By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 is picking up steam in Japan

The releases of Japanese centric games is already over until MGS5. Let see what will be the new baseline.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
sc94597 said:

Bloodborne and Xenoblade Chronicles X will likely end at the same sales lifetime (250-300k for both) and probably will sell a similar number of consoles for both platforms. Persona 5 is releasing on PS3 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 released for PS3, Vita, and PC, so they won't likely sell many consoles. Wii U also has Revelations # FE, and Splatoon can possibly be successful in Japan. Mario Maker will be succesful, but likey won't sell many consoles. 

Bloodborne allready sold 150k in Japan, it will probably sell over 400k lifetime there alone.

If it has strong legs. It dropped quite signficantly. 

sc94597 said:
Ruler said:

Bloodborne allready sold 150k in Japan, it will probably sell over 400k lifetime there alone.

Darksouls 2 sold 370k units in japan for the ps3

Angelv577 said:
The releases of Japanese centric games is already over until MGS5. Let see what will be the new baseline.

FF15, XenoX, deep down and Scalebound are coming out too soon

Ruler said:
sc94597 said:

Darksouls 2 sold 370k units in japan for the ps3

If the rerelease Bloodborne as a platinum or GOTY when PS4 has more Japanese sales I can see it hitting 400k, otherwise I think it will be closer to Demon's Souls sales.

Around the Network

The support has to continue. PS3 took a long time to start to sell well. It helped also very well that last gen was so long. The mobile market has/is closed to surpassing the console market in Japan. Ps one and PS2 were heavy supported...

ethomaz said:
sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

PS4 1 year 2 months = 1 holiday
PS3 1 year 2 months = 2 holidays

Well PS4 did first year around 1.2 million in Japan...(holidays are not really that important)..
PS3 did 1.3 million...

But honestly the PS3 first year was kind of bad in Japan almost no games, no FF/no MGS and being very expensive compared to PS4 launch price. 

Oh Yeah PS2 did amazing little more than three years it had shipped more than 12 million in Japan for sure so like 3 million a year...

Sony expected shipments in 2003 to slip from previous years.[9] Sony projected shipments of 20 million, versus 22.5 the year before.[10] Sony had shipped 60 million units as of September 2003. 26.4 million units went to North America, 19.4 million to Europe, and the "vast majority" of the remaining 14.2 went to Japan.[10]

I used 12 million for Japan but would not be surprised if it was close to 14 million.

Edit: 
PS2 sold in 2000: 3,7 million     2001: 3,6 million     2002:  3,6 million etc...

Ruler said:
Angelv577 said:

I was talking about ps4 only.  There isn't a release date for FF15 yet right? neither deep down.  Scalebound is a xbox exclusive I think.

Angelv577 said:
Ruler said:

I was talking about ps4 only.  There isn't a release date for FF15 yet right? neither deep down.  Scalebound is a xbox exclusive I think.

Deep down should come out this year

GamechaserBE said:
ethomaz said:
sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

PS4 1 year 2 months = 1 holiday
PS3 1 year 2 months = 2 holidays

Well PS4 did first year around 1.2 million in Japan...(holidays are not really that important)..
PS3 did 1.3 million...

That pretty much undermines any point you're trying to make. Have a look at the charts. Japan has the same spikes in December as the west and sells the vast majority of consoles in the period between september and January.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.