By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer - Virtual Reality Not Yet 'A Thing'

sales2099 said:
sabvre42 said:
And this supports my decision to never buy an Xbox One, and to sell my 360.

Well aren't you a impressionable young man?

Sounds like you made up your mind a long time ago and someone just saying what is actually fact, that VR isn't mainstream yet, influencing your decisions on what gaming console you play, is silly at best.

Honestly I don't understand why he would even make that statement it just sounds silly. It's not a "now" thing. Of course it's not people are in the process of working on games/headsets as we speak but it will be a thing very soon. I j ust don't see why he would make it seem like MS doesn't care about VR or isn't interested in it. That's only going to drive people away. He should be saying things like "MS is very interested in VR and we have a team working on it now". No one is going to stay away from the X1 because they are looking into VR like every single other gaming company in the world.

They will stay away from the X1 if they get the impression that MS doesn't care about it or has no intentions of getting into it. Which his statement sort of gives that attitude. 

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
JEMC said:

I agree with him but even in a few years when the technology is finally there to make it happen, will the games be ready for it?

Sure, VR will be awesome for some games like FPS and racing games, but what about the other genres? How will it be to play a third person shooter, an adventure game, a RPG or a platformer with those headsets?

Third person games play very well. Surprisingly so.

FPS play very weirdly and are difficult to get right (movement on sticks vs head tracking; your body gets confused). I played a great proceduraly generated horror game called Monstrum and whilst the VR makes it highly immersive, the basic movement is still controlled on analog sticks which makes it very disorientating.

As for the other genres it really does depend on how well they adapt to VR and the way they implement perspective.

The best games I've played on VR are all ones where you're in a cockpit and controlling a vehicle. Flight based games are going to see a revival with this tech imo.

In regards to movement, something like this is a solution.  But of course support, adoption, and cost are all factors as to whether it will catch on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuix_Omni

@method114

Yeah I agree.
People that think VR is going to be a fad, or a niche or go away again soon.
5 years from now you ll probably be looking back and shakeing your heads about how you viewed VR.

I also think people that go.... "buts its years and years away from being ready" are all wrong.
Could be surprised by uptake in sales and market growth with VR.

I just hope Sony price their version really aggressively (maybe even sold at a tiny loss) to build up market share for it. (if your going to buy a VR headset, you ll also buy some software to experiance with it)

Sony needs to get this right though, if its over priced it could take longer than needed to build up a market for VR games.

CladInShadows said:
Scoobes said:
JEMC said:

I agree with him but even in a few years when the technology is finally there to make it happen, will the games be ready for it?

Sure, VR will be awesome for some games like FPS and racing games, but what about the other genres? How will it be to play a third person shooter, an adventure game, a RPG or a platformer with those headsets?

Third person games play very well. Surprisingly so.

FPS play very weirdly and are difficult to get right (movement on sticks vs head tracking; your body gets confused). I played a great proceduraly generated horror game called Monstrum and whilst the VR makes it highly immersive, the basic movement is still controlled on analog sticks which makes it very disorientating.

As for the other genres it really does depend on how well they adapt to VR and the way they implement perspective.

The best games I've played on VR are all ones where you're in a cockpit and controlling a vehicle. Flight based games are going to see a revival with this tech imo.

In regards to movement, something like this is a solution.  But of course support, adoption, and cost are all factors as to whether it will catch on.

For now lets just settle with your head being inside a virtual world... and leave body movement out of the question.

People that play video games usually dont want to spend hours and hours running inside a small ring just to simulate reality.

People will be happy if you just give them a normal controller to hold in your hands, while your heads movement display the gameworld as it would the real world via head movement. Which will also allow you to play the "normal" type games you already play with a controller, without haveing to think up silly ways to play games.

JRPGfan said:
CladInShadows said:

For now lets just settle with your head being inside a virtual world... and leave body movement out of the question.

People that play video games usually dont want to spend hours and hours running inside a small ring just to simulate reality.

People will be happy if you just give them a normal controller to hold in your hands, while your heads movement display the gameworld as it would the real world via head movement. Which will also allow you to play the "normal" type games you already play with a controller, without haveing to think up silly ways to play games.

