By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer - Virtual Reality Not Yet 'A Thing'

Landguy said:
Protendo said:
If VR does takes off, Microsoft is going to find themselves in a world of hurt. Having experienced Portal, it's more of a when then an if at this point.

Not sure why you and so many others make the jump from MS saying that "now" it isnt ready to them not planning their own VR tech to come out.  They have made it very clear that they are developing their own VR tech and they have already showed their AR tech in Hololens.  Spencer simply said that he believes that it isn't now, but it isn't going to be 5 years either.  So, I would guess their own tech is 12-36 months from coming out and they want to slow down the excitement for a tech that they aren't ready with their own product.  

Either way, VR is 12-24 months from mattering too much.  So, Spencer isn't that wrong...

You don't say things like this if you are close. If others are close you are behind.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Vasto said:

Cant belive a parent just said that.

I am also a dad of 2 and if I was going to use VR it would be when the kids are up because I know somebody is aware and come get me if something happns. Why on earth would you go into a VR world when your kids are in bed alseep?

Also with a pc game you can see and hear your home.

So do you not sleep?  

Do you?

the-pi-guy said:
Vasto said:

Do you?

Yes, but I take turns sleeping with someone else.  That way an adult is always up and alert.  

You take turns sleeping? What is this The Walking Dead?

the-pi-guy said:
Vasto said:
the-pi-guy said:

Yes, but I take turns sleeping with someone else.  That way an adult is always up and alert.  

You take turns sleeping? What is this The Walking Dead?

I'm kidding.  I'm just saying that the idea that you've got to be alert, so no headsets is a little bit exaggerated.  

Particularly when some people sleeping would be even more sensory deprived than the headset.  

If you say so but we will see. Just remember you heard it here first because I do want the credit.

Protendo said:
Landguy said:

Not sure why you and so many others make the jump from MS saying that "now" it isnt ready to them not planning their own VR tech to come out.  They have made it very clear that they are developing their own VR tech and they have already showed their AR tech in Hololens.  Spencer simply said that he believes that it isn't now, but it isn't going to be 5 years either.  So, I would guess their own tech is 12-36 months from coming out and they want to slow down the excitement for a tech that they aren't ready with their own product.  

Either way, VR is 12-24 months from mattering too much.  So, Spencer isn't that wrong...

You don't say things like this if you are close. If others are close you are behind.

True, but your comment indicated that you thought the MS wasn't developing the tech at all or thought that it wasn't needed.

I would guess that MS is behind on this.  But, being behind on a tech that hasn't shown ANY sales or any viability yet in the market proves nothing.  I agree that someday, VR will be important tech.  I actually agree that this "first generation" of the tech coming from 4-5 companies will bring a general acceptance of the idea of the tech to consumers.  It will really be the next or 2nd generation of the tech that matters.  It will be the company or companies that make the tech easy to use and cheap in the second generation that will matter.  Who wins in th first gen if its possible to "win" with 4-5 companies all bringing out similar tech will not matter.  VR will be a commodity in 5 years, and it won't matter.  Like others have mentioned, with the XB1 getting windows 10, all MS needs is someone to develop a VR tech that works for windows and their problem is solved for the XB1.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

So, thought this deserved a bump.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

People should try it out before saying its not a thing for them

zero129 said:
JRPGfan said:
bananaking21 said:
so basically what he is trying to say is "yeah its interesting, but its not important", in an indirect way. if VR actually becomes a success MS are gonna be in a really bad place, because while VR isnt a "now thing" its right around the corner, and the big dogs arent fucking around when it comes to it, Valve, HTC, Facebook and Sony are gonna be going all in.

Yep , that sounded really down played.

Xbox is gonna be left behinde when it comes to VR compaired to sony, basically just got comfirmed.

"Sure, VR will be awesome for some games like FPS and racing games, but what about the other genres? How will it be to play a third person shooter, an adventure game, a RPG or a platformer with those headsets?"

who cares if not all game genre are suited  for it?

If it turns out its the best way to experiance a FPS, and the market takes off while MS is just twiddling its thumbs waiting on others to see how things turn out... its going to be behinde from the get go.

"I agree with him but even in a few years when the technology is finally there to make it happen, will the games be ready for it?"

Its looks like the technology is here.... now, not a few years away.

Its just a matter of hitting the market with the right price & a good game to go along with it,... and you ll lunch the start of a new way to experiance gameing.

VR could be big, if such a wave was to hit the scene, you would want to be ontop of your game for it.

Ok i know this wasnt for me and i dont know if anyone replyed to you after, but i just had to but in..

1. bananaking21 wasnt downplaying anything in fact! even he was wrong too!!..

Yes on the PC side the tech is here but if you think your PS4 or X1 will be playing games like Uncharted 4 or Halo 5 in Vr your in for a shock as they are just not powrful enough to give 2 1080P screens in at least 60FPS to get rid of motion sickness! but i guess you must think our current gen consoles can do that??.

2. Phil is 100% right todays consoles just wont be able to do VR the way most people excpect sure they will show pictures etc in VR but when it comes to games they will only be able to do very simple type games as remember VR takes twice as much power to use as a non VR set since your displying the same image twice and its been proving you need at least 60HZ not to feel motion sickness in most cases evenb more!. so if the PS4 or X1 cant even hit that with most non VR games how do you expect it to do so with them??

you dont need both to have 1080p image, just half for each eye

http://ps4daily.com/2015/03/ps4-vr-headset-120-fps/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/03/19/lots-of-project-morpheus-details-no-problem-hitting-1080p60fps-with-games/

Its not a now thing.... its a month from now thing :P

(we need to get a agreement in order with oculus rift first)

"I’m not saying it’s five years from now, but it’s not really a now now thing." - Phil Spencer.

Suuuuuuure... not quite 5years away, but there abouts aye?

basically 1month lateron.... look guys we have a VR demo of a game streamed into a virtual liveing room.