By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 is picking up steam in Japan

Only if it can keep it's sales. So far we've only seen a temporary bump due to many releases in a short period, followed by a steep decline.

Around the Network
vivster said:
GamechaserBE said:
ethomaz said:
sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

PS4 1 year 2 months = 1 holiday
PS3 1 year 2 months = 2 holidays

Well PS4 did first year around 1.2 million in Japan...(holidays are not really that important)..
PS3 did 1.3 million...

That pretty much undermines any point you're trying to make. Have a look at the charts. Japan has the same spikes in December as the west and sells the vast majority of consoles in the period between september and January.

The PS3's first holiday was not much of a factor though.  It took 6 weeks for PS3 sales to catch up to PS4's first week sales alone, and that was during a holiday.  I realize there were shortages initially but sales didn't go up significantly after the shortages were gone, you can hardly tell looking at the numbers.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ruler said:
Angelv577 said:

I was talking about ps4 only.  There isn't a release date for FF15 yet right? neither deep down.  Scalebound is a xbox exclusive I think.

Deep down should come out this year

I do not know, its looking like its going to end up cancelled.

OttoniBastos said:
How much did PS4 sell this month(5 weeks) in japan?I think it was close to 200k right?!

wasn't it 150k?

vivster said:
GamechaserBE said:
ethomaz said:
sc94597 said:
Yeah, the PS4 is probably going to maintain a 19k-22k baseline. Which is much better than last year. But compared to previous console generations where the top console had 40-50k Japanese baselines around this point in their lives it isn't that great.

I really want to see a comparision between this gen and last gen... I guess PS4 is close to be ahead PS3... so unless you are talking about PS2 gen the last gen didn't do that well in Japan (neither Wii sold 50k baseline there).

PS4 1 year 2 months = 1 holiday
PS3 1 year 2 months = 2 holidays

Well PS4 did first year around 1.2 million in Japan...(holidays are not really that important)..
PS3 did 1.3 million...

That pretty much undermines any point you're trying to make. Have a look at the charts. Japan has the same spikes in December as the west and sells the vast majority of consoles in the period between september and January.

Meh PS4 has its best month right now while in the West it will always be during the holidays.

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:

Meh PS4 has its best month right now while in the West it will always be during the holidays.

Not if FFXV hits during the holidays.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Right. Too bad the sales data is over a month old, so we can't see some more up to date numbers.

vivster said:
GamechaserBE said:

Not if FFXV hits during the holidays.

FFVII  Released in January/FFVIII in February/FFIX July/FFX July/FFXII March/ and FFXIII is the only one that released during the holidays..

we're gonna have to wait a little while to see where the baseline is but it shouldn't revisit last years numbers. We should see the PS3 do 2-3x wii U on the baseline. PS4 has taken the primary home console spot for sure at this point, we just don't know how big that market will really be this time around. I suspect we will see less than PS3 numbers for PS4 though not far off, but with wii U and even the X1 will not be anywhere even close to their previous consoles.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

yeah i like it

hopefully alot of games coming in make them sustain the high sales