And the beauty of it is nobody is forcing anybody to use an Omni with their VR headsets.  But it's an option for those who want greater immersion.  And its kickstarter campaign kind of destroyed its target goal, so obviously some interest is there.  For those rotund gamers wanting to lose a little weight, I could see this being an option too.

I personally don't know if I could justify the cost or the living room real estate for something like the Omni, but I'd sure love to try one.

Around the Network

"I personally don't know if I could justify the cost or the living room real estate for something like the Omni, but I'd sure love to try one."

^ this.

I wanna be able to go a mall, find a arcade with a VR + Omni setup and try that out.
Sounds like it could be a fun experiance.

But I personally wouldnt buy something like the Omni.

JRPGfan said:
"I personally don't know if I could justify the cost or the living room real estate for something like the Omni, but I'd sure love to try one."

^ this.

I wanna be able to go a mall, find a arcade with a VR + Omni setup and try that out.
Sounds like it could be a fun experiance.

But I personally wouldnt buy something like the Omni.

If I had a bigger house, maybe.  Set up something in the basement, perhaps.  But right now, not a chance.  But I could change my mind at some point.  I just love shit like this. Add in haptic suits, and the possibilities are limitless.

method114 said:
sales2099 said:
sabvre42 said:
And this supports my decision to never buy an Xbox One, and to sell my 360.

Well aren't you a impressionable young man?

Sounds like you made up your mind a long time ago and someone just saying what is actually fact, that VR isn't mainstream yet, influencing your decisions on what gaming console you play, is silly at best.

Honestly I don't understand why he would even make that statement it just sounds silly. It's not a "now" thing. Of course it's not people are in the process of working on games/headsets as we speak but it will be a thing very soon. I j ust don't see why he would make it seem like MS doesn't care about VR or isn't interested in it. That's only going to drive people away. He should be saying things like "MS is very interested in VR and we have a team working on it now". No one is going to stay away from the X1 because they are looking into VR like every single other gaming company in the world.

They will stay away from the X1 if they get the impression that MS doesn't care about it or has no intentions of getting into it. Which his statement sort of gives that attitude. 

He didn't say that at all. He said VR isn't mainstream today. That doesn't mean they have no R&D working on their own version. They actually announced VR plans with Windows 10 to be rolled out in a few years.

People just believe what they want to believe, when all he said was that you don't see the kids begging their parents to buy them a VR headset like they ask them to buy COD ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I agree with many that I thought Microsoft was dropping the ball with VR. But after seeing the HoloLense demo I have a new appreciation for AR. With HoloLense they can blend the game and your real surrounds so you can still do things, without bumping into stuff and knocking over your beverage. Plus, I would think you can darken the room or lens backing to make it go more like VR if you want. It seems even the Riff is making some kind of Kinect tracking device for their system. So I suspect they have been refining this stuff all along.

Remember they have invented some new kind of processing chip for HoloLense. We have CPU's (Central Processing Unit), and GPU's (Graphic Processing Unit) and we have yet to see what their HPU (Hologram Processing Unit) can do. Instincts tell me it's going to be quite unique and do some powerfully complex spacial math as a basic function.

The latest wave is really the result of Occulus, and they were bought by FaceBook. Microsoft was a major investor and still a large shareholder in FaceBook. I wouldn't think it would be hard for them to bring it over if it really succeeds or they wanted it.

If the Sony Morpheus works well I would totally consider getting it. I think the HoloDeck or the things in Space BattleShip Yamato that are just like them, are the wave of the future. Might not be in the soon future, but AR/VR is a first step.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Chazore said:
Boosted said:
Another nail in their console effort coffin, seems ms screw ups will continue under him. They will miss the boat on a massive gaming and entertainment shift, all due to him. For all his pr training and acting, he cant hide the typical ms arrogance. MS and vr will be as behind the times and irrelevant as sony and motion controls or nintendo and adult gaming.

Vr is the future, as tv did to radio it will do to siting in front of a boring large screen.

Putting all your eggs in one basket aren't we?, we don't know how well VR will take off and even then MS still has time to adjust and they are working on their AR technology, I don't see Nintendo advancing theirs or Sony making an effort on AR at all.

Not at all ? But the time is now, if they are waiting to see the bus likely it will pass them by.   Ar is a gimmick.