By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How a small studio's chance at big time died at Microsoft's doorstep

daredevil.shark said:
$2 million is very small compared to other games. Microsoft should have taken the chance. It looked interesting.

5 million was the budget. 2 million is what they received thus far. Its a niche game and I thought I heard it was going to be free to play.

Maybe MS felt they were getting ripped off. There are always two sides to a story.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I just hope that the final product is a full-fledged game with a proper campaign and multiplayer and not some F2PMP game.

OttoniBastos said:
This western industry man....

I mean,we huge budget for rehashed,underwhelming games with lack of features that make us wonder "where the hell the money went?" and then a game like this that was supose to be a gift for fans is cheaped out like this.....

I'm not saying they should just burn money on a niche game,but damn at least give enough to actually make the project "doable".

If the studio thought they could do it for 5 million then it should haven been done for that amount. Changing their tune and asking for 7 to 8 million is crazy.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

RolStoppable said:
Just when I thought that my less than favorable opinion of Microsoft could change, something like this happens. Today Microsoft lost me as a customer.

But the game isnt cancelled, they probably just want a developer that is capable of sticking within a budget. I assume most studios MS works with achieve that.

MS may not be cutting its losses like the OP says. The work completed thus far will likely move to another studio.

Recently Completed

EspadaGrim said:
I just hope that the final product is a full-fledged game with a proper campaign and multiplayer and not some F2PMP game.

I got the impression they were going for a strategy like Killer Instinct. F2P and would be complete over time.

Which is fine by me. I feel some games can become better that way instead of rushing something out.

Recently Completed

Around the Network

Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. Yeah, it sucks but MS surely isn't the first company to do this.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

LemonSlice said:
Kresnik said:

Did they fail to deliver?  The article suggests MS increased the scope of the project but gave them no more money for it:

"No more than a week after they’d signed the contract, according to several ex-Darkside employees, Microsoft’s team came back to the studio with a new request: they wanted a single-player campaign. “They decided that fans were gonna want a single-player game,” said a person who worked on the project. “But they weren’t going to change the budget or the timeframe.”

Suddenly, what was once a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust had become a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust with a six-hour single-player story mode attached. "

" One particularly strange moment for Darkside happened around then, when Microsoft’s Ken Lobb said on a podcast that Phantom Dust would be “about a 30-hour JRPG.” The developers were baffled. That was never part of their plan."

Wow, just wow. Under those circumstances they could only deliver an insult of a game.

Good post Kresnik.

Yea, pretty dick move.  Such poor communication coming from MS's side.  My guess is the single-player campaign was requested by MS after they saw the complaints about Titanfall.  Then, to promise a 30 hr JRPG, without even telling the dev that's what you wanted and with the dev only having a remaining $3M coming their way to develop the game?  That raises it a whole 'nother level.

Mr Puggsly said:
OttoniBastos said:
This western industry man....

I mean,we huge budget for rehashed,underwhelming games with lack of features that make us wonder "where the hell the money went?" and then a game like this that was supose to be a gift for fans is cheaped out like this.....

I'm not saying they should just burn money on a niche game,but damn at least give enough to actually make the project "doable".

If the studio thought they could do it for 5 million then it should haven been done for that amount. Changing their tune and asking for 7 to 8 million is crazy.

Uh...maybe you missed the part where MS wanted a 6hr single-player campaign, but weren't going to give them another dime after the intial $5M.  $5M they had originally agreed to when it was going to be MP only.  Then, it was promised by a head at Xbox to be a ~30 hr campaign.  You honestly don't think asking for some more money to reach that goal is unreasonable, right?

thismeintiel said:

Uh...maybe you missed the part where MS wanted a 6hr single-player campaign, but weren't going to give them another dime after the intial $5M.  $5M they had originally agreed to when it was going to be MP only.  Then, it was promised by a head at Xbox to be a ~30 hr campaign.  You honestly don't think asking for some more money to reach that goal is unreasonable, right?

Just because the campaign is 30 hours doesn't mean they have to pour a ton of money into it. A lot of these JRPGs can be longer than that and probably work with that budget. Those games are often considered a success after selling a few hundred thousand.

Some games have mega budgets and are only a few hours all long. Use some common sense, hours of gameplay and budget aren't equal.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I read it was supposed to launch as multiplayer only and have the campaign added in later. That's kinda what MS is doing with Killer Instinct. I can play as Season 2 characters, but none of them have their story yet.

Recently Completed

thismeintiel said:

Yea, pretty dick move.  Such poor communication coming from MS's side.  My guess is the single-player campaign was requested by MS after they saw the complaints about Titanfall.  Then, to promise a 30 hr JRPG, without even telling the dev that's what you wanted and with the dev only having a remaining $3M coming their way to develop the game?  That raises it a whole 'nother level.

You do know this is a remake of the original game, right? That had a campaign, I assume from the start the goal was to just recreate that. Actually, the developer said themselves the inital goal was a remake of the original game.

Even without a campaign Titanfall sold better than most shooters and received critical acclaim by the way.

Recently Completed