By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The ULTIMATE sales comparison chart

auroragb - No "Others" numbers in the chart quite yet.

Around the Network

Ah, so that's what ioi meant by only the Japan/Americas numbers

auroragb said:

ioi said:
Ok, a couple of things:

4) The server isn't particularly unstable, rather it gets a huge amount of traffic. Generating one of those charts takes up a lot of computational time, same with calculating totals and so on since it is all done dynamically on the fly. I have been trying to speed up our queries and do things to take load off the server a little, so things should be more stable now than they were but if you are having specific problems please email me...

Can't you run a nightly job that generates the chart once a day or even once a week? There is only so many variants and the data doesn't change much during the week. This way it will reduce the server load.

Also, why is the 360 < 7million? shouldn't it be 9.7?

About 24,000 variations already aren't there?

20x20x20x3 - My maths isn't great in this area. 

I just came across this earlier today as I was poking around the site and have to commend you on how slick it is. Definitely a professional looking tool. Can't wait to have the European numbers added to get the 'full' worldwide effect. One suggestion on speeding things up - Can you cache or create links to common shared queries that would bypass the need for on the fly processing? Keep up the great work!

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

any projected day when the 'Other' figures will be included?

Around the Network
ioi said:
Exactly. The whole point of the graphs is that you can 3-way compare sales across different periods and so on. You'd have to take into account repeated combinations so your 20x20x20x3 isn't totally valid, but then weekly and launch-aligned charts means that there are probably a few thousand combinations !

Ah, sorry, I'm pretty ignorant on how flash works. I thought you can just have twenty files with the data and have the flash generate the graph on the client side...

One suggestion, make the launches aligned a drop down box where you can select the number of weeks to show. This way, you get a more meaningful graph when comparing the launch of the ps2 to ps3 or something

Another suggestion, have an option to do a calendar month alignment.  This way, it's easier to compare apples to apples because of the holiday season spikes   

Seems like some of the older systems like N64 and Saturn are missing the American numbers...

The chart is missing the US data for most of the older consoles (DC, PS1, Saturn, N64).  Are you planning to add that back in?  I want to see if the PS3 is selling worse that the DC at this point after launch.

Also, the old vcharts site gave you a nice table of the actual numbers along with the chart.  Any chance we could see that too? 

Is the chart ever going to have all the data for the five current consoles?

Ha, ha, ha... PS3 beats the Xbox 360 when you align launches. That's funny. Wow, Wii is really doing good.