By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How a small studio's chance at big time died at Microsoft's doorstep

binary solo said:

Sounds to me like Darkside didn't play it very smart. Though MS are the dicks in this situation.

As soon as MS said they needed to do a SP campaign Darkside should have played hardball and demanded a budgetary increase. If MS said no Darkside should have said "no extra budget no SP campaign, do you still want the project to move forward?" Project management is all about constantly reassessing whether the project can be successfully completed, as soon as the answer is no it can't then the project must either end or alterations muct be made to the project in order for the assessment to return to a yes situation.

It is definitely shit for MS to substantially increase the scope and not allocate additional funds for it.

Darkside were certainly lead by a good deal of emotion in their handling of the situation, they wanted to make a game of their own and were pushing along forward of doing so. we dont now all the details about what would have happened if they just said "no". would MS scrap phantum dust then and cancel on them? maybe, what would have happened to the studio then? would they have ended and were they forced to continue along because they had no other chance? or did they think its worth the risk? the thing is, i would have probably done the same thing, as without ambition the studio would have never made their own game. 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
HollyGamer said:
Microsoft is not a charity company, they might thing more then twice for games that will fit for their audience and their potential consumer, They had a team that judge games and doing some research, maybe some games had their interest and some games is not, it's not like every games is coming for their preferable platform. Some miss some hit, so i bet this is for the best.

Well if the decision was motivated by pure business, that's fine.  But they didn't have to be jerks about it.  Tasking the team with first a multiplayer only game, then upping it to a 6h singleplayer game, then a 30h singleplayer game and refusing to give them any additional budget or time and then, after lengthy budget negotiations, just dropping them?  That's not a very professional way of conducting yourself.  It may have been good business, but it was handled unprofessionally. 

If that the case then maybe Microsoft is to be blame but is that really the real story, some developer or people or even story maker always hyperbole some stories, But still if that the case then it's microsoft fault, but i think we cannot  blame everything to Microsoft and it's not only Microsoft who ever did this, maybe it's just unlucky thing for Microsoft to get exposed, it's hard to judge especially from one sided information.

bananaking21 said:
binary solo said:

Sounds to me like Darkside didn't play it very smart. Though MS are the dicks in this situation.

As soon as MS said they needed to do a SP campaign Darkside should have played hardball and demanded a budgetary increase. If MS said no Darkside should have said "no extra budget no SP campaign, do you still want the project to move forward?" Project management is all about constantly reassessing whether the project can be successfully completed, as soon as the answer is no it can't then the project must either end or alterations muct be made to the project in order for the assessment to return to a yes situation.

It is definitely shit for MS to substantially increase the scope and not allocate additional funds for it.

Darkside were certainly lead by a good deal of emotion in their handling of the situation, they wanted to make a game of their own and were pushing along forward of doing so. we dont now all the details about what would have happened if they just said "no". would MS scrap phantum dust then and cancel on them? maybe, what would have happened to the studio then? would they have ended and were they forced to continue along because they had no other chance? or did they think its worth the risk? the thing is, i would have probably done the same thing, as without ambition the studio would have never made their own game. 

The way the article reads Darkside went all in and refused other work some time after the major scope creep happened. If they'd put the acid on MS from the start to up the budget then they would probably still be in business as an outsourcing studio. It's grunt work but it pays the bills. What studios like this need to do is get some indie projects going on the side do your own brand new IP, maybe even do a kickstarter campaign. The problem with trying to create all of someone else's vision is that they are in control not you, and it's too easy for things to go bad.

One of the best things about getting a good rep as an outsourcing unit is that you work with a bunch of different studios at almost no risk. You get paid regardless of whether the game flops or succeeds and headline studios might come and go, but an outsourcing unit with a good rep will just keep on going. The other thing about outsourcing projects, unlike this Phanton Dust abortion, is the scope of the projects is always very well defined and tightly controlled, because its just one cog in a much bigger machine. So it's easier to know exactly what is required and easier to deliver.

It's a shame that the ambition to break into AAA ruined a good thing.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

HollyGamer said:
Nuvendil said:
HollyGamer said:
Microsoft is not a charity company, they might thing more then twice for games that will fit for their audience and their potential consumer, They had a team that judge games and doing some research, maybe some games had their interest and some games is not, it's not like every games is coming for their preferable platform. Some miss some hit, so i bet this is for the best.

Well if the decision was motivated by pure business, that's fine.  But they didn't have to be jerks about it.  Tasking the team with first a multiplayer only game, then upping it to a 6h singleplayer game, then a 30h singleplayer game and refusing to give them any additional budget or time and then, after lengthy budget negotiations, just dropping them?  That's not a very professional way of conducting yourself.  It may have been good business, but it was handled unprofessionally. 

If that the case then maybe Microsoft is to be blame but is that really the real story, some developer or people or even story maker always hyperbole some stories, But still if that the case then it's microsoft fault, but i think we cannot  blame everything to Microsoft and it's not only Microsoft who ever did this, maybe it's just unlucky thing for Microsoft to get exposed, it's hard to judge especially from one sided information.

Well Microsofts refusal to so much as comment at the request of the article writer is a pretty bad sign.  I mean, if they were lying MS would have every right to speak out and even to sue them if the lie is damaging enough.  That they declined an open invitation to refute the story would imply that the general facts are fairly close to reality. 

fleischr said:
So much for a system seller... Many were pretty hyped for this last E3

its not canceled.

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network

MS cant afford giving money to indies, cause they spend all theyre money buying exclusivity from games like Tomb Raider.

bunchanumbers said:

It was a smart move. MS is wise to make sure a game is on budget and on schedule. Sony would be wise to do stuff like this too. They wasted millions on projects that took far too long to happen and in some cases never happened. If MS was running the show I'm betting that TLG would have been canceled long ago.

From what I know, MS made all this demands about how they wanted the game to be and the studio said, OK but with the agreed upon 5 million bucks we cant do all that you want, and MS said well sucks for you them Im gona pull the plug on this and make your studio go bankrupt.