By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Both Playstation and Xbox Survive If Nintendo Makes A Console Comeback?

Who Drops Out if Nintendo Makes a Comeback?

Sony 49 6.10%

Microsoft 161 20.05%

Nobody Drops Out 298 37.11%

Nintendo Isn't Making a Comeback 295 36.74%

Total:803
naruball said:
bunchanumbers said:
Burek said:

Because if you own a Nintendo console, you only have about 24 games in total to choose from. PS and XBox owners have many many more games to choose from, so the individual games get their sales spread out between hundreds of titles.

If you bothered to check, you would easily have seen that even though Wii sold the most consoles, it is dead last in software sales. 

That was due to rampant piracy that infested the Wii. Its the most modded console in gaming history.

More than ps1 and ps2? Source?

I believe it was most modded, as it was easy (only software needed), but I doubt relevant piracy numbers on any console. PC has by far the highest piracy ratio. I doubt piracy was relevant for Wii.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
bunchanumbers said:

Yes.  Did you notice how many of those games were games that are not considered by the core gamer? Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMB etc. Those games were bought by the family people who wouldn't consider modding a console and game piracy.

So galaxy, MK, SMB are all casual them??? Understood... so it really is true that Nintendo is a casual company for kids and family. Thanks

Even some of those were not immune. Mario Galaxy 2 is below 10m and that was around the time that Wii modding became really popular.

Ruler said:
Materia-Blade said:

Ignoring everything that I said? I'll say it one more time: THE GAMECUBE DIDN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO GETTING ALL/MOST 3RD PARTIY GAMES OF THE GEN.

And that was besides releasing after ps2 had already established itself. Was it clear now?

Your wrong, xbox got 970 games, the gamecube got 670 games. It wasnt really that much more games the first xbox got, so nintendo gamecube got in fact most multiplats. The numbers prove 

Well, actually I'm surprised by these numbers, because XBox came late, was a completely new brand and was only a short time on market. So it is indeed somewhat surprising it still had 50% more games. How are the numbers for X360/PS3/Wii?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

bunchanumbers said:
DonFerrari said:

So galaxy, MK, SMB are all casual them??? Understood... so it really is true that Nintendo is a casual company for kids and family. Thanks

Even some of those were not immune. Mario Galaxy 2 is below 10m and that was around the time that Wii modding became really popular.

Well... you can believe whatever you want, won't make a difference and won't change the state of WiiU or the fate of the new console...

Untill Nintendo followers keep believing the same things the result will always be the same.

And about piracy, PSVita and X360 could be software modded (I believe PS3 also) and in Brazil the only options to buy were modded PS1 and PS2 since they weren't legally released here. So your point from piracy is basically just what you use to defend agaisnt Nintendo fans liking to buy specific games and nothing else.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

last gen wii decimated sales charts for most of its life, ps3 and 360 did just fine.
even if the wiiu pulled a miracle 360 and suddenly became the best selling console of all time, xbo and ps4 would be fine.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure Sony and Playstation have sold the most home consoles of any other company (please correct me if I am wrong), with the PS1 and PS2 breaking 100 million and PS4 quite possibly accomplishing that feat, so why would A nintendo comeback throw them off their game?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
I'm pretty sure Sony and Playstation have sold the most home consoles of any other company (please correct me if I am wrong), with the PS1 and PS2 breaking 100 million and PS4 quite possibly accomplishing that feat, so why would A nintendo comeback throw them off their game?

Because as a company they're struggling. The ps division hasn't made much money compared to the wii/ds. If they make a ps3-launch mistake again, they may be unable to recover because they won't have billions to correct their mistake and help ps5 recover.

naruball said:
Areym said:

Because as a company they're struggling. The ps division hasn't made much money compared to the wii/ds. If they make a ps3-launch mistake again, they may be unable to recover because they won't have billions to correct their mistake and help ps5 recover.

I legitimately hadn't thought about that, good input. I guess giving that insight, Sony losing significant ground to nintendo could be fairly detrimental. Let's hope they can continue to coexist then.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Of course it can...

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nobody would survive, terror would melt their minds down and they'd both commit suicide without even trying. True mass suicide, I mean, from the highest execs to the lowliest errand boys, they'd all drink cyanide flavoured Kool-Aid, Jonestown style.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!