By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report: Retro Studios is Working on a Secret Wii U Game With a New Engine

Tagged games:

Also, why the fuck doesn't Retro Studios have two, full-sized teams yet?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

Why should Metroid go to someone else? These guys have proven that they can make (arguably( the best Metroid games.

Because they've never proven they could make more than one great Metroid game, and even with that, 3D Metroid needs a different take that if more faithful. Retro isn't doing that, and they've never been able to.

And I'd argue that none of them are close enough to the best Metroid game, Super Metroid, to warrent another one being made by them again. Their first was amazing, but felt like a spin off. The second one was great, but felt like a spin off of a spin off. The third one was good, but felt like a spin off of a spin off of a spin off. I don't want them trying a fourth time, especially when they are better at making Donkey Kong games. I don't want another spin-offtroid. I want a real 3D Metroid with real, complex 3D platforming and retro-futuristic tech and cheezy but atmospheric 80's horror music, and an alien planet that actually feels like an organism again. Retro can't make that so Retro should make something they'd be good at making. Like 3D Donkey Kong.

Once someone other than Retro makes a Metroid better than Prime, no one will care about Retro making a "Prime 4" any more.

ExplodingBlock said:
RolStoppable said:
Please God, no. Don't let their talent be wasted on a Wii U game.

Why? Wii U is a great console, and their last game on it sold over a million copies

Wii U is my new fav console

Yes! Oh lord yes!

spemanig said:
Samus Aran said:

I really hate it when people beg Retro for F-Zero or Star Fox.

You got an F-Zero track in MK8 and they announced 200CC for it as well.

Is F-Zero and Star Fox all you people think about?

I'm hoping a new IP, Metroid or 3D DK platformer. An action RPG of Fire Emblem would be sweet.

But please don't put a team that is well known for exploration based games (yes even DKC: TF) on a racer that will sell 500k copies at best.

"Metroid already has a minigame in Nintendo Land and they just released Metroid Prime Trilogy for the VC. Is Metroid all you think about?"

That's literally what you sound like.

I'm not begging for Metroid in every single thread like Star Fox and F-Zero fans. I suggested 4 game ideas and all you focus on is Metroid? Lol.

Most annoying fans ever.

F-Zero is a racing game about speed, you'll have that now in MK8. No need to waste Nintendo's resources on a game that won't even break even.

Around the Network

i won't lie a part of me wants it to be a new Donkey Kong so that way i can see the meltdowns.

spemanig said:
MohammadBadir said:

Why should Metroid go to someone else? These guys have proven that they can make (arguably( the best Metroid games.

Because they've never proven they could make more than one great Metroid game, and even with that, 3D Metroid needs a different take that if more faithful. Retro isn't doing that, and they've never been able to.

And I'd argue that none of them are close enough to the best Metroid game, Super Metroid, to warrent another one being made by them again. Their first was amazing, but felt like a spin off. The second one was great, but felt like a spin off of a spin off. The third one was good, but felt like a spin off of a spin off of a spin off. I don't want them trying a fourth time, especially when they are better at making Donkey Kong games. I don't want another spin-offtroid. I want a real 3D Metroid with real, complex 3D platforming and retro-futuristic tech and cheezy but atmospheric 80's horror music, and an alien planet that actually feels like an organism again. Retro can't make that so Retro should make something they'd be good at making. Like 3D Donkey Kong.

Once someone other than Retro makes a Metroid better than Prime, no one will care about Retro making a "Prime 4" any more.

They're better at making Donkey Kong than Metroid? Are you serious?

The Prime series is regarded as some of the best games ever made, and I'm not sure I get what you're saying with the spin-off thing. Do you think Metroid 2 feels like a spin-off of Metroid? Super Metroid a spin-off of Metroid 2? etc.

Metroid defined itself as a series about exploration, that's something the Prime series did amazingly well (besides for 3, which was more linear than the others, but hey, It was as good as Fusion).

Also, Retro worked on Metroid, yet the demand for a 2D Metroid hasn't really gone down, so I don't see why you'd say the last bit.

If it is a DK game I want it to be 3D. I'm personally DKC'd out after playing Donkey Kong Country: Returns and I haven't even touched Tropical Freeze.

Metrokong! Make Metrokong!

spemanig said:
MohammadBadir said:

You do realize that claiming Super Metroid as the best Metroid is just an opinion right? It sold like shit on a hardcore userbase like the SNES. Metroid Prime sold twice as much on a much smaller userbase.

All 3 Prime games are great. They're no spin-offs, they're an evolution of the franchise. Just like 3D Mario games aren't a spin-off.

I don't see what makes Super Metroid so good. Zero Mission and Fusion were far better in my opinion.