By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How a small studio's chance at big time died at Microsoft's doorstep

Ms should of gave Darkside the budget that was needed to make the game. They poured how much money into kinect 2 and it went no where? How much money was spent on marketing it? Microsoft needs all the interesting IP's it can get to make the xbone appealing to gamers.

Around the Network

A great example of poor communication, poor planning, poor budgeting, and overall massive confusion between all relevant parties. The fact that they produced an expensive CG announcement trailer for it is absolutely bananas to me.

This isn't limited to MS by any stretch, but it is one of the more visible examples in recent memory.

alternine said:

Lol He doesn't have to be from the M camp just to post it. Not everything's a conspiracy.

I don't think everything is a conspiracy though, I'm not an illuminati nut but I can notice trends and when there's bias/agendas, I'm not the only one to notice the trend anyway.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Why do people keep saying it's dead now? Did Microsoft come out and announce that its been canceled or are people just assuming this from the story. Because I remember Microsoft saying the game was still in development when the story broke about the Studio closing.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:
Why do people keep saying it's dead now? Did Microsoft come out and announce that its been canceled or are people just assuming this from the story. Because I remember Microsoft saying the game was still in development when the story broke about the Studio closing.

it's not officially abandoned, but if this story is right the remake-like project got axed for a few (let's say 3-5) million dollars missing in dev budget to fully realize it, so it's a bit hard to see them using an even higher budget for a complete reimagination of the franchise into a full priced mainstream release - they could turn it into a regular card game or something else without complex 3D graphics on a slimmer budget

edit: damn there is so much more to this article/story than those few lines in the OP indicate

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:
This western industry man....

I mean,we huge budget for rehashed,underwhelming games with lack of features that make us wonder "where the hell the money went?" and then a game like this that was supose to be a gift for fans is cheaped out like this.....

I'm not saying they should just burn money on a niche game,but damn at least give enough to actually make the project "doable".

But the project isn't canceled.  It moved on to another developer which suggest that Phil still want this title made, just that he was not comfortable with the current developer being able to deliver the product he wants.  With the studio closing after MS lost faith in them probably means this project was beyound them.  If anything MS probably will drop this project on more seasoned developers who can get it done within budget and be a solid title.

Kresnik said:

Did they fail to deliver?  The article suggests MS increased the scope of the project but gave them no more money for it:

"No more than a week after they’d signed the contract, according to several ex-Darkside employees, Microsoft’s team came back to the studio with a new request: they wanted a single-player campaign. “They decided that fans were gonna want a single-player game,” said a person who worked on the project. “But they weren’t going to change the budget or the timeframe.”

Suddenly, what was once a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust had become a $5 million multiplayer reboot of Phantom Dust with a six-hour single-player story mode attached. "

" One particularly strange moment for Darkside happened around then, when Microsoft’s Ken Lobb said on a podcast that Phantom Dust would be “about a 30-hour JRPG.” The developers were baffled. That was never part of their plan."

Wow, just wow. Under those circumstances they could only deliver an insult of a game.

Good post Kresnik.

Kresnik said:

Sony cancel projects all the time too, you know.  Most recent one that springs to mind is Warrior's Lair, which was about as far along as this judging by the footage that was released.

OMG so that's how Warrior's Lair looks like? It looks neat and could be addictive.....exactly my type of game!

Sony is such a d**k to cancel this game

One might think this is a very common scenario among all 3 platform makers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well...that's not depressing. This business is no joke. It almost scares me to not want to get into it. You could be REALLY talented, but if the money isn't there...it's just bye bye. :