By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Retro Studios is Working on a Secret Wii U Game With a New Engine

Tagged games:

Samus Aran said:

You do realize that claiming Super Metroid as the best Metroid is just an opinion right?

All 3 Prime games are great. They're no spin-offs, they're an evolution of the franchise. Just like 3D Mario games aren't a spin-off.

I don't see what makes Super Metroid so good. Zero Mission and Fusion were far better in my opinion. 

I agree on everything.

Around the Network

Um, if he said that Nintendo have the Retro devs on a tight leash, how would he know it's a new engine? Are we supposed to believe that he asked some dev what he's working on and he was like, "well, I can't tell you, but it's a Wii U game with a new engine." Not sure I buy that....

Samus Aran said:

I'm not begging for Metroid in every single thread like Star Fox and F-Zero fans. I suggested 4 game ideas and all you focus on is Metroid? Lol.

Most annoying fans ever.

F-Zero is a racing game about speed, you'll have that now in MK8. No need to waste Nintendo's resources on a game that won't even break even.

I used Metroid because it's the most relevant example. People like Star Fox and F-Zero just like people like Metroid. More people ask for Metroid than they do for Star Fox and F-Zerp combined. And, surprise, Metroid isn't a lucrative franchise either. Star Fox is bigger. If anything, people asking for Metroid, which includes you, are the "most annoying fans ever." You have no authority over who can ask for what. People can ask for 100 different racing games if they want.

Metroid is an exploration game. Next year, you'll have Zelda. No need to waste resources on a game that, news flash, wouldn't break even either.

SJReiter said:
Um, if he said that Nintendo have the Retro devs on a tight leash, how would he know it's a new engine? Are we supposed to believe that he asked some dev what he's working on and he was like, "well, I can't tell you, but it's a Wii U game with a new engine." Not sure I buy that....

It's their job to uncover things like that and they have a good track record.

Samus Aran said:
fory77 said:
I'm calling it now- F-Zero...

I really hate it when people beg Retro for F-Zero or Star Fox.

You got an F-Zero track in MK8 and they announced 200CC for it as well.

Is F-Zero and Star Fox all you people think about?

I'm hoping a new IP, Metroid or 3D DK platformer. An action RPG of Fire Emblem would be sweet.

But please don't put a team that is well known for exploration based games (yes even DKC: TF) on a racer that will sell 500k copies at best.

No offense but your comment sounds very selfish, we got 2 metroid HC games a trilogy and 1 HH game last gen. Star fox got 1 HH and 1 Port. F Zero nothing at all last gen

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm not begging for Metroid in every single thread like Star Fox and F-Zero fans. I suggested 4 game ideas and all you focus on is Metroid? Lol.

Most annoying fans ever.

F-Zero is a racing game about speed, you'll have that now in MK8. No need to waste Nintendo's resources on a game that won't even break even.

I used Metroid because it's the most relevant example. People like Star Fox and F-Zero just like people like Metroid. More people ask for Metroid than they do for Star Fox and F-Zerp combined. And, surprise, Metroid isn't a lucrative franchise either. Star Fox is bigger. If anything, people asking for Metroid, which includes you, are the "most annoying fans ever." You have no authority over who can ask for what. People can ask for 100 different racing games if they want.

Metroid is an exploration game. Next year, you'll have Zelda. No need to waste resources on a game that, news flash, wouldn't break even either.

Lol, if Star Fox is so big than why did the last 3 games sell like shit?

There's not much exploration in recent Zelda games (except ALBW), so what does that have to do with anything?

A Metroid game would easily break even. I find it funny people pretend it would be so expensive to make a 2D Metroid game for the 3DS lol. You think it costs $34.000.000 to make a Metroid game lol?

MohammadBadir said:

They're better at making Donkey Kong than Metroid? Are you serious?

The Prime series is regarded as some of the best games ever made, and I'm not sure I get what you're saying with the spin-off thing. Do you think Metroid 2 feels like a spin-off of Metroid? Super Metroid a spin-off of Metroid 2? etc.

