By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo will be relevent next gen?

Nintendo is and will be relevant. But I don't agree with the general opinion. Nintendo must focus on doing their own thing. I don't see how focus on bringing back third party support would help Nintendo next console sales. Nowadays, they can't compete with Sony or Microsoft on their own market. It's too late for that.

Cheap hardware, high-quality Nintendo games, lending their IPs to other developers in order to bring new gaming experiences (Hyrule Warriors, SMTxFE...), more marketing, another innovative concept like the WiiMote, new innovative IPs and puntual agreements with other developers in some exclusives. I think that's the recipe to Nintendo sucess. But, obviously, I'm not an analist so I might be flagrantly wrong... :(

PS. Obviously, if Nintendo can bring a lot of third party support is not a bad thing per se. But, it must not be their main focus, that's what I'm trying to say.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
tak13 said:

I will not say as I'm not sure about my 3DS expectations!But I'm seeing 100m  total at least!Zorg this is lowballing not realism,you will remember me sometime!85m in your mind means 17-18m(When the most pessimistic but accurate analystS expect 20m,there is a problem with your prediction zorg) :P wii u and 68-67m 3DS...Wii u hasn't gotten a price cut yet,so wait for that to judge!

At least you should expect 3DS to be higher...

At worst 3DS will have sold 60m+ by the end of the year,a fact that makes 67m prediction as lifetime sales absurd...

Gamecube+Gameboy Advance sold about 103 million total.

Wii U is tracking something like 4 million behind Gamecube and 3DS about 15 million behind GBA in the same time frame, so yes 85 million combined is a realistic prediction based on sales trends.

Nintendo has shown that they won't just throw price cuts at Wii U hoping for a miracle, they lost money 3 years in a row and are just focused on profitability over market share, we will never see Wii U get down to the $99 price range that GC was in. A price cut to $249.99 in September to go alongside Mario Maker seems possible along with a further cut to $199.99 in Spring 2017, about 6 months before it's successor releases but that's probably as low as it will go officially (remember 360/PS3 are about 9 years old and still in the $200 range). These things won't make Wii U sales skyrocket, they will just help reduce YoY decline and give momentary boosts.

Why you are telling me that...Of course we won't!For wii u 199$ is what for gamecube was 99$...

Don't be so certain and stop comparing the inflated from the two big consecutive price cuts of the two first years,gamecube sales!Don't you see that this is unfair?Also the comparisons don't help,doing them means that ps4 will kill ps2 and xboxone will kill xbox360 while the first are just selling fast!As for gameboy are you sure about that?Well japan counterbalances somehow the defecit I think,anyway for 3DS I won't say anything,I'm optimistic and I will wait for New 3ds perfomance through out the year to  decide...As you have seen my predictions for new3ds have been good so far!:P

Anyway,if you consider that I exaggerate...Don't judge me,you do the same with xbone's 60m...Good luck with USA and UK only...

Off-topic:I must stop posting when I'm drowsy,I make so many typos!lol :P

Hiku said:

Companies don't have to be certain before making decisions though. If they suspect it's not going to go well, they can chose to wait and observe. The first game I mentioned, Metal Gear Solid V, was announced and showcased as far back as in August 2012. Yet not at one single point in time since then was a WiiU port ever mentioned. This too was before any "clear" sign of WiiU's future sales appeared, as it was before WiiU even came out. And this is no doubt because Konami never thought the port would be worth making for the WiiU.

"Third parties wanted Nintendo to pay for ports"
And that is only a testament to the developers low expectations of the sales their games would generate on the system. Which is no ones fault but Nintendo's. It's their responsibility to make the console appealing to a wide enough crowd to make third party devs not feel afraid to invest in it. And Nintendo didn't do that. Because even before the console launched, there was a very big concern for the future. Specifically, that when the era of cross gen games started to come to an end, there would be no reason for third parties to make games for the WiiU because of the power and architrectural difference between it and the other 8th gen consoles, unless it's sales were very high.
Nintendo chose to bet on the expensive Gamepad instead, which apparently only garnered to a much smaller audience than they hoped for.

It's not about entitlement. It's simply about being profitable. If they thought the port would be worthwhile, they would make it. It's not like they have anything against making money. They're not asking Sony for money up front, because they know they have a good chance of being profitable on their system.

Because when we get down to the core of why third parties left WiiU, there's really only one single reason. That they don't believe the game will be profitable.
And even if the game happens to generate a bit more revenue than the cost of the port, does that automatically mean that it was worth it? No it doesn't. Because if that profit is only marginable, a company could have spent that time and those resources to work on a much more worthwhile project that could have given them more revenue.

If we look at Call of Duty: Ghosts that you mentioned earlier, according to VGC numbers (let's assume they're accurate) the Wii U version sold 0.25m on the WiiU, and 9.58m on X360. That's around 38 times worse on the WiiU. Now besides the difference in sales compared to the install base difference of the systems, the question is if those 0.25m sales were even worth it for Activision. It appears it wasn't, because they didn't release the next games on the system.
Watch Dogs is another example. According to VGC it only sold 0.07m. That's abysmal if even remotely true.
It's not like these companies have anything against making money. They just weren't doing that on WiiU. Some of them gave it a shot, and failed. Some chose to wait and observe first, because there were obvious bad signs from the beginning.

