By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is the mouse your favorite gaming controller?

Yes M&K is my personal favorite for:

FPS, TPS, and RTS

game pad rules platformers and some flying games.

flight stick on most flying games

racing you need wheel and pedals, but on a driving game like GTA I prefer the gamepad.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Around the Network

No, the mouse is not my favourite because it's tethered to a keyboard. And a keyboard is the worst way to play games I can think of (some second gen controllers aside).

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I only like the mouse for RTS games. For everything else, give me a control pad or a Wiimote and Nunchuck.

@Strategyking92

The Wiimote and Nunchuck option can function just like a mouse and keyboard. All you need to do is shrink down the bounding box to be really small. Then the IR pointer acts exactly like the mouse you are used to. The control stick acts like your keyboard's arrow keys or aswd keys for movement.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Necroed! I remember this thread. What the heck, I'll respond to Strategyking's last post nine months late.

you still wouldn't have as much freedom, like what If you needed to run away? or go behind cover? And I'm not talking about one of those "press A" Events either, your description confused me a little also.

How would you run away on a PC? Either by holding the 'S' key to run backwards or by turning around. Believe it or not, the nunchuk has a thumbstick which allows you to move backwards away from an enemy or sideways behind cover. I might mention that a thumbstick is clearly superior to WASD in that it isn't limited to 8 directions and can accommodate different speeds without resorting to a modifier key.

That being said, a "quick-180" manuever like in RE4 might be a good idea for any console FPS. Either that or crank sensitivity through the roof like in that Wii homebrew Quake video that was posted recently.

I'm sorry you found my description confusing. I'm not sure how I could describe it better. You should try Metroid Prime 3 for yourself with controls set to advanced if you get the chance. You'll probably feel a little clumsy at first, but after an hour or so you should understand how it works.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The keyboard + mouse is easily my favorite for FPS and RTS gaming. Other than those genres I prefer the Dual Shock controller for just about everything else.

Around the Network

Mouse and Keyboard for all Shooters, Strategy, and RPG titles. Since those 3 are my favorite genres and the ones I play most often there's no way for me not to think the mouse and keyboard are the best.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:
famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:

But, like I said, it's not the same. It takes more skill.

But that has nothing at all to do with the controller. The lock-on control is a matter of programming. If you want more challenge, just don't use it.

but if you disabled it, you'd have to move the wiimote cursor to the end of the screen to turn, unless you can make the aiming cursor stay centered on the screen? it would still be 2 different styles.

It's easy if you have a small bounding box. If you're facing an enemy, move forward and to the left. You'll have to move your targeting cursor to the right to keep aiming at the enemy, causing your camera to start turning to the right. Tah dah! You're circle strafing.

huh, this thread is that old?

Anyway, since he had the curteousy to respond, I might as well also, but re-responding  to this ol' comment  might make what I'm trying to say easier:

I see your point, but right now I don't think that would be a very wise way to do it with the wii remote. Not until motion plus, that is.

But also, like I said earlier, it wouldn't offer as much accuracy and quickness as a mouse could. Not to they they aren't similar or anything, I mean, if you could use a wii-mote like a mouse, somehow it might be a hell of a lot more quicker and such. But the way it's used :/

Now that I think about it... couldn't you have a little glass table, with the IR pointer underneath, and use the wiimote like a sort of mouse? or that wouldn't work?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

What I prefer isn't interesting, but what I believe is technically superior is. A lot of people prefer things simply because they're accustomed to using them, even if they know it's not as effective. I'd argue that the following control setups are superior for the following genres:

Platformers: Traditional joypad. Of the current controllers, Dual Shock 3 is best.
Fighting games: Arcade stick. No question.
Racers: Racing Wheel.
FPS: Mouse + Keyboard. Future iterations of the Wii Mote may come close, as I believe analog sticks are a superior method for movement, just not for aiming. The Wii Mote combines both: analog movement, motion tracking for aiming.
RTS: Mouse + Keyboard.
MMO: Mouse + Keyboard.
RPG: Tough call. I don't think any controller is ideally suited to scanning through sub menus. Probably traditional controller.
TPS: Mouse + Keyboard.

If I left any out, let me know. If someone disagrees, post it!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

What I prefer isn't interesting, but what I believe is technically superior is. A lot of people prefer things simply because they're accustomed to using them, even if they know it's not as effective. I'd argue that the following control setups are superior for the following genres:

Platformers: Traditional joypad. Of the current controllers, Dual Shock 3 is best.
Fighting games: Arcade stick. No question.
Racers: Racing Wheel.
FPS: Mouse + Keyboard. Future iterations of the Wii Mote may come close, as I believe analog sticks are a superior method for movement, just not for aiming. The Wii Mote combines both: analog movement, motion tracking for aiming.
RTS: Mouse + Keyboard.
MMO: Mouse + Keyboard.
RPG: Tough call. I don't think any controller is ideally suited to scanning through sub menus. Probably traditional controller.
TPS: Mouse + Keyboard.

If I left any out, let me know. If someone disagrees, post it!

I disagree with your PG statement. It depends on the RPG. If it's like say, NWN, with the crapton of spells and abilities to use, definitely mouse and KBD. If it's JRPGs (which I would aregue are not really RPGs to begin with), then I would say a controller, thuogh I don't see what'd be wrong with clicign through menus either. Unless it's one of those RPGs with heavy platforming, I'd argue the mouse and kbd is better.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ssj12 said:
London_Calling said:
NO!

Neither mouse nor keyboard is the best. I'd probably pick the 360 controller as best followed by PS3 controller, followed by keyboard/mouse, followed by Wiimote

have you ever played a PC game before? and I mean a good PC game like Half-Life, World of Warcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, Battlefield, NfS, Final Fantasy 11, Gunz the Duels, AudioSuft?

the only genre I have found that console controllers works better at is fighting. Even then its questionable.

We're talking about many months of seperation so I won't necessarily expect an answer, or you to even feel the same way, but I'll ask anyways.

How exactly is it questionable that the mouse is a superior control method for fighting games? I can't even fathom how poorly it would be. You can repeat this question for platformers and side scrolling SHMUPs also.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.