By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Is Hurtin' In Japan, NX Really Needs To Be Out Sooner Than Later

Cobretti2 said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo can't support two distinct hardware platforms period any longer IMO. Those days are over and it was only kind of possible with the Wii-DS because they basically re-used the GameCube chip for a further 6 years and DS development was considerably smaller than 3DS development. 

Even then they really couldn't even support the Wii/DS in unison by generation's end. 

So this idea that they can support discreet PS4-level console + a PS3 level handheld ... is IMO a massive fantasy that's going to be a rude awakening for some when they actually see what NX is. But we'll see, that's just my take on it, people tend to lash out when you base a prediction on logic if the prediction is something they don't want to hear on an emotional level. 

Hiring additional studios I don't think is going to happen either. Studios are a huge cost/risk in the modern age, buying 2-3 studios isn't like how it used to be and Nintendo fiercly values their small company size, they feel it creates a certain culture, and honestly they might be right about that. Big, bloated companies tend to lose their identity. 

ok let me rephrase my statement to one line.

tell me what games will be ready to launch in 2016 with this hardware that will make millions of people rush in a mad rage to get one?

Just off the top of my head ...

Super Mario Galaxy 3 - The main EAD Tokyo wrapped on Mario 3D World in fall 2013, given that it takes them on average about 2 years to deliver a new 3D Mario, summer/fall 2016 should be more than overdue for a new 3D Mario, that will coming up on three years with just Captain Toad which was done by EAD Tokyo's smaller B team. 

Animal Crossing Next - IMO this skips the Wii U. Nintendo themselves admits the series works better on handheld and it sells much better on handheld. Could be a no brainer launch title for the NX fusion concept.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Next Level wrapped LM2 in March 2013 ... they haven't delivered Nintendo a game in quite some time (that's almost 2 years ago now). Whenever Nintendo sells 3+ million of any game, a sequel is almost always immediately greenlit ... remember when people though Nintendo would let the DKC series rest for Metroid Prime 4? Nope, Retro was put right back on another DKC, which is pretty much Nintendo's standard operating procedure.

Mario Kart 9 - Might be more of a reach for 2016 ... but not impossible. Nov/Dec 2016 launch would give them 2 1/2 years of development time, which is about the same gap of time between MK7 and MK8.  

Ignoring the elephant in the room which might also be the next Zelda launching for both NX and Wii U, like Twilight Princess did. I'm starting to suspect SMT x Fire Emblem might be going that route too. 

If anything a good chunk of Nintendo's dev teams have been oddly ... quiet or MIA for a while. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Cobretti2 said:

ok let me rephrase my statement to one line.

tell me what games will be ready to launch in 2016 with this hardware that will make millions of people rush in a mad rage to get one?

Super Mario Galaxy 3 - EAD Tokyo wrapped on Mario 3D World in fall 2013, given that it takes them on average about 2 years to deliver a new 3D Mario, summer/fall 2016 should be more than overdue for a new 3D Mario.

Animal Crossing Next - IMO this skips the Wii U. Nintendo themselves admits the series works better on handheld and it sells much better on handheld. Could be a no brainer launch title for the NX fusion concept.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Next Level wrapped LM2 in March 2013 ... they haven't delivered Nintendo a game in quite some time (that's almost 2 years ago now). Whenever Nintendo sells 3+ million of any game, a sequel is almost always immediately greenlit ... remember when people though Nintendo would let the DKC series rest for Metroid Prime 4? Nope, Retro was put right back on another DKC, which is pretty much Nintendo's standard operating procedure.

Mario Kart 9 - Might be more of a reach for 2016 ... but not impossible. Nov/Dec 2016 launch would give them 2 1/2 years of development time, which is about the same gap of time between MK7 and MK8.  

Ignoring the elephant in the room which might also be the next Zelda launching for both NX and Wii U, like Twilight Princess did. 

That isn't enough to entice gamers to go out and buy the console in a mad rush. This will only get the core buying it.

They need a FPS, a racing sim, sports games. RPG, and so on ontop of that list to give enough variety to entice people.

If your list is the launch window then the system is doomed from day one.

Soundwave said:

Super Mario Galaxy 3 - The main EAD Tokyo wrapped on Mario 3D World in fall 2013, given that it takes them on average about 2 years to deliver a new 3D Mario, summer/fall 2016 should be more than overdue for a new 3D Mario, that will coming up on three years with just Captain Toad which was done by EAD Tokyo's smaller B team. 

Ignoring the elephant in the room which might also be the next Zelda launching for both NX and Wii U, like Twilight Princess did. I'm starting to suspect SMT x Fire Emblem might be going that route too. 

If anything a good chunk of Nintendo's dev teams have been oddly ... quiet or MIA for a while. 

lol

Is just your wishes, not reality

Click HERE and be happy 

uran10 said:
alternine said:

Hes only stating facts. No need to get so worked up. Whatever NX is, it has to come out soon.

You need to go read the definition of Fact and Opinion then.

So its his opinion that Nintendo isnt doing well?

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

The great irony in it all is that Japan was the one region where the most people were sure the Wii U had a chance at winning. I even recall someone saying that "Japan is the gaming capital of the world and is showing us what is to come in the rest of the world; keep your eye on Japan."

Around the Network

At first the mobile deal made me think Nintendo is no longer compelled to rush out new HW. However, pushing Zelda back after that, also tells me Ninty does not want to "waste" SW on a single, esp. low install based platform. I get the impression Ninty wants to aim for a rich library that allows fans to choose the way they play. Nintendo wants the consumer to feel their HW is a "must have", & dividing platforms works against this. They need NX getting off to a good start.

q4 2016 is the ripe time for new Ninty HH.

alternine said:
uran10 said:

You need to go read the definition of Fact and Opinion then.

So its his opinion that Nintendo isnt doing well?

In Japan, which this thread is about? Yes.

3DS+Wii U are down about 15% YoY, which isn't out of the norm considering 3DS is in its 5th year and Wii U in its 3rd, they are both at a point when sales are expected to be declining and following natural sales curves.

A 3DS successor in 2016 is kinda a given, not because Nintendo isn't doing well but because that's just when a successor was naturally expected to release (5.5 years after launch).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

No, Nintendo just needs more games. DS sold very well because there was a steady stream of games always coming out. I'm sure we'll see some more 3DS system sellers this E3 or even on today's direct.

to be fair home consoles arent doing gangbusters in Japan at all

Mummelmann said:
The great irony in it all is that Japan was the one region where the most people were sure the Wii U had a chance at winning. I even recall someone saying that "Japan is the gaming capital of the world and is showing us what is to come in the rest of the world; keep your eye on Japan."

Really? Ur going to use JohnLucas to generalize an entire group?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.