By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo will be relevent next gen?

Nintendo is at its best when they stand with their backs against the Wall. So I fully expect them to once again shut up a lot of haters.

On the other hand it depends If they will be relevant. Relevant to what? Sony and Microsoft? Don't think so. Relevant to the gaming market? Yes, definitely.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
kinisking said:
Ruler said:

Well who introduced dlc on consoles? it was EA, star wars battlefront, on original Xbox

It was EA, not ms.? It would have been introduced whether or not the original xbox existed anyways. the only reason why it was on original xbox was because it was the most internet ready console at the time. ps3 would have had it regardless.

Not true, playstation 2 hasnt offered a store at all, i think it even hasnt allowed patches. MS had some kind of store, arcade games came even out for the first xbox

Unless they change their attitude; they wont be relevant in home console arena.

Ruler said:
kinisking said:

It was EA, not ms.? It would have been introduced whether or not the original xbox existed anyways. the only reason why it was on original xbox was because it was the most internet ready console at the time. ps3 would have had it regardless.

Not true, playstation 2 hasnt offered a store at all, i think it even hasnt allowed patches. MS had some kind of store, arcade games came even out for the first xbox

what does ps2 have to do with anything. i said ps3! xD. you literally proved my entire point though. i said xbox was the most internet ready at the time, then you tell me about how it had a store. which proves my point. Becuase the xbox was so innovative when it came to this kind of stuff, and ps2 wasnt up to par (online wise, i still  think ps2 was the better console) EA's only option was xbox. ps3 would have had a store whether or not xbox existed, and then they would also have had dlc.

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Nintendos problem is that they seem to be half way between the console generations. So they release a console to the world when 2 other consoles are still in their prime and no one buys it. Doesn't help either that it was barely any more powerful than the old systems either.

Lets say they release a new one in 2017 or so, and it turns out to not offer anything more power wise than the PS4 or Xbox, then what? Who is going to shell out the money for a new console, with no games, no more power than the consoles which are already out, probably cheaper at that point as well with bucket loads of games.

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Around the Network

Doubt it.

the gamepad is not a problem for 3rd parties,
it is a problem for the wii U price. and it is a great problem.

Yes I think they will and should be if they just spend a bit more. Its really quite simple. Make the Gamecube/N64 again, this time launch it ahead of the competition not after, image/marketing wise look more towards the N64 for inspiration.

The industry is completely different now then it was back in 2000, the gamecube (and Xbox) underperformed because developers gave PS2 the crown before it was even out. Its 2015, no one hands out exclusives like candy. Back then each system was hugely different, multiplatforms games were reserved for movie/licensed tie ins and picking a platform and delivering to it soley was the norm.

-Arrive early but not too early (2017/18)
-Use the new industry standard x86
-Have next gen specs (At least 4x PS4)
-Have third party games using those next gen specs at launch to offer superior games over (X1, PS4). This will easily entice the core market if Nintendo is hitting 1080p, 60fps and superior graphics settings whilst PS4 versions are running piss poor or with big graphical sacrifices.
-Hit a safe price point but don't be afraid to hit 399
-Have a strong showing of their own software to get the Nintendo fans on board early (Metroid+Mario 3D+New IP) and secure strong launch sales to impress third parties.

Thrres literally no gameble in this. No crazy loss at launch, no gimmick to try and sell. Just a solid system for all types of games.

Pavolink said:
160rmf said:

This will never work for nintendo... only for nintendo

?

Care to explain?

Look at Fifa, EA are having any trouble with cheap uninspired games and overpriced DLCs

We reap what we sow

Yes, Nintendo is on track to sell about 80 million units of hardware this generation with titles like Pokemon, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart all selling over 10 million each. This is all while making some very large mistakes with 3DS/Wii U.

With a more focused and effective strategy, there is no reason why Nintendo can't maintain or increase their sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.