By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is the mouse your favorite gaming controller?

Mouse+KB are really only superior for game genres that were built around the control scheme, in other words FPS, RTS, and point+click games. The mouse+KB system fails horribly for platformers, racing games, and several other genres.

I'd say the gamepad in general is the best overall input method. While gamepads might not be as good for FPS and such, they can handle pretty much everything reasonably well without totally failing on any specific genre.

Around the Network

for RTS and FPS I definetely think Mouse+KB is superior, however FPS on consoles are to bad, but because I mostly like playing a sniper character in FPS such as BF2, then the mouse gives me the precision I need and want, no questions asked.

For FPS I think the mouse is the better choice.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
Strategyking92 said:
famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:

That's still not the same as the computer fps's, you don't get the camera centered on the enemy, you gotta stay on him yourself.

Why should it be the same? You can play the whole game without using it at all, if you like. Personally, I like the distinction between camera control and gun control. Most PC FPSes link the two directly together, as if the bullets were actually coming out of your eyes.

You could easily implement the same feature in a PC shooter by binding lock-on to the shift key, or something. Would feel a little strange for breaking the mouselook world that PC shooters have been tied to for a decade now, but it opens up some interesting gameplay possibilities.

But, like I said, it's not the same. It takes more skill.

But that has nothing at all to do with the controller. The lock-on control is a matter of programming. If you want more challenge, just don't use it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
I use to prefer mouse and keyboard for RTS and FPS games, but after Metroid Prime 3 I think it's only best for RTS games.

How I feel. I also perfer it for turn based Strategy games though. Probably SRPGs too but I don't really know of any computer SRPGs that i can think of. Which is odd to me.

If anyone knows of any good ones... or even medicore ones. Let me know.

Heroes of Might and Magic, Etherlords, and there's King's Bounty: the Legend coming out in may.

Around the Network

Wii Remote Superior

shio said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
I use to prefer mouse and keyboard for RTS and FPS games, but after Metroid Prime 3 I think it's only best for RTS games.

How I feel. I also perfer it for turn based Strategy games though. Probably SRPGs too but I don't really know of any computer SRPGs that i can think of. Which is odd to me.

If anyone knows of any good ones... or even medicore ones. Let me know.

Heroes of Might and Magic, Etherlords, and there's King's Bounty: the Legend coming out in may.

Much thanks.

the sixaxis or dualshock 3

famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:
famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:

That's still not the same as the computer fps's, you don't get the camera centered on the enemy, you gotta stay on him yourself.

Why should it be the same? You can play the whole game without using it at all, if you like. Personally, I like the distinction between camera control and gun control. Most PC FPSes link the two directly together, as if the bullets were actually coming out of your eyes.

You could easily implement the same feature in a PC shooter by binding lock-on to the shift key, or something. Would feel a little strange for breaking the mouselook world that PC shooters have been tied to for a decade now, but it opens up some interesting gameplay possibilities.

But that has nothing at all to do with the controller. The lock-on control is a matter of programming. If you want more challenge, just don't use it.

but if you disabled it, you'd have to move the wiimote cursor to the end of the screen to turn, unless you can make the aiming cursor  stay centered on the screen? it would still be 2 different styles.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:
famousringo said:
Strategyking92 said:

but if you disabled it, you'd have to move the wiimote cursor to the end of the screen to turn, unless you can make the aiming cursor stay centered on the screen? it would still be 2 different styles.

I would dread the day a Wii-FPS does that. Unless you use some sort of device to hold your hand steady 100% of the time, it'd be so jittery. Heck, when it comes to my mouse (mainly with Valve games), my mouse sensitivity is pretty high so I can keep on the look out and it's can be a little jittery if I'm not steady.