By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

The anime art-style is amazing, might even be the reason it quickly became the bestselling Fire Emblem game in the entire franchise, which isn't bad in any sense. Also, the story line was solid, kept elements from previous games, and added new features to the franchise so I don't really see the problem with the direction.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Xxain said:

Uh no. Terrible way to excuse a growing problem within the Japanese game industry.

If you say so. But i do believe there is a level of arrogance in westerners saying how Japanese should do the art on their games.

If you dont like it, skip the game? Its not like they are going to change because of western audiences. Just like the Tales of series... they are games aimed at japanese audiences. You are fighting a losing battle.

The Tales series is aimed solely at Japan and those Japanese are in the that "level" of anime. Hideo Baba also stated Tales games are never developed with intention to sell overseas. If it happens it happens

The basic point is that liking anime should NOT be a requirement in enjoying a Japanese game. Japanaese developers, specifically those that work on JRG's are putting JRPG's in this box and it doesn't need to be there. Grandia, Xenogears, Chrono trigger are just a few of JRPG's that use a more obvious anime direction, but gamers around the world have enjoyed them regardless if their anime fans or not. A series like Fire Emblem, or any other Global JRPG series (developed with intention of selling overseas) stay away this moe, waifu, whatever anime crap.

Im not even touch on how chosing this anime effects the actual game. Harder to sum up. 

Xxain said:

The Tales series is aimed solely at Japan and those Japanese are in the that "level" of anime. Hideo Baba also stated Tales games are never developed with intention to sell overseas. If it happens it happens

The basic point is that liking anime should NOT be a requirement in enjoying a Japanese game. Japanaese developers, specifically those that work on JRG's are putting JRPG's in this box and it doesn't need to be there. Grandia, Xenogears, Chrono trigger are just a few of JRPG's that use a more obvious anime direction, but gamers around the world have enjoyed them regardless if their anime fans or not. A series like Fire Emblem, or any other Global JRPG series (developed with intention of selling overseas) stay away this moe, waifu, whatever anime crap.

Im not even touch on how chosing this anime effects the actual game. Harder to sum up. 

Alright. I still think this is one of those things that is in the eye of the beholder. I dont see any waifu's on this game. Probably because i dont think of it that way.
I'm just super excited to play the game itself and experience the story and characters. If theres too many clichés i notice them. But i dont see that here. Maybe its just me.

With that said, i love those JRPG series you mentioned.

With Fire Emblem and SMT x FE I've noticed an ever growing anti-eastern art from Nintendo fans. Not just here but other websites as well. Either it's super ironic people complain about a Japanese company being Japanese or just shows the FE community needs to grow up because they're a super intolerant bunch XD

Pokemon used to be heavily Akira Toriyama-esque but has evolved into a anime-westernish hybrid artstyle wise but you don't see me crying about it. Games and their style change over time, its an inevitability.

StarOcean said:
With Fire Emblem and SMT x FE I've noticed an ever growing anti-eastern art from Nintendo fans. Not just here but other websites as well. Either it's super ironic people complain about a Japanese company being Japanese or just shows the FE community needs to grow up because they're a super intolerant bunch XD

Pokemon used to be heavily Akira Toriyama-esque but has evolved into a anime-westernish hybrid artstyle wise but you don't see me crying about it. Games and their style change over time, its an inevitability.

Read my above post. 

Around the Network
Xxain said:
StarOcean said:

Read my above post. 

A game doesn't need to change for western taste. It sold well, better than any in the series, regardless of how the irrelevant hardcore FE audience thinks. They see what works and among other things they'll pay attention to is the art direction and encourage it and have, as apparent in the latest in the series. Expect to see more of it if you continue to play the latest itterations in the series. 

StarOcean said:

No one is complaing about the art just being japanesey, it's more of how big of a departure it was from the previous characters and designs from the older games.  This game is so filled with typical anime cliches and character archetypes with out any deph I was literally moaning at every conversation and support and story scene as I could tell exactly how the characters would act just based on their appearence..  That is seriously how unoriginal it was.

Also I know you are going to defend it based on your avatar and signature, I mean you no harm or offense by that, but read my statement, I'm not saying modern chiki anime is bad, It's just a horrible fit for Fire Emblem. 

I'm an anime fan myself, and I know that the transaction between the more traditional art and story to the new one was  not a good one.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

TheLegendaryWolf said:
The anime art-style is amazing, might even be the reason it quickly became the bestselling Fire Emblem game in the entire franchise, which isn't bad in any sense. Also, the story line was solid, kept elements from previous games, and added new features to the franchise so I don't really see the problem with the direction.

Might sold well because...

1.) 3DS meager line up

2.) The features that make it more appealing to casuals (no permadeath if you wish it)

3.) The advertising

4.) Metacritic Reviews. 

5. ect, ect

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Einsam_Delphin said:
Why is anime style bad? It's fine if you don't like it, but you're making it out to be objectively wrong. Also cliches, stereotypes, tropes, etc. aren't restricted to any one medium. As for the game itself, sure it's probably not the best FE, but it's atleast solid and not blatantly bad enough to make one give up on the series, and even if it was, that doesn't mean future installments will be just as bad. The latest two Paper Marios weren't what I was hoping for either but I'll still consider myself a fan of the series.

You're wrong on all points.  The characters in Awakening are objectively some of the most one dimesional cookie cutter anime cliche characters in the whole series, period.   The gameplay was fine other than how they limited the, access move space after horse riders turns, and the hit and miss dualstrike which leaves you in the dark most of the time on whether it will work. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
StarOcean said:

No one is complaing about the art just being japanesey, it's more of how big of a departure it was from the previous characters and designs from the older games.  This game is so filled with typical anime cliches and character archetypes with out any deph I was literally moaning at every conversation and support and story scene as I could tell exactly how the characters would act just based on their appearence..  That is seriously how unoriginal it was.

Also I know you are going to defend it based on your avatar and signature, I mean you no harm or offense by that, but read my statement, I'm not saying modern chiki anime is bad, It's just a horrible fit for Fire Emblem. 

I'm an anime fan myself, and I know that the transaction between the more traditional art and story to the new one was  not a good one.

I wouldn't know the cliches, I don't watch enough anime to really catch that much XD 

Contrary to what most may think, I don't actually like anime as much as it looks. Clannad and Toradora are among the few anime I really like. A great majority don't interest me at all XD I'm not offended by the not liking of the style, some just don't like it and that's 100% fine, but my main complaint -not really directed at you as it towards the Nintendo community- is the anti-anime sort of mentality I've seen lately. 

And as for it not fitting FE, that may be the case, but the sales of Awakening are working against the more traditional FE that existed in the past no matter how fitting or unfitting it may be.