As for Indie developers, they generally develop more simple games that don't require as much coding or personel, and don't have many other more lucrative projects they could spend those already small resources on. Every game they make that are successful are often good opportunities for them to spread as wide as they can, because you never know if your next game will be popular as well. So porting those simpler and cheaper games make more sense. Unlike popular franchises like Call of Duty for example. Those guys always know that their next game will sell well. At least as things stand today. So they have more lucrative things to use their resources for than WiiU ports that don't don't end up selling as well as they want them to.

It sold that much because they delayed it 6 months, did not advertise it at all, and gave no-one any reason to buy it.

How in the hell can any of the blame be placed on Nintendo for Watch Dogs' sales?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Machina said:

Nintendo's always relevant, even when its platform has poor market share.

If the question is - can Nintendo win next gen? Unlikely but not impossible.

Oh I love you!:P

You put it very well!

Mobile will tell...Let's not forget that nintendo does it mainly in order to advertise its games of their hardware!However for nintendo to take sony in home consoles is as much as hard for sony to take nintendo in handhelds!I think nintendo only can win if it pulls a wii!:P

Volterra_90 said:
PS. Obviously, if Nintendo can bring a lot of third party support is not a bad thing per se. But, it must not be their main focus, that's what I'm trying to say.

When they designed the PS4, they went around with questionary's, and asked developers of secound/third party, what they wanted in a consol ect.

They designed the PS4 to be easy to develope for, and its winning them the consol wars.

Nintendo exlusives + 3rd party games = pretty appealing consol, IMO.

Around the Network
marley said:
alternine said:
spemanig said:
If Nintendo can still be relevant with the Wii U, and they are, they can be relevant through anything.

You cant compare gaming internet forums to real life. Outside of forums Nintendo really isnt really that relevant.

Outside of forums gaming isn't really that relevant.  Let's pretend every single console sold last generation was to a unique person - that's what, <.04% of the human population?

Lol! Your math is a little off. If by .04% you mean 4%, then you would be correct. That's a pretty large percentage I would say.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Mr Khan said:

Right: Nintendo should do their own thing and just not give a damn about what the third parties will do. This can be achieved if the device is profitable and unified architecture to allow Nintendo to make mostly the same games across console and handheld. If it's cheap, accessible, and loaded down with good Nintendo games, it will sell and the third parties will at least have to throw it a bone or two.

Yep, I agree. Nintendo will have sold 80+ million units of hardware and 400+ million units of software this generation while releasing the most expensive handheld/console they ever have and people confusing them for a DS revision/Wii accessory. With more affordable price and better marketing they could have sold on par with Nintendo's pre-DS/Wii baseline which was about 100 million units of hardware and 500 million units of software per generation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Look at Rockstar used carnival games to save themselves and used that money to finish of GTA4. They were on the brink of bankrupcy due to how much they spent on GTA4 kind of like a lot of great devs that backed the PS3 early on and spent HUGE money thinkign the PS3 would ell like the PS2. RIP Free Radicals and Factor 5 to name a couple great devs.

You got any actual information to back that up?

Because from what I can see Carnival Games had nothing at all to do with Rockstar. It was published by 2K (owned by Take Two just like Rockstar) however they didn't finalise the purchase of the company that originally published it until 2 weeks after the games North American release. So as far as I can tell they had nothing to do with the development of the game or even the publishing of the game until after it had already released.

Oh and while Take Two's financials do show a loss for the years ending 2006 & 2007 it isn't such a huge loss that they were on the brink of bankruptcy. The year they made profit again was 2008, surprisingly enough the year that GTA4 released. Oh and also in 2008 they were the subject of a buyout offer from EA. This sounds like it started in April before the release of GTA4, so if they were really a company on the brink of bankruptcy why did they reject that buyout offer? Maybe because they weren't on the brink of bankruptcy?

Sources:
http://www.mobygames.com/company/global-star-software-inc
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MzYyNzU5fENoaWxkSUQ9MzU2NjA4fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

No I dont have a source I read it around E3 time. It was like 7 years ago it was at the time where Rockstar spent millions on GTAIV and Take Two were deciding if they should extend the contract with them. One of the main take two guys at the time said they used the carnival games profits to finish of GTAIV which basically bailed Rockstar out (i.e. they were on the brink of folding not Take Two) and signed a new extended contract to work with Take Two. Now I am sure that if Take Two stopped funding GTAIV someone like EA would have picked it up as a publisher.

Then GTAIV released and the money started to flood in for take two.

Mr Khan said:

It sold that much because they delayed it 6 months, did not advertise it at all, and gave no-one any reason to buy it.

How in the hell can any of the blame be placed on Nintendo for Watch Dogs' sales?

TBH I think the biggest issue was Ubisoft saying they dropping support of Wii U before it come out. That was a nail in the coffin for the game hitting 100K lol.

ohmylanta1003 said:
marley said:
alternine said:

You cant compare gaming internet forums to real life. Outside of forums Nintendo really isnt really that relevant.

Outside of forums gaming isn't really that relevant.  Let's pretend every single console sold last generation was to a unique person - that's what, <.04% of the human population?

Lol! Your math is a little off. If by .04% you mean 4%, then you would be correct. That's a pretty large percentage I would say.

You are correct, but it's actually less than 4% (and that's assuming every sale is a unique customer).  

I guess we have different opinions of what 'a pretty large percentage' is.