Metroid defined itself as a series about exploration, that's something the Prime series did amazingly well (besides for 3, which was more linear than the others, but hey, It was as good as Fusion).

Also, Retro worked on Metroid, yet the demand for a 2D Metroid hasn't really gone down, so I don't see why you'd say the last bit.

I don't care how they're reguarded. When I call it a spin off, I mean changing the core aspect of Metroid, which is hardcore platforming through a linear, ambiguous, and interwoven series of virtical levels, was changed in Prime for a new spin on the Metroid franchise, which is little platforming, exploration, and literary world building in the first person. That's a spin off. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not main series Metroid. Prime 2 feels like a spin off of Prime, and Prime 3 feels like a spin off of both.

Retro hasn't made a Metroid better than Super. Not even close. Not even Prime 1. Even so, I was referring to a Metroid game in the 3rd demention. When someone makes a better Metroid in 3D than Prime, no one will care about Retro making another Prime. Retro is the only studio to have ever made a good 3D Metroid, so there's nothing to compare it to.

tbone51 said:
Samus Aran said:

I really hate it when people beg Retro for F-Zero or Star Fox.

You got an F-Zero track in MK8 and they announced 200CC for it as well.

Is F-Zero and Star Fox all you people think about?

I'm hoping a new IP, Metroid or 3D DK platformer. An action RPG of Fire Emblem would be sweet.

But please don't put a team that is well known for exploration based games (yes even DKC: TF) on a racer that will sell 500k copies at best.

No offense but your comment sounds very selfish, we got 2 metroid HC games a trilogy and 1 HH game last gen. Star fox got 1 HH and 1 Port. F Zero nothing at all last gen

It's not selfish, F-Zero got its chance and blew it. There's a reason why no more games are being made for it.

Why are you counting the Metroid Prime Trilogy and ignoring the fact that Star Fox got 2 GC games? A DS game? A Wii U game (that is obviously being made by a Japanese studio)? A 3DS remake?

That's 5 games since the GC era. Hardly a forgotten franchise. That's only 2 less than Metroid (and I rather ignore the fact that Other M and Hunters exist).

spemanig said:
MohammadBadir said:

They're better at making Donkey Kong than Metroid? Are you serious?

The Prime series is regarded as some of the best games ever made, and I'm not sure I get what you're saying with the spin-off thing. Do you think Metroid 2 feels like a spin-off of Metroid? Super Metroid a spin-off of Metroid 2? etc.

Metroid defined itself as a series about exploration, that's something the Prime series did amazingly well (besides for 3, which was more linear than the others, but hey, It was as good as Fusion).

Also, Retro worked on Metroid, yet the demand for a 2D Metroid hasn't really gone down, so I don't see why you'd say the last bit.

I don't care how they're reguarded. When I call it a spin off, I mean changing the core aspect of Metroid, which is hardcore platforming through a linear, ambiguous, and interwoven series of virtical levels, was changed in Prime for a new spin on the Metroid franchise, which is little platforming, exploration, and literary world building in the first person. That's a spin off. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's not main series Metroid. Prime 2 feels like a spin off of Prime, and Prime 3 feels like a spin off of both.

Retro hasn't made a Metroid better than Super. Not even close. Not even Prime 1. Even so, I was referring to a Metroid game in the 3rd demention. When someone makes a better Metroid in 3D than Prime, no one will care about Retro making another Prime. Retro is the only studio to have ever made a good 3D Metroid, so there's nothing to compare it to.

How do you define that?

Also, it's obviously a sub-series, I've never really argued against that.

Samus Aran said:

You do realize that claiming Super Metroid as the best Metroid is just an opinion right?

Literally can't take the rest of what you say seriously if you'd seriously think I'm stupid enough to think you'd seriously have to clarify that with me. I respect your intelligence enough to not be redundant and dress my opinions in prefixes to they're easier to understand. I assume that you understand the difference between fact and opinion and are smart enough to destinquish between the two using clues of context, instead of requiring me to literally spell out "in my opinion" and "as a matter of fact." Respect mine enough to understand that I went to elementary school and learned what the word opinion mean and how to use them.

Obviously I know it's an opinion.