By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

StarOcean said:
With Fire Emblem and SMT x FE I've noticed an ever growing anti-eastern art from Nintendo fans. Not just here but other websites as well. Either it's super ironic people complain about a Japanese company being Japanese or just shows the FE community needs to grow up because they're a super intolerant bunch XD

Pokemon used to be heavily Akira Toriyama-esque but has evolved into a anime-westernish hybrid artstyle wise but you don't see me crying about it. Games and their style change over time, its an inevitability.

Yeah the early episodes of Pokemon use to remind me of DBZ. 

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
ToraTiger said:

No one is complaing about the art just being japanesey, it's more of how big of a departure it was from the previous characters and designs from the older games.  This game is so filled with typical anime cliches and character archetypes with out any deph I was literally moaning at every conversation and support and story scene as I could tell exactly how the characters would act just based on their appearence..  That is seriously how unoriginal it was.

Also I know you are going to defend it based on your avatar and signature, I mean you no harm or offense by that, but read my statement, I'm not saying modern chiki anime is bad, It's just a horrible fit for Fire Emblem. 

I'm an anime fan myself, and I know that the transaction between the more traditional art and story to the new one was  not a good one.

I wouldn't know the cliches, I don't watch enough anime to really catch that much XD 

Contrary to what most may think, I don't actually like anime as much as it looks. Clannad and Toradora are among the few anime I really like. A great majority don't interest me at all XD I'm not offended by the not liking of the style, some just don't like it and that's 100% fine, but my main complaint -not really directed at you as it towards the Nintendo community- is the anti-anime sort of mentality I've seen lately. 

And as for it not fitting FE, that may be the case, but the sales of Awakening are working against the more traditional FE that existed in the past no matter how fitting or unfitting it may be. 

Well said.  But I don't think Nintendo fans are caring about animeish games, as they seem to love Golden Sun and games like that.  But I think it becomes a problem when they start japanesifing their older existing games (due to their western market shrinking and marketing primiarly to japan) Games like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Fire Emblem are a few examples that they really didnt need to japanesify.  I loved the comic eques style of metroid, it was so fitting and original, now since Other M it turned into a poor japanese shooter alternative.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
justiceiro said:

After seeing how Japanese'y and chiki chiki SMT x FE is I am now certain I am done with this franchise. The way nintendo just cok slaps its fans by changing everything on some series to appeal to a certain audience is annoying as fuk for the hardcore fans we appriciated their games since day one.

Fire emblem:awakening is the only franchise that sold more this generation than last. In fact, the franchise was in the verge of been scrapped entirily. This so called hardcore fan base did nothing for the serie it seems, so why should nintendo bother?

So its the fans fault they made a game with a niche fan base?  So fans have no right to be upset at the new harem anime direction that literally no one wants except anime fans?  Also I dont think it was entirely the new direction that made FE sell well, it was more the enviourment of the 3DS, the reviews it got, and the advertisting it had in Japan.  

It's very presumptuous of you to say that literally all FE fans hate the new style.

Delicious, delicious games.

ToraTiger said:
StarOcean said:

I wouldn't know the cliches, I don't watch enough anime to really catch that much XD 

Contrary to what most may think, I don't actually like anime as much as it looks. Clannad and Toradora are among the few anime I really like. A great majority don't interest me at all XD I'm not offended by the not liking of the style, some just don't like it and that's 100% fine, but my main complaint -not really directed at you as it towards the Nintendo community- is the anti-anime sort of mentality I've seen lately. 

And as for it not fitting FE, that may be the case, but the sales of Awakening are working against the more traditional FE that existed in the past no matter how fitting or unfitting it may be. 

Well said.  But I don't think Nintendo fans are caring about animeish games, as they seem to love Golden Sun and games like that.  But I think it becomes a problem when they start japanesifing their older existing games (due to their western market shrinking and marketing primiarly to japan) Games like Kid Icarus, Metroid, Fire Emblem are a few examples that they really didnt need to japanesify.  I loved the comic eques style of metroid, it was so fitting and original, now since Other M it turned into a poor japanese shooter alternative.

