By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How a small studio's chance at big time died at Microsoft's doorstep

Enough with the indirect attacks on the OP and derailment of the thread.

Discuss the topic at hand or do not post.

Around the Network

Who else thought the game looked interesting? I thought that it was interesting and different from a lot of the games that I see.

fleischr said:
So much for a system seller... Many were pretty hyped for this last E3

Its only a system seller for a small niche group that cared about the original.

Lets not exagerate the hype this was receiving and it hasnt been cancelled. MS said it was still being developed in response to the original studio shutting down.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

tolu619 said:
bananaking21 said:
after reading the article its pretty clear microsoft were massive assholes. they constantly added and changed requests and ideas, they treated the company like shit, and they basically drove the company down to bankruptcy. and here we are people are defending MS. did anybody really real the full article?

No, I didn't. Can you please repost the link?

its in the OP

http://kotaku.com/how-a-small-game-studio-almost-made-it-big-1696997142

Unfortunate but sometimes just the way business works in gaming. Some pubs. may not garner enough interest from a dev., hence their refusal of support.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network

I thought the game was still being made though?

FloatingWaffles said:
I thought the game was still being made though?

according to microsoft, who have lied through their teeth about many pieces of info regarding the game apperantly. of course, it could possibily still be in development, but until we see for ourselfs something we wont really know. 

bananaking21 said:
after reading the article its pretty clear microsoft were massive assholes. they constantly added and changed requests and ideas, they treated the company like shit, and they basically drove the company down to bankruptcy. and here we are people are defending MS. did anybody really real the full article?

After reading the article I don't think Microsoft were being assholes, its more like the decision was base more like it came from  a business standpoint. Like what Burek said the three minute video shows (did you watch it? It was posted here in the thread) that the game wasn't really going to take off well so it was wise not to waste more money on it.

Proud to be a Californian.

darkenergy said:
bananaking21 said:

After reading the article I don't think Microsoft were being assholes, its more like the decision was base more like it came from  a business standpoint. Like what Burek said the three minute video shows (did you watch it? It was posted here in the thread) that the game wasn't really going to take off well so it was wise not to waste more money on it.

it was a business decision yes, i get that, but they still were assholes. they agreed on a deal, they would fund the studio 5 million for a certain product. after just a week MS started demanding new things, after a while they demanded a 6 hour long single player. then they went on to announce the game without the studio even knowing about it, setting a look and feel for the game with a CGI trailer without using any of the assests the devs were using, and then went on to say it will be a "30 long hour JRPG" without the devs even knowing about MS's intention.

the studio was overwhelmed with MS's demands, they had to put all their staff on phantum dust, they went all in because they were forced too, and couldnt take any more projects. then they tried to present a verticle slice of the game for MS which was said MS liked, yet they didnt even want to fund them, 5 million wasnt enough because MS keept demanding more and more things, which resulted in the studio going bankrupt because MS cancelled on them. 

yeah it was a business decision to not spend more than 5 million on a game like phantum dust. but they clearly went and fucked over the studio because of it. 

Based on the leaked Video, i wish Microsoft had funded the project to the end no matter how long it took or how much the cost.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’