By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Both Playstation and Xbox Survive If Nintendo Makes A Console Comeback?

Who Drops Out if Nintendo Makes a Comeback?

Sony 49 6.10%

Microsoft 161 20.05%

Nobody Drops Out 298 37.11%

Nintendo Isn't Making a Comeback 295 36.74%

Total:803

Let's see them make a comeback first. And even if they do let's see if their system really competes with Sony and MS. Wii sold great but it barely affected the sales of ps360

Around the Network

If Nintendo gain support from third party then there next console will only be for casual (because they clearly will not make a powerful console anymore at this moment simply their market had been consumed by PS and Xbox brand) and not competing directly with PS4 and Xbox One, so the answer is it will hindrance the PS4 and Xbox One sales, but if will not affecting the entire sales and potential, just like how Tablet, like iOS and Android competing with consoles like PS4, Xbox and 3DS

Ka-pi96 said:
generic-user-1 said:
MajorMalfunction said:

As a life-long Nintendo fan, it's hard to admit that Nintendo, in it's current form, probably won't ever be a dominant force in the home console space again. Nintendo just doesn't see eye to eye with third party developers and publishers, both on hardware and on business. Nintendo wants 3rd party publishers to approach them, on their terms, with whatever hardware Nintendo wants to make, while Microsoft and Sony both them instead. Nintendo makes hardware to fit their software, because it gives much greater freedom to craft their games. It's what gives Nintendo's games their "Nintendo Magic," but it sometimes comes at the expense of 3rd party developers. Nintendo's way isn't wrong, it's just different.

With Nintendo being unwlillng to compromise in any meaningful way, and it's competitors aggressively seeking 3rd party support, and being willing to come to a compromise on HW features and cost, I don't believe they have a chance. It's like seeing an immovable object meet an unstoppable force. It'd be cool if it happened, but it isn't going to happen, because it's not possible.

big 3rd partys are getting weaker and weaker, and indies dont demand HW features.

Actually if anything big 3rd party publishers are getting stronger and stronger. It's been shown how important big 3rd party games are for consoles sales more and more and now Sony and Microsoft are fighting over getting marketing deals, not even exclusive games they'll pay just for the marketing deals these days.

they get more important for the sony/m$ 3do, but they got a lot weaker.
the major 3rd party ips are losing strengh every year, cod bf, asscreed,etc are declining and losing brand power with every new game.

and even fifa isnt growing as strong as the football market and is losing brand power.

I'm reading a lot of posts which go along the lines of "7th gen proves that wrong."

Well, yes and no.

Sony is making money hand over fist with the PS4. It's one of a very few product lines Sony is doing well in, and even if Sony as a whole goes bankrupt, they will not bow out of the console biz.

Microsoft, however, is in a much shadier position. XBox does break even or even makes a small bit of money, but because Microsoft reliably makes money with Windows and Office, it's one of Microsoft's weaker brands. Microsoft got very lucky last gen with Sony's inept PS3 launch. If they get sandwiched between a strong Nintendo and a strong Sony console, they will bow out.

Mummelmann said:

I've been gaming on PC for 20 years or more and I've never had such issues. I have waited 3 hours on painstakingly slow updates and patches on my PS3 games though, and I've played plenty of console games that ran poorly, had choppy framerates, glitching textures and massive pop-in issues. I haven't upgraded any of my hardware either for about 4 years now.

Purchasing, installing and playing games on Steam is no more difficult than purchasing, installing and using apps on a smart device; it just has a smaller audience. This whole fallacy that you have to be a tech wizard to game on PC's and that console games are simply pop the disc in and play, is getting old. Have you ever purchased a digital copy of a game on a console? Why are there digital stores at all, they are so difficult and should be of no interest to console gamers. Mainstream games sell less on PC as a rule, and there are several reasons for this, the PC being a clunky tool that people is too difficult to use is not one of them.

PS: Who would buy a game first and then check to see if they meet the hardware requirements later? If someone is that stupid; their PC is not the problem.

Despite having a gaming PC too, it's not that simple. Some games have issues that need some tweaking before being playable, even with the patches. Dowright terrible ports are also a reasonable common issue. And we have more technical knowledge than the average joe. Even in our case, it's not that easy to determine which GPUs are equivalents, if GPU A beats GPU B, etc. And even the requirements aren't always reliable. I found Shadow of Mordor requirements to be exagerated, since the game is much less demanding than they said it is. Mortal Kombat X however seems to not be playable with the minimum requirements they informed (the port is also bad).

Choosing parts to build a PC isn't simple too. While I agree with your case with PS3 patches, PS4 does a way better job in doing things automatically. Installs take 2 minutes max, it downloads all the patches in the background automatically, it's basically pop the game in and it runs, while the console downloads any patch and does the job without any worries. Yes, I have bought digital copies on the consoles. All games worked fine, no issues. The store works.

What happens in your case is that you have the tech knowledge to deal with any issues. So it seems easy. A lot of people don't even know what a GPU is and they aren't able to even install a damn printer. These people are the reason why iPads sell a lot: they rather pay much more for less power if it doesn't piss them off.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Mummelmann said:
The entire 7th gen proves your main argument wrong, OP. It is true that one should not underestimate Nintendo, especially now that they've shown actual will and effort towards changing for the future, but the opposite is also true; you should never overestimate them either.

Yep, this.

This what? the wii didn't have the third party support the others got. If it had, wii would have sold much more and ps360 would have sold way less.

shikamaru317 said:
Nintendo largely appeals to totally different fans than PS and Xbox. So even if they made a comeback it wouldn't really affect Sony and MS that much.

Actually, nintendo appeals to exactly the same people that buy ps and xbox while appealing to other people at the same time.

Ruler said:
Not everyone wants to play games like mario or zelda, a lot of people rather look for more mature looking exclusives. So nintendo getting third parties doesnt gurrentee dominance, see the gamecube.

They need at least 2 new great M-rated series and Zelda needs to go Teen for a fresh setting.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Survived the Wii...So yeah.

Hmmmm. I personally think a more appropriate question for the home console market is, can Nintendo survive (in their current form) if they don't make a come back?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.