By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is the mouse your favorite gaming controller?

mesoteto said:
i think the wii mote for fps is dead on, also the pointer function could chisel away some of mouses dominence for RTS--but not sure just yet

The pointer does a fine job of replacing a mouse for RTSes. It's the keyboard full of hotkeys that the wiimote can't compete with.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Mouse+Keyboard is the best gaming controller combo. It totally crushes gamepads and Wiimote on:

FPS / TPS
Strategy games
Puzzle/Card games
MMO's
RPG
Action/Adventure
Adventure (But I'd say Wii is on par here)

The only genres where I think gamepads are more suitable are only Racing, Sports and Platformers.

Best gaming controllers for me will always be the Segas Genesis and Saturn Controllers along with the Playstation Controllers. I like having everything close at hand and only a few buttons i need to memorize

Tried to get into computer gaming with the mouse and the keyboard but only ended up playing games like the sims, simcity, and civilization. never got a comfortable feeling for all those assigned keys

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

right now its the gamecube controller. Mainly because that's what I'm using to play Smash with, and anything that can entrance me into that much fun HAS to be good.

For shoorters, yes, for everything else, no it is horrible. Especially racers.

Around the Network
shio said:
Mouse+Keyboard is the best gaming controller combo. It totally crushes gamepads and Wiimote on:

FPS / TPS
Strategy games
Puzzle/Card games
MMO's
RPG
Action/Adventure
Adventure
(But I'd say Wii is on par here)

The only genres where I think gamepads are more suitable are only Racing, Sports and Platformers.
 QFT 

Also i think that KB+M is better for Golf games. :P, For racing the best option is the wheel. And for Plats gamepads are as capable as KB+M.

<The Knight of The Doomeds>

Ug.

While this is a personal choice I guess the only thing I can stand to play with the mouse is RTS and generic card/puzzle internet games.

I think the stylus on the ds is almost as good as the mouse for RTS. See Age of Empires.

I played a fighting game for 3 minutes once with the mouse keyboard and vowed that it was the worst controller game combination I have ever used.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

I like that it is just more accurate, when the wiimote doesn't require a sensory bar, and I can play it up close to a screen, then it'll be better.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

The Mouse is definitely the best out there.

I prefer it for FPS, RTS, and RPGs the most.

PC Gamer

i like the mouse is the best for rts (obviously)

but i prefer the dual shock. ive been raised on those controllers.