Kid Icarus  had very little personality in the original games and KI:U gave it more of a saturday morning cartoon vibe than an anime vibe.

Metroid also had very little in the way of story, mostly getting by on atmosphere, and I wouldn't say that the changes made in Other M did much of anything to make it more japanese.

ToraTiger said:
StarOcean said:

That's true, but similar instances happen with western developers. I'm more familiar with western culture, because I live in it and do tend to see a lot heavily crutching with western stereotypes. It isn't a problem with Japan, its widespread and is a discussion for another thread. 

I don't feel like KI or Metroid have been heavily easternized, KI took a more anime sort of style to it but then again back in the NES/GB days it lacked a specific style to begin with, the character art being based off of the sprites vs the other way around. Metroid, no clue because Ive never really played same for FE. But I'm sure they've been more story/character impacted with Japanese qualities vs. style and its the qualities that bother you.

Around the Network
TheVoraciousFox said:
ToraTiger said:

So its the fans fault they made a game with a niche fan base?  So fans have no right to be upset at the new harem anime direction that literally no one wants except anime fans?  Also I dont think it was entirely the new direction that made FE sell well, it was more the enviourment of the 3DS, the reviews it got, and the advertisting it had in Japan.  

It's very presumptuous of you to say that literally all FE fans hate the new style.

I never said that every FE fan hates awakening.  Strong reading skills dude, I said no one except anime fans would really like awakening's setting, tone, art and characters .

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

sundin13 said:
ToraTiger said:

Kid Icarus  had very little personality in the original games and KI:U gave it more of a saturday morning cartoon vibe than an anime vibe.

Metroid also had very little in the way of story, mostly getting by on atmosphere, and I wouldn't say that the changes made in Other M did much of anything to make it more japanese.

It comes off as a cartoon due to the freedom of translation that NOA was given by Sakurai.  KI is still heavily anime inspired by the art direction, setting and tone.  Hell he uses a mech in a boss battle.

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

StarOcean said:
ToraTiger said:

That's true, but similar instances happen with western developers. I'm more familiar with western culture, because I live in it and do tend to see a lot heavily crutching with western stereotypes. It isn't a problem with Japan, its widespread and is a discussion for another thread. 

I don't feel like KI or Metroid have been heavily easternized, KI took a more anime sort of style to it but then again back in the NES/GB days it lacked a specific style to begin with, the character art being based off of the sprites vs the other way around. Metroid, no clue because Ive never really played same for FE. But I'm sure they've been more story/character impacted with Japanese qualities vs. style and its the qualities that bother you.

I'm not saying western games don't have stereotypes, but you saying it isn't a problem in Japan (If i am reading that right?) that is completely untrue.  Look at every japanese RPG released in the pass 20 years, nearly all of them have the exact same fantasy setting of a teenager or young adult saving the world from some kind of evil god.  That is literally the plot of 70 percent of popular JRPGs.  

And I don't see how KI doesnt come off as anime to you?  Look at Palutena she looks like something from an 90s anime, and same for Hades and Medusa.   We're yet to see after other M, but as of that game I can confirm its riddled with lame anime cliches and story tropes, as well as the art style.  

Honestly I dont care for anime style as long as they arent completely changing an older franchise into some strange weeaboo concuction. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
sundin13 said:

It comes off as a cartoon due to the freedom of translation that NOA was given by Sakurai.  KI is still heavily anime inspired by the art direction, setting and tone.  Hell he uses a mech in a boss battle.

I'm not sure how any of those things harm the quality of the game in any way and the injection of personality into the series really only made it better.

sundin13 said:
ToraTiger said:

I'm not sure how any of those things harm the quality of the game in any way and the injection of personality into the series really only made it better.

The point is they're taking their old works and completely changing the feel and tone, and just adding anime into it.  If its a new franchise that has an anime-ish setting and plot like Xenoblade X, that's fine but changing them and completely changing the feel to their older works is atrocious tbh.

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew