By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer - Virtual Reality Not Yet 'A Thing'

Aura7541 said:
true_fan said:

Very few people are going to sit in their gaming area with a freaking helmet on, or those huge goggles. The same way very few people wanted to wear 3d glasses in their living room to look at a 3d tv. Not to mention VR causes dizziness and nausea for some people, so I doubt you can even have extended play times.

So you're basically making a bunch of assumptions. The comparison to 3D glasses and 3DTV's is also a very weak one considering 3DTV's and VR headsets are functionally different.

At the end of the day, it's all about execution. As Zekkyou said before, touchscreens have been around for decades, but it wasn't until about 10 years ago, touchscreen devices took off. How come? Because the technology worked really well.

Yes I assume VR will flop and won't even make it to niche status with regards to gaming.  All imo of course, and I said this even when there was an article saying MSFT would look into VR, so don't think my opinion is based on MSFT not yet planning VR.

Also to your point about toughscreens, you see what happened when they made touch screen monitors, they flopped. For phones and pads they are perfect and I don't think there were early (phone pad) touch screen prototypes that failed.

Around the Network

Another nail in their console effort coffin, seems ms screw ups will continue under him. They will miss the boat on a massive gaming and entertainment shift, all due to him. For all his pr training and acting, he cant hide the typical ms arrogance. MS and vr will be as behind the times and irrelevant as sony and motion controls or nintendo and adult gaming.

Vr is the future, as tv did to radio it will do to siting in front of a boring large screen.

true_fan said:
Aura7541 said:

So you're basically making a bunch of assumptions. The comparison to 3D glasses and 3DTV's is also a very weak one considering 3DTV's and VR headsets are functionally different.

At the end of the day, it's all about execution. As Zekkyou said before, touchscreens have been around for decades, but it wasn't until about 10 years ago, touchscreen devices took off. How come? Because the technology worked really well.

Yes I assume VR will flop and won't even make it to niche status with regards to gaming.  All imo of course, and I said this even when there was an article saying MSFT would look into VR, so don't think my opinion is based on MSFT not yet planning VR.

Also to your point about toughscreens, you see what happened when they made touch screen monitors, they flopped. For phones and pads they are perfect and I don't think there were early (phone pad) touch screen prototypes that failed.

Touchscreens before the first iPhone were really bad, with or without a stylus. The iPhone finally executed the touchscreen concept really well.

The same applies to VR. So far, the execution has been poor, but it can potentially change with HTC/Steam's Vive, Oculus Rift, and Sony's Morpheus. Reception of Morpheus at GDC was very good, so there is reason to be optimistic about the technology. To assume VR will flop without presenting any sliver of evidence is extremely hasty.

rolltide101x said:
sergiodaly said:

3D did not catch up, so you're saying that it was waste of time, and this will be too. But how do we move forward if everything is dead on arrival? Trying something different and innovative is a bad thing now?

lol VR is in no way "innovative" it has been done for ages and it always dies out. VR does not have the potential to catch on with the mass market.

I don't give a damn if the concept is old as prostitution, what matters is that 99.9% of today's +100M of gamers, me included, never ever experienced something like this, so the experience will be innovative even if the concept is old and been tried before. I might try it and hate it, but if someone is trying to bring that new experience to people, who am i to say they shouldn't? It's their time and money... If they don't work on this, they will work on something else, might even be a worse thing. You got any brilliant idea they should try?

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sabvre42 said:
And this supports my decision to never buy an Xbox One, and to sell my 360.

Not sure if you're sarcastic, but going to are you seriously anyways. Why would you sell your 360?doesnr even make sense xD. And along the Xbox ones life cycle it will get vr. He's just saying it's not 100 percent a thing yet. Judging from what he said it's going to take less than 5 years for them to release it, most likely much less. 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:
And this supports my decision to never buy an Xbox One, and to sell my 360.

Well aren't you a impressionable young man?

Sounds like you made up your mind a long time ago and someone just saying what is actually fact, that VR isn't mainstream yet, influencing your decisions on what gaming console you play, is silly at best.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Boosted said:
Another nail in their console effort coffin, seems ms screw ups will continue under him. They will miss the boat on a massive gaming and entertainment shift, all due to him. For all his pr training and acting, he cant hide the typical ms arrogance. MS and vr will be as behind the times and irrelevant as sony and motion controls or nintendo and adult gaming.

Vr is the future, as tv did to radio it will do to siting in front of a boring large screen.

Putting all your eggs in one basket aren't we?, we don't know how well VR will take off and even then MS still has time to adjust and they are working on their AR technology, I don't see Nintendo advancing theirs or Sony making an effort on AR at all.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JEMC said:

I agree with him but even in a few years when the technology is finally there to make it happen, will the games be ready for it?

Sure, VR will be awesome for some games like FPS and racing games, but what about the other genres? How will it be to play a third person shooter, an adventure game, a RPG or a platformer with those headsets?

Third person games play very well. Surprisingly so.

FPS play very weirdly and are difficult to get right (movement on sticks vs head tracking; your body gets confused). I played a great proceduraly generated horror game called Monstrum and whilst the VR makes it highly immersive, the basic movement is still controlled on analog sticks which makes it very disorientating.

As for the other genres it really does depend on how well they adapt to VR and the way they implement perspective.

The best games I've played on VR are all ones where you're in a cockpit and controlling a vehicle. Flight based games are going to see a revival with this tech imo.

JRPGfan said:
shikamaru317 said:
Lafiel said:
Vasto said:
If VR does become popular it will be Oculas Rift because PC actually has the power to make the games. PS4 and Xbox One can forget about it. Cant even get 1080 / 60 FPS but its going to do VR?

the consoles won't be able to offer Witcher 3 graphics in VR, that is correct, but apparently abstract/simplified graphics can work very very well in VR and can offer an extremely compelling experience

Here's the way I see it. We've got console gamers moaning right now when a game hits their console that isn't 1080p (Battlefield Hardline for instance). If those people are that concerned about the gap between 900p and 1080p, what do you think they're going to think of VR when they realize that a 1080p screen a few inches from their face has less like half the PPD (apparent resolution) of what they're used to seeing on their TV? Will the coolness and newness of VR really be enough to get them over their resolution hang-ups?

Eventually VR will be great enough to be mainstream, we'll have powerful enough hardware in both consoles and PC's to output games at 4k resolution, and the price of 4K screens will be low enough to put them into VR headsets, VR will have been out for awhile so the library of supported games will be much larger. That is a future we're moving towards, no doubt about it. But is it really worth it for MS to take a risk by trying to be one of the first few hardware companies to release a VR headset, just to create a product that only appeals to a niche audience at this time?

Watch this:

This guy usually rants and raves.

Now hes giggleing and going "wow" every other secound.

And this is not really even that impressive a demo for VR.

It's always like this. I haven't heard one person say VR is bad it's been nothing but people being impressed. The only people I've seen downplaying it are the people who haven't even used it.

I agree with him. We don't know if it is viable yet and it might take a while before we see that.