device; it just has a smaller audience. This whole fallacy that you have to be a tech wizard to game on PC's and that console games are simply pop the disc in and play, is getting old. Have you ever purchased a digital copy of a game on a console? Why are there digital stores at all, they are so difficult and should be of no interest to console gamers. Mainstream games sell less on PC as a rule, and there are several reasons for this, the PC being a clunky tool that people is too difficult to use is not one of them.

PS: Who would buy a game first and then check to see if they meet the hardware requirements later? If someone is that stupid; their PC is not the problem.

OK granted I had the Buy A Game and then check the requirements the wrong way round but the point I was trying to make was that its something you need to check for, as opposed to console where you buy a game for a console and you know its going to work.

And the "put the disc in and play" regarding consoles is still very much relevant, no matter how old it is.  The fact is, its true.  

I'm not saying console gaming is better.  Its obvious that with the right investment and putting a little more time into things, gaming IS better on PC.  I'm merely stating that for the majority, they don't even want to bother with that.  They want a switch on and play device, and a PC just isn't that.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M