By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 is picking up steam in Japan

sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

PS4 1 year 2 months = 1 holiday
PS3 1 year 2 months = 2 holidays

Around the Network

I want the PS4 to do well in Japan so that we get more AAA efforts from Japanese developers. I feel we need more big budget Japanese games like we had during the PS1 and 2 era. They have so much to offer and variety never hurt anyone. :)

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
I want the PS4 to do well in Japan so that we get more AAA efforts from Japanese developers. I feel we need more big budget Japanese games like we had during the PS1 and 2 era. They have so much to offer and variety never hurt anyone. :)

Agreed 100%

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

sc94597 said:
daredevil.shark said:

This year PS4 has big hitters like bloodborne, ff type 0, dragonball xenoverse (already released), yakuza zero, persona 5, mgs v pp, one piece pirate warriors 3 and biggest anime game of the year Naruto shippuden uns 4. Plus good number of Japan centric games. In home console only Wii U is close to PS4 and it is lacking all of these games. So PS4 has no threat in Japan when it comes to home consoles.

Bloodborne and Xenoblade Chronicles X will likely end at the same sales lifetime (250-300k for both) and probably will sell a similar number of consoles for both platforms. Persona 5 is releasing on PS3 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 released for PS3, Vita, and PC, so they won't likely sell many consoles. Wii U also has Revelations # FE, and Splatoon can possibly be successful in Japan. Mario Maker will be succesful, but likey won't sell many consoles. 

Persona is a big game so they will make a ps4 bundle with it so it will boost ps4 sales

ethomaz said:
sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

The wii was at 4,635,778 by the end of 2007, according to Vgchartz. It released in November 18th 2006. So 6+52 = 58. 4,635,778/58 =  84,467 consoles on average. For the week of March 9 2008 the Wii sold 54,088, for March 16th it sold 53,476, for March 23rd it sold 56,258, etc, etc. The baseline was > 50k. So... 

Around the Network
thephenomenon said:
sc94597 said:
daredevil.shark said:

This year PS4 has big hitters like bloodborne, ff type 0, dragonball xenoverse (already released), yakuza zero, persona 5, mgs v pp, one piece pirate warriors 3 and biggest anime game of the year Naruto shippuden uns 4. Plus good number of Japan centric games. In home console only Wii U is close to PS4 and it is lacking all of these games. So PS4 has no threat in Japan when it comes to home consoles.

Bloodborne and Xenoblade Chronicles X will likely end at the same sales lifetime (250-300k for both) and probably will sell a similar number of consoles for both platforms. Persona 5 is releasing on PS3 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 released for PS3, Vita, and PC, so they won't likely sell many consoles. Wii U also has Revelations # FE, and Splatoon can possibly be successful in Japan. Mario Maker will be succesful, but likey won't sell many consoles. 

Persona is a big game so they will make a ps4 bundle with it so it will boost ps4 sales

Persona isn't that big. It sells like 300k lifetime in Japan on consoles with higher Japanese install bases. It's about as big as Bloodborne, and it is multiplat PS3/PS4. 

sc94597 said:

The wii was at 4,635,778 by the end of 2007, according to Vgchartz. It released in November 18th 2006. So 6+52 = 58. 4,635,778/58 =  84,467 consoles on average. For the week of March 9 2008 the Wii sold 54,088, for March 16th it sold 43,476, for March 23rd it sold 56,258, etc, etc. The baseline was > 50k. So... 

Wii did 12m in Japan... PS3 did close to that too (11m?)... PS2 did over 20m.

So no... Wii didn't get stream in Japan and just did avg. sales... that is why people said Japan console game was dead.

ethomaz said:

sc94597 said:

The wii was at 4,635,778 by the end of 2007, according to Vgchartz. It released in November 18th 2006. So 6+52 = 58. 4,635,778/58 =  84,467 consoles on average. For the week of March 9 2008 the Wii sold 54,088, for March 16th it sold 43,476, for March 23rd it sold 56,258, etc, etc. The baseline was > 50k. So... 

Wii did 12m in Japan... PS3 did close to that too (11m?)... PS2 did over 20m.

So no... Wii didn't get stream in Japan and just did avg. sales... that is why people said Japan console game was dead.

We are talking about weekly sales, not lifetime sales. PS2 and PS3 have been supported on the market for many more years than the Wii. Even if PS4 is supported on the market as long as the PS2 and PS3, its sales will likely not match the Wii's. For the same points in their lifetime, Wii >> PS4, and PS2 >>>>> PS4. That is representative of a declining Japanese console market. 

sc94597 said:

Persona isn't that big. It sells like 300k lifetime in Japan on consoles with higher Japanese install bases. It's about as big as Bloodborne, and it is multiplat PS3/PS4. 

I think the fact that Persona 4 the golden sold as much as the original is an indication that the IP is bigger then before.

Being ps3/ps4 multiplat dosn't mean it won't boost ps4,Dragon quest here is cross-gen yet it boosted ps4 because it had a bundle

With support comes sales.

When it starts getting the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, expect to see great things.